Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
05' Black V, 11900 miles.

Took it in a few months back for a low coolant level.. the tech couldn't find the leak so the service manager said he'd top it off with coolant and to come back if the light (or navi message) came back on.

Coolant light came back on about 2 weeks ago... took it in and this time he said that he'll have to order a part (radiator)... refilled my coolant and said he'd give me a call when the part came in.

Well - they called me up Friday and said the part was in. No problem with the car so I thought I'd wait til Monday and make an appointment. HOWEVER - take out the V today to run an errand and here's my list of problems:

1. My tranny is slipping and jerking back and forth in any and all gears.
2. The RPM's head up to 2k then back down to under 1k by itself.
3. Coolant gauge goes from 'blank' to '-34' to '199' to '240'? What the hell?

Called up the service manager and told him my situation... he didn't exactly speak his mind on the problem but told me just to bring it in on Monday.

Any idea of the coolant leak and tranny problem are linked? I drive this car like a baby & have never abused the clutch. I know the coolant leak is covered under warranty... what about this tranny problem?

Thanks guys - Grant

·
Registered
'05 CTS-VM 51 track days in Maggied V & 82 in Atom 2 in Volt
1,690 Posts
sounds like clutch is burned up.. do you normally sit at lights with clutch in? Wife hold car on uphill slope with clutch? (didn't somebody 'fess up to that sometime back?):duck:

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Grant -

Have you by chance changed to a CAI? Even if not - your problem of tremendous variation in RPM and the coolant indicator being so erratic is something I've seen on my V - and it tuned out to be a short in the lead coming from the coolant temp sensor. It is located on the driver's side of the engine block, near the #1 spark plug. While pulling the stock airbox to switch to an aftermarket CAI I must have kinked/broke a wire there (or something). Dealer's troubleshooting found the problem, and they ran a new lead and doubled up the harness - problem gone ever since.

The ECM(PCM?) doesn't know what to do with such strange and continuously fluctuating readings and your car will run just as you've described. Suggest the dealer check this out first (wiggle the wires at the plug while the car is idling). Also, it is possible that wherever your coolant leak is has corroded this harness somewhere along the way. My recollection is that the harness runs down the side of the radiator, underneath and across to the passenger side of the car. It is of course part of a larger harness...good luck.

WW

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
:worship: wild, king of mods. I'd be a richer man had I not tried to keep up with him....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow thanks for the posts guys.... I'll keep you up to date on what the Dlr says... BTW the V is 100% stock, have never held the clutch on hills and rarely push in the clutch when idle at stop lights.

Hah, I'm just always thinking the worst - wondering if the Dlr will say 'well it looks like you ragged out this car huh?' lol. Really don't wanna blow $3k+ or whatever on a new tranny myself.

THANKS-Grant

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts
I blew the clutch in my 2004. There were some problems with the early V's clutch and pressure plates as I recall. Also had a problem with the clutch staying to the floor at high rpm launch's. Not good. As I was practicing my launches I kept bogging the car. Also difficult was the F1's unwilling to squeal. I increased launches in 200 rpm increments starting at 2,000. This led to a 3,000 rpm launch, the car doesn't move so I think I've finally got the wheels spinning with no traction and no hop. Then I begin to smell the clutch and quickly let off. Too late. She was hurt and hurt bad. This was part of the reason I bought a 2005.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I would think that if it was air related, like a loose clamp it would have thrown a MAF code or something. I would guess something more mechanical like a bad clutch or tranny rather than a computer problem that would have thrown a code.

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
The temp sensor problem throws zero codes. Trust me, I know. You won't even get a check engine light, nor will it go into limp mode.

The description by gswoff is EXACTLY like my experience with this problem.

WW

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wildwhl, when you solved the problem with coolant temp sensor were there any incidental problems with your tranny... meaning, I'm just afraid that the few miles that I drove the car like this (jerking tranny, etc) may have caused damage to the gears and sort (it sure didn't sound good). How tough is the tranny?

THANKS-Grant

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
The T56 is pretty stout. I doubt there are any problems with your tranny at this point, though it may seem that way with how the car is running. Hope my guess is right and that it is a simple electrical gremlin. My tranny was, and still is, fine.

WW

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wildwhl - you we're exactly right.. thanks again.. just got the call from the Dlr who said thair tech found a 'problem' with the coolant sensor wiring. Also replaced the radiator (which I already knew about). THANKS... now let's see how she rides after all this.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
:worship: WW master tech and all around great guy.. we loooove you maannn...but you still can't have my Bud light...

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Denniscars -

just a been there, done that moment. Glad to hear it worked (is working) out, Grant.

BTW - denniscars - you'd have to give me that ratty old vette of yours to get me to even consider drinking Bud Light :banghead:

WW

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Now a question back at all of you (of course I could search).

Seems I'm losing a cup or two of radiator coolant every week :nono:

Don't see any leaks, haven't had that strange anitfreeze smell, and don't see any leaks, BUT my temp is a lot more varied then it ever was before. Seemed to be 190 nearly always, and now I see it rise to 200 while idling and drop to 186 while driving. No fan strategy change - I'm thinking lost pressure :(

WW

·
Registered
'04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V, '13ZL1, '12 V, '16 Z06 SC757
6,440 Posts
wildwhl said:
Now a question back at all of you (of course I could search).

Seems I'm losing a cup or two of radiator coolant every week :nono:

Don't see any leaks, haven't had that strange anitfreeze smell, and don't see any leaks, BUT my temp is a lot more varied then it ever was before. Seemed to be 190 nearly always, and now I see it rise to 200 while idling and drop to 186 while driving. No fan strategy change - I'm thinking lost pressure :(

WW
Same symptoms as mine. They found the leak.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
wildwhl said:
BTW - denniscars - you'd have to give me that ratty old vette of yours to get me to even consider drinking Bud Light :banghead:

WW
part of the master plan my friend, part of the master plan..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts