Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2001 DHS
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I switch traction off it still gets engaged when wheels slip, is that normal safety operation ? Is there a way to fully turn traction off?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,977 Posts
It is not normal. Turning off T/C should disable it and allow the wheels to spin freely.

·
Registered
2001 DHS
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I noticed today in snow when I pressed TC it showed me OFF on the screen however I could feel and see it engaging on the screen which seemed strange to me. Do you know where I can start by looking at the fix for this? No codes

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Under extreme conditions the PCM will cut power even with the TCS turned off. However it shouldn't say traction engaged when that happens.

Also, if you get the wheels spinning fast enough, the transmission will shift, and the wheels will slow/stop. This can feel very much like TCS engaging.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,105 Posts
Traction Control is one thing. Torque Management and Power Limiting are two others - and are not affected by the TC switch.

Those, and other vehicle/powertrain control systems, are discussed in the GM/Helm service manuals - not in the owner's manual.

You wanna feel those other systems kick in ?? Smooth asphalt. Dead stop. Stick in 1 and floor it - chances are, you'll feel like you just lost 4 cylinders - which is what happened. Ease off the gas and all 8 cylinders come back. You need to practice getting one of these cars off the line quickly and front (drive) wheel traction has a LOT to do with launches. Good, sticky drive wheel traction and TC off and these cars will not launch worth a damn. Tire choice and tread compounds have a lot to do with this phenomenon.

·
Registered
2001 DHS
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The thing is I was driving uphill on snowy road and my RPM wasn't going above 2500, the same feel you would get when traction control is kicking in. Also my display was showing "traction engaged"

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
Did you shut off/restart the car at any point before this happened?

Sure you didn't hit the button again by accident?

·
Registered
2001 DHS
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE: At one point when I shut the car off and started again mysteriously it started functioning as normal

·
Administrator
69,105 Posts
Traction Control will reset itself to ON every time you stop the engine. You need to manually disable it EVERY time you start the car.

Hit the button, DIC says TRACTION DISABLED. Hit the button again, DIC says TRACTION ENABLED. Turn off the car and restart, no messages but traction IS enabled - automatically, every time.

Your snowy hill scenario, traction disabled - wheelspin - anything can happen with the wheelspin, power limiting and stability systems.

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
Spent some time having fun in empty parking lots over the last couple days. If the stick's in 1 (and TC is Off), it'll allow MUCH more wheel spin and higher RPM before it cuts power. Much better when you're trying to get through the deeper stuff.

·
Registered
Has: 1997 Deville, 2008 VW GTI Stage 2+, now with K04 turbo
135 Posts
Spent some time having fun in empty parking lots over the last couple days. If the stick's in 1 (and TC is Off), it'll allow MUCH more wheel spin and higher RPM before it cuts power. Much better when you're trying to get through the deeper stuff.
Back from the dead...

Does this work with the Deville (mine's a '97 base) as well, and does keeping the shifter in "1" allow for launching in first gear even with TC OFF? I could have sworn last time I attempted to manually select first gear with TC OFF it still launched in 2nd gear.

The reason I ask is I'm trying to get my 60ft times down at the drag strip. Best I can do is a 2.3 60ft on my way to 15,2 second quarter miles. I have to launch really softly to avoid tire spin which causes the ECU to instantly cut power. I know I could shave at least a tenth off my 60ft if I could get a little "chirp" without my ECU intruding.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
They all work the same... 1st gear TC off and you will get a ton of wheel spin. I messed with it some on/off and seemed my butt dyno said better offline with it on. With correct tires and on a track I bet off would result in better offline.

·
Registered
Has: 1997 Deville, 2008 VW GTI Stage 2+, now with K04 turbo
135 Posts
So to clarify, you're saying it IS possible to turn TC off and launch a Deville in 1st gear? Maybe I didn't try manually selecting when "1" I've used TC OFF but I could have sworn I did. In any case, the few times I've tried launching with TC OFF it launched in 2nd gear and felt far slower than launching with TC ON and rolling into the throttle to avoid any spin/ triggering a power cut. .

I'd go out and try it myself but my car is parked in a downtown parking spot and I don't want to give up that rare spot that fits a full-sized Cadillac...

·
Administrator
69,105 Posts
Look at the other thread that you dug up .......... the 1/4 mile question ...... more info there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts