Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Escalade
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a ticket the other day for making a right turn on a red light ($150). I have heard about a spray that blurs your license plate so that you can't be identified for the ticket. Has anybody tried this stuff? Not trying to break the law, but if it was an actual cop, I would not have been sighted because I almost came to stop.

·
Registered
Cadillac
231 Posts
ive got a tinted tag cover and put more tint over it. its pretty much black. its probably illegal but itll be okay.

i think they did a test on mythbusters thought that nothing can do this.

get a piece of magnet the same color as the tag and put it over the last digit. it may work ha.

·
Registered
'01 Pearl White - Sold 10/11, '09 Raven Black :)
737 Posts
Hey you need the Pioneer F900BT head unit and the hacked update for it that displays traffic cams and warns you when approaching it, speed limits, etc. lol

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
I got a ticket the other day for making a right turn on a red light ($150). I have heard about a spray that blurs your license plate so that you can't be identified for the ticket. Has anybody tried this stuff? Not trying to break the law, but if it was an actual cop, I would not have been sighted because I almost came to stop.
ALMOST stopping is NOT stopping. You got caught fair and square, don't be a sore loser.

I know this because I got the IDENTICAL ticket you did FROM A COP for the SAME reason, I slowed down to a near stop and then kept rolling. Mine was $180.00.

As for the sprays, covers and other nonsense... save your money as it is all a waste. I've thought about this in the past and probably the only truly effective solution would be a clear plate cover with a liquid crystal screen behind it that would turn all grey when you flip a switch, but even then you would have to know when to turn it on and you can't drive around with it like that all the time.

It would get you through tolls though :D

·
Super Moderator
2018 GMC Sierra, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
12,114 Posts
Mythbusters had an episode that tested all these sprays and covers. They're all worthless to prevent the cameras from catching you. With regards to a dark tinted cover, those are illegal in my state and will get you a citation. I'm with you that those big brother cameras are BS. It's best just to drive carefully.

·
Registered
Escalade
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do drive safely. This was my first citation in at least 5 years. My biggest problem with traffic cameras is that I was not given teh opportunity to vote for or against this. They are using my tax dollars to funnel more money from me and if I can get a can of spray for $20 that prevent BIG BROTHER from hitting me up for even more, then I take it as a form of voting. HA!

·
Registered
2003 Escalde, 2007 DTS
532 Posts
My two cents..............
If there is ANY way possible for the local/state agencies to make a dime in the long run, they will do it. Kind of hard to fight a camera, but how do you prove that there was a mistake anyway? Sort of like how do you prove a meter was improperly working and you get a $100 parking ticket? You can test the meter yourself, but not so easy with these stupid cameras all over the place.
Reminds me of the cashier-less check outs now in almost every store. How many times has the price come up wrong?? I know, I check the prices as they scan. I can be on the price is right, and would win for sure...lol
Things break and sometimes are not reliable.....just look at our escalades lol

Fellas.............it always about the almighty dollar. AND how to accumulate more!!!!!! :stirpot:

·
Super Moderator
2018 GMC Sierra, 1995 Jeep Wrangler
12,114 Posts
You're both right. You can't take the camera to court and there's no way to prove whether you did or didn't stop. I'm against ANYTHING big brother puts out there just to screw the taxpayer over.

·
Registered
Escalade
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well is there anything I can legally do to protect myself. For example, I leave for work @ 3:30am. Consistently, I approach this one red light and I am doing 60 and whenever a vehicle is approach it goes to yellow then red, even when no one else is approaching the intersection. All of the other lights only change when another vehicle is at the intersection, but this one works just the opposite. Of course, it has a traffic cam. Its a set up. Its not there to help anybody out, just to get our money.

·
Registered
2003 Escalde, 2007 DTS
532 Posts
No choice but to stop.....I know the feeling though. Like I said before, any way to make a buck!!! Believe me when I tell you, its only going to get worse. In time, these electronic gadgets are going to ge sooooo cheap, that they are going to be everywhere. Nice way for the Police Depts to add new cars and new hires. Wish it were that easy for the Fireman as well.............Firemen hold out the collection boot twice a year and have a BBQ fund raiser to raise money for a new truck, one that they really need.
I just opened a can of worms here. What gets me really gloing is the waste of money, and everyone has their hand out for more.
I can't tell you how many times I pass my local PD and there are 20 plus new cars in the lot. We even have a new $300K communications vehicle. You gotta see this thing. I live in a small town in Lancaster PA. The only time we see these two $300K vehicles in actual use is in the once a year town parade.
We have those silly cameras everywhere. To make it owrse, they even charge us with parking meters in town when we try to shop the local businesses rather than the mass stores.
When is it going to stop??? NEVER.
MY THREE CENTS ON THAT TOPIC lol

·
Registered
Escalade
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's my point... if the camera's were really for public safety, put the everywhere, not just the 'gotcha' intersections. Put them in school zones, neighborhoods and every frickin stop sign. Then you make everyone have to drive safely all the time. Until that happens, its just a money making scheme that I have the right to protect myself from, especially when I do not get to vote on whether to even have the damn camera and more importantly how the fees/fines money is spent.

·
Registered
Escalade EXT
45 Posts
Here where I live, they are at the most dangerous intercevtions, in terms of the number of accidents. I can tell you, as far as the area here is concerned, I'd like to see them in mor eplaces. With that being said, there are some instances where the citizen is not afforded a fair shake. Recently a saw a story on TV in which a police officer waived a driver thru a red light around some construction, and you guessed it, she got tagged. It took the news story to get the situation rectified. The way they do it, needs to be looked at, to make it resonalble IMHO. ...and just my .02, I think it is more about safty than money, although the city certainly does not mind the extra change.

To play Devil's Advocate for a second, why would anyone want to do something in order to be able to run a red light? :stirpot:

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
If you don't break the law they can't give you a ticket.

·
Registered
Cadillac
58 Posts
For the intersections with cameras, you must stop for 5secs before making the turn.. My house is down the block from one and believe me, I see that flash going off to drivers that dont stop or do the "california roll" while making a right turn alot more than drivers running the damn light..

stay on safe side and stop for a few seconds before continuing on.

·
Registered
2006 ext, 2005 srx
37 Posts
:tisk::tisk:Mythbusters did a show on the sprays plate covers etc non worked the only thing that did work was the james bond style flipping licence plate. Bottom line obey the law and you won't get a ticket.:tisk::tisk:

·
Registered
2004 Cadillac Escalade ESV
360 Posts
I kinda lucked out. Here in NC, they had those cameras in some intersections, and they actually SHORTENED the time of the yellow light to catch more people. They did a story, and the yellow lights were averaging 2.5 to 3 seconds. So for that reason, people were slamming on the brakes to avoid going through the light, and thus causing accidents. To make it worse, the money collected was supposed to be split to help with education, and it wasn't - so the judge made a ruling to outlaw the cameras.

Lucky me - I got caught with two of those tix.

In theory, the spray stuff works, but only if it's at night time. The way it works is this - the spray is highly reflective, so when the camera flashes, the flash is such a contrast to the surrounding light of the plate that it shows up overexposed (just a really bright blur) in the traffic pic.

·
Registered
Cadillac
30 Posts
my only advice to everybody go down to you're nearest cadillac dealer and get a paper plate advertising the dealer I have not put my plates on my caddy for 8 years and have only gotten 2 fixed tickets which only cost me $20.00 DOLLARS EACH AND I GET TO DRIVE ON TOLL ROADS FOR FREE !!!!
cant beat it>>>>>>>>>>>:cool:

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
With the locals getting less money from government the police are giving out tickets at an alarming rate, be careful, I just give the police all the wax they want and they leave me alone. ;)

·
Registered
2003 Escalde, 2007 DTS
532 Posts
Its all about safety??? You have got to be kidding. They do in fact do impact studies to determine dangerous locations. They are usually dangerous becuase they were developed improperly. You can bet the insurance companies have major roles in SAVING money on claims, especially to those areas where there are always claims. The local police departments make as much as 40% of their revenue due to those tickets. Installing cheap unmanned cameras are a cash cow! BTW, the State also gets a nice cut, as well as the court fund, the 911 emergency fund, the CAT fund, and a bunch of other funds get richer at our expense. A $25 ticket here costs $110 with those "needed??" fees.
I always say it....................its all about the dollar to everyone, especially GOVERNMENT!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts