Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac SRX4 Luxury
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at putting a trailer hitch on it and not sure I like the looks of the opening where the panel is removed for it. What did everybody do and how’s it look. Anyone got a pic of one?

·
Registered
2016 SRX Luxury
34 Posts
Photo with the cover off - not too bad, but it does look better with the cover on. I found a new GM Trailer Hitch Cover, Part # 19172271 on ebay for $55 a couple of month ago, but they usually go for around $90 and up. Here's the list of parts I ended up buying for this little project:

GM Trailer Hitch Cover, OEM Part # 19172271 - $55
Tekonsha Trailer Wiring Harness Kit, Part # 118259 - $22
GM Trailer Hitch, OEM Part # 22758505 - $350 plus $27 shipping
Mounting Bracket For Trailer Hitch Wiring 4-Way Flat Connector, Part # 118144 from Hitchmart - $11

Attachments

·
Registered
'14 SRX4 Premium silver-coast/shale-brownstone
746 Posts
Someone from the forum added an aftermarket hitch but didn't get the larger cover to hide the hitch, they modified the shallower one to only expose the drawbar socket and chain connectors. Alternative to getting the larger cover. Search the forum to find it, if your interested.

Max

·
Registered
2016 SRX Luxury
34 Posts
If I were to do it over again, I would buy a good aftermarket hitch rather than the GM for two reasons: First, a good aftermarket hitch is at least $200 cheaper, and second, it's easier to install. I still like the GM hitch cover, provided you can find it for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
2012 SRX Luxury
269 Posts
I installed a Curt hitch. Fit perfectly. As mentioned earlier much c less expensive than the GM one. here is a link to the guy who modded the original cover:

Phil

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies I will check out all options. I was thinking after market hitch and the large cover. I also thinking of making my own. I ran a welding shop a few years ago and use the cover.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Anyone use Husky hitch. Found one on eBay in Canada at a good price. Most on here use Curt hitch.
Any feed back is good.

·
Registered
2012 SRX4 Premium
159 Posts
Excuse me if this is overly simplistic, but isn't a hitch a hitch? If you don't want to shell out for the factory unit just go with your wallet. Think myself I'd go GM though. Might be worth the extra coin in resale value.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Excuse me if this is overly simplistic, but isn't a hitch a hitch? If you don't want to shell out for the factory unit just go with your wallet. Think myself I'd go GM though. Might be worth the extra coin in resale value.
The quality and the tolerance between two different manufacturers does make a difference. If holes don’t lineup up as well on one than the other that’s the difference. I worked in a sheet metal shop for many years and that’s why I asked if anyone has an installed one of these.

·
Registered
2012 SRX Luxury
373 Posts
The holes in my Curt didn't line up 'exactly' as I would have hoped. I ended up making it work but it was a PIA to get the bolts in. And they dragged badly going in. It will never come off though! It'll have to be cut off with a torch now! I've towed several times with it. It's not my primary towing vehicle though. (It's the wife's car)

Steve

·
Registered
2013 Cadillac SRX
100 Posts
I installed a Curt and it fit perfectly. The supplied electrical connector fit perfectly as well.

It is highly unlikely that GM actually makes their hitch. The hitch is just like the other thousands
of parts that GM buys from their suppliers and assembles into their cars. The quality of the
Curt was top notch and looked just like the GM supplied hitches that I have seen. I suspect
that Curt is the supplier for GM hitches.

·
Registered
2016 SRX Premium- Black on Black
57 Posts
I have the trailer towing package on my 2016 SRX AWD.
Other than everything looks "factory installed" I don't see anything unique.

I believe with the towing package the boost in towing weight from 2500# to 3500# is related to the AWD and the optional transmission cooler.

I'd go with the aftermarket receiver and just either modify the cover or buy the OEM receiver cover

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I ordered a husky hitch and wire harness off eBay that I said coming out of Ontario. I like ordering from Canada because of quick shipping.

·
Registered
2012 SRX Luxury
373 Posts
I added the trailer hitch to mine and also added the transmission cooler too. That as mentioned raises the towing from 2500lbs to 3500lbs. These vehicles need that cooler anyway IMO. The tranny fluid was toast after 46k miles. A flush and adding the cooler has made it much better at 76k miles now.

Steve

·
Registered
2011 SRX Luxury with Navigation
168 Posts
FWIW, I bought and installed THIS HITCH on my 2011 SRX, and the factory cover worked without modification. It's a tight fit, but here we are 10 years later and it's been fine.

YMMV

1 - 20 of 31 Posts