Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6L AWD Performance
451 Posts
Cadillac Is Bringing Back Real Model Names in 2022
(article at link)

Probably the best decision they've made in a while...though it's hard to say whether this is the start of 'righting the ship', brand-wise, or just another change of direction that they're throwing at the wall to see if it sticks. I kind of wish they'd just dive in and name everything for the '22 MY, instead of waiting for CTx/XTx models to phase out...most of the current names haven't been around long enough to secure 'real' equity in the minds of the buying public. Instead, we'll wait for the next named sedan model that replaces both the CT4 and CT5...gee, that story sounds familiar. :LOL:

So does the ridiculous torque-derived model name structure also get to go away?...it wouldn't be soon enough...lol.

·
Registered
2016 Escalade ESV, 2017 GMC Sierra 6.2
1,467 Posts
I would love to see names on these cars again. Hopefully some new names.
I think EVs are cool and neat but there is gonna have to be some significant advances in battery and charging technologies before they can replace the ICE. Gas/electric hybrid I’m ok with.

·
Registered
Cadillac ATS
272 Posts
To be honest, I have no idea if Cadillac knows what they are doing. The CT4 and CT5 aren't even out yet, and they are already getting strategically phased out. Atleast in terms of nomenclature, I don't think the transition from JDN to the new head of Cadillac has gone smooth at all.

The Escala, just release it already. Hybrid version and all electric, give the people what they want.

·
Registered
2013 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury
1,025 Posts
The goonies have gone all electric. So focused on trends and what’s in Time Magasine that they completely missed the upcoming revolution of electro fuels producing fuels for ICE capturing CO2 out of the air instead of dirty, dangerous, heavy batteries damaging our planet.

That happens when the engineers are told to go FY.

Batteries will be an intermittent low-tech technology and you will keep driving V8s in the end. Wonder when all the highly paid executives realizes this. Hopefully before they build all the battery factories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
While we are in the topic of trends, self driving, autonomous vehicles are really far away too. The enormous amounts of intelligence, inputs, and reactions needed for that are proving to be a HUGE challenge. 2-3 years ago when this subject was a big deal, everyone thought it was right around the corner but they aren’t much closer today.
Self driving vehicles could definitely be a reality in certain controlled environments like retirement communities, campuses, or large complexes (malls, airports,etc) but in the great wide open roads it’s gotta be still at least 10 years away.

·
Registered
2013 Cadillac CTS 3.6 Sport Luxury
1,025 Posts
Same psychology behind that trend. Who is it that just wants such car?

Uber would surely want it because the driver is an expense. But do the Uber customers want this?

And is the Uber business model ever going to be sustainable. So far not so good performance in terms of earnings.

For the rest of us: some maybe likes this. But what is the purpose?

Safety: okay, but why not make all safety functions as driver support systems.
Efficiency: pulling out the laptop and send mails to collegues while on highways. Sorry I’m not going to do this. Do we really need to be efficient all the time?

Here is a graphic of the present status of self-driving. Mostly based on artificial intelligence. I have seen enough. I don’t trust it. Go solve real problems instead of making people unemployed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,786 Posts
I will admit that I am a Tesla fan. And will be buying one in the future. Yes I will purchase the Autopilot feature. However, as stated above full self driving is way into the future.

There are people out there who believe that it’s very near and that it would very foolish not to buy a Tesla now. Because the full self driving will allow the car owner to “Uber it out” while they are at work. Uhhhh screw that. I will not let my car drive other people around. People are disgusting creatures of habit. Some have the “not my car, idc” mind set. I mentioned that some where. And someone responded with “but that is an income and you can have it fixed using that income.” Um what?!? Why the heck would I want to use the money I just earned to fix something that someone else broke. Then pay a lawyer to sue that person yada yada yada. There’s that possibility that the income just went out the window, or worse I’d have to pay out of pocket as well because the fix cost more than the income.

So I am buying a Tesla for just myself and my family, not for someone else to use while I’m at work.

KOT

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Tesla. I see that company in a very negative way.
Tesla is a “what’s hot and trendy now” company. It reminds me of Hummer when it first can out (although environmental opposite). After the cool factor wears off and Tesla continues to mostly not make a profit...sales will drop and the company will shrink or go out of business.
The no dealership model is interesting but very problematic. Manufacturers build vehicles and dealerships talk/listen to people and can provide useful feedback to the manufacturer. The disconnect without a dealer network will slowly cause major issues.
You can buy a Tesla, but you don’t own it. They own you and your car. What I mean by that is that Tesla wants complete control over your car’s software, parts, and service. You want to replace a broken cup holder or replace a missing lug nut. You can’t. Tesla won’t sell you parts. You have to take it into approved service people. Independent service is not something they want.
Unless they change, it’s an example of the worst copyright infringement style, attack companies out there. No thanks. I’ll wait until the other major manufacturers take over this segment before considering an EV.
EVs are coming, but can anyone really see its market share getting higher then 25% compared to ICE or gas/electric hybrids??

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,786 Posts
There are plenty of people out there who have bought salvaged Teslas and have bought the needed parts from Tesla to rebuild it. And there is a large aftermarket out there too. That includes remanufactured parts.

They have changed from that “copyright“ issue you’re talking about. Where they will honor repairs and such. There was a time when they wouldn’t honor a safety recall on a salvaged vehicle, but now they will. As long as it drives into the shop. But that maybe all dealer/manufacturers as well.

KOT

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tesla. I see that company in a very negative way.
Tesla is a “what’s hot and trendy now” company. It reminds me of Hummer when it first can out (although environmental opposite). After the cool factor wears off and Tesla continues to mostly not make a profit...sales will drop and the company will shrink or go out of business.
The no dealership model is interesting but very problematic. Manufacturers build vehicles and dealerships talk/listen to people and can provide useful feedback to the manufacturer. The disconnect without a dealer network will slowly cause major issues.
You can buy a Tesla, but you don’t own it. They own you and your car. What I mean by that is that Tesla wants complete control over your car’s software, parts, and service. You want to replace a broken cup holder or replace a missing lug nut. You can’t. Tesla won’t sell you parts. You have to take it into approved service people. Independent service is not something they want.
Unless they change, it’s an example of the worst copyright infringement style, attack companies out there. No thanks. I’ll wait until the other major manufacturers take over this segment before considering an EV.
EVs are coming, but can anyone really see its market share getting higher then 25% compared to ICE or gas/electric hybrids??
I would have loved to agree fully here with you and I'm with you with regards to what you say about Tesla wanting to control you and your car and you don't have full ownership, but as sad as it might sound this will be the future and Tesla will survive. The comparison with Hummer underestimates the power and Technique of Tesla

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I had the chance to drive a Tesla Model 3. I put about 10 miles on it and spent another 30 minutes or more just playing around inside the car.
I see the appeal. It’s neat. Overall I’m not impressed. It’s not any nicer then a Chevy Malibu.
I didn’t like the credit card key that you have pull out and wave around to unlock the doors or start the car. A passive key FOB is way better.
This car had white seats. Yikes. Those will be hard to keep clean and nice.
I played around a lot with the big screen in the middle of the dash since that is what basically controls everything in the car. They did a decent job of making functions somewhat easy to find and use. But it’s still strange to have to mess around with a radio touchscreen in the middle of the dash just to turn on the wipers and other functions that would otherwise have levers, switches, and knobs for. And I looked everywhere and never found the odometer mileage. I could not see how many miles were on this Tesla.

·
Registered
Mercedes C300 Luxury - ATS retired (torque coverter shudder)
719 Posts
Good god, the absence of short, mid and long term planning is astonishing.

freakin' embarrassing

·
Registered
2007 SRX AWD
176 Posts
I would have loved to agree fully here with you and I'm with you with regards to what you say about Tesla wanting to control you and your car and you don't have full ownership, but as sad as it might sound this will be the future and Tesla will survive. The comparison with Hummer underestimates the power and Technique of Tesla
At least my tax $$ haven't been used to bail Tesla out which is more than I can say for GM where we just forgave them a 12 billion dollar 'loan' here in Canada so they could close their plant and move it to China and the jobs along with it.

·
Registered
2015 XTS Premium
1,149 Posts
CADILLAC - STOP CHANGING YOUR NAMING SCHEME!!!! PICK SOMETHING AND STICK WITH IT!!!!

This is a major component of why you continue to struggle...you can't build a reputation when people don't know your cars, and people can't get to know your cars when you keep axing them every 5 years!!!

There are plenty of people out there who have bought salvaged Teslas and have bought the needed parts from Tesla to rebuild it. And there is a large aftermarket out there too. That includes remanufactured parts.

They have changed from that “copyright“ issue you’re talking about. Where they will honor repairs and such. There was a time when they wouldn’t honor a safety recall on a salvaged vehicle, but now they will. As long as it drives into the shop. But that maybe all dealer/manufacturers as well.

KOT
Tesla does not sell spare parts to anyone but authorized dealers. A salvage rebuild of a Tesla is prohibitively expensive and extremely dangerous...not to mention impossible if you aren't properly connected. Rich Benoit is pretty much the authority, outside of authorized dealers, on rebuilding Teslas...he's one of only a handful of people who have pulled it off successfully. Listen to his interview with Rogan to get all the details.

Tesla has a very long way to go before we can consider them a legit competitor. Before the announcement of that joke they call a "truck", I would have said they were at least on the right track...but now, not so sure. I personally won't go near one of their products until I can trust the company. They have major quality issues and when I can't even tell if they're serious about the new models they announce (that "truck" has got to be a prank)...well that's not a company i'm going to give $80k to.

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
7,971 Posts
It does make you wonder who (if anyone?) is making decisions at Cadillac HQ. The current CT4/5/6 / XT4/5/6 naming convention is just getting established, and they're immediately going to replace it?

·
Registered
2009 Crystal Red CTS AWD / DI
28 Posts
Crazy talk, just crazy! I was holding off on an 2017-8 ATS-V purchase to see what the 2020 CT5-V had in store. Now, this announcement has at least the nameplate being replaced before the car is even on the street. What is going on?!

·
Registered
2006 STS-V
657 Posts
I’d much prefer going back to Coupe de Villes and Sedan de Villes, Eldorados, Sevilles, Broughams, Fleetwoods, Calais, and maybe a ragtop model but not the Cimarron! :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts