Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
06 DTS Raven Black - 05 CTS-V Raven Black
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove my 98 Concours with the Traction Control off except when the roads were wet, never had a problem.
My 06 DTS has not shown any issues either when I drive without the Traction Control activated. I perceive my mileage to be a little better that is why I do it.
Does anyone else drive like that? Does anyone know of a reason not to?
I don't want to cause any damage, but I figure if it wasn't okay Cadillac wouldn't give you a button to turn it off. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2006 DTS Black Raven
162 Posts
I'm not sure if it was me just dreaming it but when I don't use my traction control the car does handle more differently. Not sure if it affects the gas mileage tho but I will test it when I get on the road tomorrow.

F

·
0 Posts
I drove my 98 Concours with the Traction Control off except when the roads were wet, never had a problem.
My 06 DTS has not shown any issues either when I drive without the Traction Control activated. I perceive my mileage to be a little better that is why I do it.
Does anyone else drive like that? Does anyone know of a reason not to?
I don't want to cause any damage, but I figure if it wasn't okay Cadillac wouldn't give you a button to turn it off. Thanks for your input.
The only reason I know of to leave it on is for safety. I think if you leave it on, it is only activated if you encounter a situation where it would be needed (sand on the road, jack rabbit starts etc.). It is not just for wet roads.

I think the main indent for allowing it to be turned off is if you were to get stuck in snow or mud, then it is easier to get unstuck. I remember reading something to this effect in the owner’s manual.

·
Registered
2008 DTS LUX III - Gold Mist traded for 2004 Tbird
1,511 Posts
I wonder if turning Traction Control off affects the operation of Stability Control?

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
I wonder if turning Traction Control off affects the operation of Stability Control?

I don't think it affecrs Stability Control at all.

You can try this...if you want to check it...
Find a well worn asphalt road...meaning it is pretty slick.
Turn from a side street into the OPPOSITE LANE...where you will have a little room to accelerate...while STANDING ON IT...
As it starts out on the slick asphalt, while you are turning and spinning the tires...it will try to slide across the road. When it does that...Stability Control will kick in...reduce power and activate a brake or two if needed.

Don't ask how I know this. :cool2: :cool2:

Texas Jim

·
Registered
91 Allante (gone), 06 SRX (gone)
4,396 Posts
I turn off traction control on my RWD SRX whenever I drive on dirt or gravel roads. The throttle interruption is so intense that I feel it is a safety hazard - leaving me with no power to get out of the way of oncoming traffic. Stability control is still active when TC is off.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
I turn off traction control on my RWD SRX whenever I drive on dirt or gravel roads. The throttle interruption is so intense that I feel it is a safety hazard - leaving me with no power to get out of the way of oncoming traffic. Stability control is still active when TC is off.

That is an excellent idea about the dirt/gravel roads.
The T/C on the DTS is not very intrusive and will allow a pretty fair amount of wheel spin before it kicks in and spoils the fun. :thumbsup:

But it still would be a good idea to turn it off in those conditions.

Texas Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts