Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I did a search (should of done one before I posted :) ) and apparently, we can dispose of TC however, the car then starts in 2nd! I don't like that! Has anybody seen or heard of a method to make it start in 1st with TC off?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Thanks for answering. I really don't have any reasons to turn it off, in fact, I can get wheel spin (about as much as I'd probably want if I were controlling the throttle before backing off myself) before it kicks in. The emissions guy had to do a different test on the car because the test up here in WA they put the car on a dynometer type device and traction control sometimes is a bear on these things!

·
Registered
1993 STS and 2004 DTS
564 Posts
On a 93' or 94' STS the traction control can be disabled through the diagnostics. I just did it and it will work.

1. Enter diagnostics and allow the system monitor to complete.

2. At "PCM" press FAN HI.

3. As each choice is offered press FAN LOW until you get to PCM Overrides.

4. At PCM Overrides press FAN HI, then press the WARMER button this will disable Traction Control.

5. To exit press AUTO

This will disable the Traction Control for 50 engine start cycles.

To reset the Traction Control follow the above directions, but on line 4 above press the COOLER button, this will enable the Traction Control.
Then press the AUTO button to exit diagnostics.

Personally I would not share this information with the smog people. In California it is considered to invasive to get into the computer overrides. A good way for the shop to get blamed for many different problems, real or imagined.

An alternate way is to remove the ABS fuse, but then you disable a valuable function just to spin tires.

-George

·
Registered
1993 STS and 2004 DTS
564 Posts
To enter diagnostics:

1. Have paper and pen ready.

2. Turn the key on, or start the car depending on what you want to know.

3. Allow the system monitor to complete.

4. Press and hold, the Off and Warmer button. Hold them down until you see all of the lights come on at the bottom of the panel (about 5 seconds).

Error codes will be shown first, copy them down quickly.

The next thing presented will be a system unit to review. PCM? etc.
If that is what you want press Fan Hi button (for yes), if not press Fan Lo
(for no).
To exit press Auto.

These codes and other information will not mean anything without the manuals to interpert them. A set of manuals is really necessary if you plan on doing any of the repair work to the car yourself.

Otherwise get the codes and post back at the main forum and someone will try to help you.

-George

1 - 10 of 10 Posts