Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Catera non-sport with 68,000 miles

When first driving from a cold start the engine revs to about 4000-4500rpm before shifting (under normal acceleration), then the tranny acts normal and shifts comfortably. Has anyone experienced a high revving tranny when cold?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yup, my '97 does the same thing when cold. It's programmed to do that to heat up the oil sooner. After driving for a few seconds or so everything settles down to normal.

·
Registered
42 Posts
dadenkern said:
2001 Catera non-sport with 68,000 miles

When first driving from a cold start the engine revs to about 4000-4500rpm before shifting (under normal acceleration), then the tranny acts normal and shifts comfortably. Has anyone experienced a high revving tranny when cold?
Hi,
my 2000 Sport does the same. It's designed that way to warm up the catalysts
faster.

I don't like revving cold engines, so when I drive off in the morning, I lift my
foot of the accelerator pedal at 2500 - 3000 rpms and after a couple of seconds the tranny shifts and acts normally from then on.

·
Registered
42 Posts
ikarukeion said:
A remote starter for winter use would allow the engine to heat up at a lower rpm.

Hi,

that's not only THE worst for your engine, it's THE worst for your environment too.

Start your engine, let it idle for maybe five seconds if you live in a cold climate and then drive away. The engine will warm up much faster and will
start to produce heated air in no time.

If you just let your car sit and idle, it will take much more time than under load to warm up the engine, ergo it will take your catalysts longer to warm up, ergo WAY more pollution.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I drive to work 2 miles. I always let the engine warm up for a minute or so. Otherwise, it sounds very rough. Plus, watch the fuel level arrow move once you step on it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
8 Participants
R-Caddy