Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have issues with my tranny sometimes not be able to put it in first, down shifting into 3rd and when accelerating hard in 4th not be able to put it into 5th. I droppped it off to the dealer for the 4th rearend in the car only 16,000 miles 06 model complained about wind noise from the front winshield and the 5th gear issue. They were not able to to find an issue with 5th gear becuase that can't go over 65mph. The wind noise was not taken care of because the tested A standard CTS and said it was normal souding. I guess my question is anybody having issues with there tranny and wind noise.

I have never broken a rearend they have only been replaced do to rearend noise. The 4 rearends is including the factory installed one.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
I have issues with my tranny sometimes not be able to put it in first, down shifting into 3rd and when accelerating hard in 4th not be able to put it into 5th. I droppped it off to the dealer for the 4th rearend in the car only 16,000 miles 06 model complained about wind noise from the front winshield and the 5th gear issue. They were not able to to find an issue with 5th gear becuase that can't go over 65mph.
I don't know what they are called, but here in Texas the auto shops that do the state required vehicle inspections have devices that look like dynomometers. These allow the inspectors to simulate running the car under load, just like a dyno. Any shop with that kind of equipment should be able to duplicate your symptoms without regard physical speed limits.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But my only issue is that there is no dyno type device's at these dealers and it won't do me any good if another shop can duplicate the issue they will not warranty it for me :(

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
You had your diff replaced just due to noise? I thought the consensus was that noise in the diff was normal. I am surprised they replaced your diff but are giving you problems with a transmission issue.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
But my only issue is that there is no dyno type device's at these dealers and it won't do me any good if another shop can duplicate the issue they will not warranty it for me :(
I understand. I was merely suggesting (or hoping?) that even if your dealership did not have a full fledge dyno, which is expensive, that it might have one of these "load simulators" which are apparently much less expensive. If they don't, they don't.

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V
90 Posts
although I dont have the exact same problem I am also having some Tranny issues,,,,

I have a 07 V with 5300 miles on it now. At 2200 miles they rebuilt the transmission because of a hard to shift into 5th gear problem along with reverse grinding into gear after sitting still.

I noticed that anytime im above say 90 or so,,,and shift from 4th to 5th,,,,the reverse lockout gate is open and you can actually hear it come into contact with the spinning reverse gears. so i know thats not right,,

I also have a vibration at about 80mph that comes and goes which from what im reading on here may be a trans issue, and i noticed this morning infact that the grinding in reverse has started again.

and of course i have the leaking differential that everyone has,,,

Supposed to take my car back into the dealer again in a couple of weeks to get it looked at again for the umteenth time,,,maybe they'll luck up and actually fix something this time.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
FYI- The reverse lockout mechanism involves sensors, circuitry and a solenoid as well as mechanical components.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In regards to the Diff replacment Yes I have explained to them the clunk noise and the whinning noise from the rear replaced three times and one drive shaft. My isses with the tranny is its not all the time it can be duplicated with some of the issues. I appreciate your sugestion on the load machine I will try to see if there is any way they can make that happen.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
931 Posts
I have an 04 that I track and used to have problems upshifting and downshifting at high speeds. I fried the clutch at Pocono Raceway two years ago and it was a blessing in disguise. I had Cartech put in a racing clutch and later added a Mallett shifter. I've put more than 25 track days since then and never had a problem.

In fact, I had a Maggie put on this winter and brought it to Pocono this past Thursday. I was downshifting and upshifting at 140+ mph from 4-5 and 5-4 with no problems. (FYI, the Maggie meant an extra 15 mph on the backstretch at Pocono. Used to top out at 148. Now I touched 163 and I know there's more).

The bottom line is the stock clutch is a POS. Buy a good aftermarket clutch and shifter and you won't havce a problem.

·
Premium Member
2005 CTS-V
8,363 Posts
The bottom line is the stock clutch is a POS. Buy a good aftermarket clutch and shifter and you won't havce a problem.
Did your aftermarket clutch include a different flywheel? If so, what type? (i.e. steel or alumium, lighter weight?). Other details also appreciated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts