Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
CTS-V
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday I picked up a loaded red CTS-V and gave up my precious 2007 specially ordered Aston Martin Vantage - mainly because of the recession. This move cuts my car payments in half. The Aston had a proper english interior done in saddle light tan with a factory custom burr Walnut door and console trim - the first ever made with Factory wood. I put 22,000 fabulous miles on the car in 2 years. The Aston was a 6-Speed which became problematic as I has a Sciatic Nerve flair up. The aural sensation of the exhaust made the car appear much quicker than actual, along with the low sitting position.

Now that I spent a few days with the Caddilac (automatic because of the nerve) here is my impression:

It feels much slower than the Aston I think because of the higher seating position and the silence, even though I know it's quicker. Handling and ride seems to be very similar, but again sitting lower gives a different feel in the Aston. The Aston's likely to get slightly better gas mileage (17 MPG city and 24 Highway is what I was getting).

Overall I'm very impressed with the CTS-V, but would have preferred light saddle leather and wood trim for a luxury feel... the Aston felt like a high performance Rolls Royce. Trading from dealer stock and wanting an automatic and avoiding Black color though limits choices! I did get a great deal on the trade.

The electronics in the CTS-V and features blow away the Aston which must have the worst and cheapest looking NAV system on the market, the switch gear on the Aston was high class - the Cadillac seems more plastic parts bin, but you get alot for the price - so no real complaints.

Oddly I got few looks in the Aston, I thought I'd get none with the CTS-V, but it's about the same.

Rick H

·
Registered
09 V Sedan, 2012 V sedan
282 Posts
You may have cut your payments in half but the fun factor is going to be right there as before!!!

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T
3,085 Posts
I completely agree with the sensation of speed. It actually comes from the magnetic ride suspension. It absorbs all the little bumps you'd feel during high acceleration so the road "feels" the same at a faster speed as it does at a slow speed. Very very decieving

·
Registered
2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
4,537 Posts
You gave up an Aston Martin for a V? Wow. I'm sorry to hear the reasons why. :(

Welcome to a slightly bigger fraternity, though, you'll have lots of fun with this car. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
STS, XLR, STS V-Series, CTS V-Series, XTS....
3,404 Posts
Congrats on the new car. Its always interesting to hear what other cars people are coming out of to get into the new CTS-V.

Have fun and enjoy. SoCal is a little spoiled in the vehicles people normally see driving around everyday, but I am sure you will get plenty of looks. One of our customers has a Spyker as his toy and the STS-V Stage 3 as his driver...He gets rubbernecked in both cars. Give us a call if you need some attention getters.

Thanks,

Dr. D
D3 Cadillac

Saturday I picked up a loaded red CTS-V and gave up my precious 2007 specially ordered Aston Martin Vantage - mainly because of the recession. This move cuts my car payments in half. The Aston had a proper english interior done in saddle light tan with a factory custom burr Walnut door and console trim - the first ever made with Factory wood. I put 22,000 fabulous miles on the car in 2 years. The Aston was a 6-Speed which became problematic as I has a Sciatic Nerve flair up. The aural sensation of the exhaust made the car appear much quicker than actual, along with the low sitting position.

Now that I spent a few days with the Caddilac (automatic because of the nerve) here is my impression:

It feels much slower than the Aston I think because of the higher seating position and the silence, even though I know it's quicker. Handling and ride seems to be very similar, but again sitting lower gives a different feel in the Aston. The Aston's likely to get slightly better gas mileage (17 MPG city and 24 Highway is what I was getting).

Overall I'm very impressed with the CTS-V, but would have preferred light saddle leather and wood trim for a luxury feel... the Aston felt like a high performance Rolls Royce. Trading from dealer stock and wanting an automatic and avoiding Black color though limits choices! I did get a great deal on the trade.

The electronics in the CTS-V and features blow away the Aston which must have the worst and cheapest looking NAV system on the market, the switch gear on the Aston was high class - the Cadillac seems more plastic parts bin, but you get alot for the price - so no real complaints.

Oddly I got few looks in the Aston, I thought I'd get none with the CTS-V, but it's about the same.

Rick H

·
Registered
CTS-V 2009 White Diamond, 996TT Silver, G35 Coupe 6mt, M45S
413 Posts
I think the lack of speed sensation is also due to the very linear power from the supercharger. My 996tt turbo charger gives you the boost such that you really feel it. It *really* wants to go fast, where as the V is more subdued.

Hans.

·
Registered
238 Posts
In time you may feel that you traded up.

I was about to say that.. The Aston is HOT, but I am damn near willing to say that the CTS-V is just as hot. I have always said that the XLR-V is as slick as am Aston Vantage already.. if it had the LSA or even LS7 under the hood it would murder it.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
238 Posts
I think the lack of speed sensation is also due to the very linear power from the supercharger. My 996tt turbo charger gives you the boost such that you really feel it. It *really* wants to go fast, where as the V is more subdued.

Hans.
I think that as well. It's almost as if this car wants to be a CADILLAC instead of a Four Door ZR1. What gives???:hmm:

·
Registered
2018 CT6E, old: 2014 XTS Vsport, 2005 CTS-V, 2004 CTS-V.
2,733 Posts
Got to remember Aston Martin was once owned by Ford. Ford does not have anything that competes with the aside from Volvo R! :)

Nice down grade.

Norm

·
Registered
'09 CTS-V
231 Posts
Often wondered what an Aston owner feels are the high points on that car. Great sound, nice outer styling and the finish is premium. I glad to hear the V wasn't too much of a let down.

I would suggest the transmission tune from Waitforme. It will improve the responsiveness of the Auto-tranny. It may improve the feel of the car a bit for you.

·
Registered
CTS-V
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm probably going to try the wait4me option...

This is my third supercharged car .... the first one was an AMG SLK 32 - it was a hoot, light weight, very responsive. But at 8,000 miles the power went and both AMG and Mercedes would not stand by "power" in their warranty. The blower was on a system similar to an AC- compressor, the belt turned without turning the compressor until the computer said so... this kept the gas mileage very good while still giving instant power when needed. The problem was in the software that controlled all of this complexity - AMG knew there was a problem and would not stand by it. The dealer however did chase over $10,000 in warranty work charged to Mecedes an never did find a fix.

The second is in the picture - a 1982 Porche 928 with a 355 GM based Blower Motor 6-71 with 600 HP and 600 LBS torque - and just over 3,000 pounds... No A/C - no heat - like a real Hot Wheels Car!

And the third being the CTS-V

Rick H

Attachments

·
Registered
None
1,151 Posts
Nice comparison, Rick. Sad to see that you let the Aston go, but hopefully you'll be very happy with the V.

I've only had my V for about a week now, and I traded over from a 2009 Jaguar XF Supercharged. I got way more looks and compliments in the Jag than I seem to be getting in the V. But I do like the V, and it's growing on me more and more each day.

Tony

1 - 14 of 14 Posts