Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2001 STS
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm looking to buy my friends fathers 2000 Deville - ran the scanner and came up with P0741 & P1860 codes. P0741 is torque converter stuck off and P1860 is a solenoid code if I recall correctly. First off does anyone know if the car is ok to drive like this and for how long? The car shifts into overdrive fine - code P0741 states that with this code the transmission will not shift into 4th gear in hot mode - have no idea what "hot mode" means. The car has 58,000 miles - I can buy the car for $14,000 - what are your suggestions?
Thank You.

Shane.

·
Registered
'05 Expedition
7,651 Posts
buy it anyway.

but seriously, isn't there a way to clear the codes? Then you could get the man to drive it for a week, test it again and see what you get.

Still sounds like a good deal to me.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Buy it, and get an extended warranty..... Drive it until it dies.... if nothing happens, golden, if it breaks, just get it fixed!!!!

·
Registered
01 frontier , 89 Shelby CSX vnt
14,607 Posts
"hot mode"

wonder if its the northstar no coolant limp in deal ?

or is it the typical gm tranny fluid overheat/lockout overdrive deal , i saw it alot on 4l80e's in hummers

worst case on the humvess id drop the tranny pan and replace the faulty solenid

·
Registered
300 Posts
If you have p0741, you will eventually need to replace the torque converter, along with the drive support sprocket and related seals... it's not a real cheap repair(1400 or so), so plan that into your purchase price. Good luck!

·
Registered
2009 DTS Platinum and 2011 DTS Platinum
33 Posts
Typically when you have a p0741 and p1860 tgether you may be able to get away with just the solenoid. What happens is the electrical connector on the solenoids melts. You could need the converter and seals as mastertech says but I see these all the time and when the 1860 is present it just takes the solenoid. Whatever way look at it there is some work to be done and it isn't cheap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts