Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
04 CTS
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Salesman at the local Caddy dealer said that turning off the traction control (when road conditions are good) will give better gas mileage. Has anybody heard similar? If TCS is off, can that increase possiblity of rear end problems?

TIA
Brad

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
nightowle said:
Salesman at the local Caddy dealer said that turning off the traction control (when road conditions are good) will give better gas mileage. Has anybody heard similar? If TCS is off, can that increase possiblity of rear end problems?

TIA
Brad
Don't see how it could help. Under normal driving it isn't being used. On the rare times it is used it merely pulse the brakes and throttles back the engine.
The only time I turn it off is when I'm doing some spirited driving.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I agree. I can't see any reason that traction control would affect mileage. Perhaps the salesman is confusing traction control with automatic four wheel drive. Turning off automatic four wheel drive (which doesn't exist in the CTS) can save you fuel.

Regarding the rear diff, I suppose its possible that turning off traction control can put additional stress on the rear diff if you are launching the car hard enough to spin the tires. If you aren't spinning the tires, the traction control will never step in, so it won't have any effect.

Are you seeing the traction control light come on all the time? If so, the best way to save fuel is to use a "light foot" during acceleration.

- Mark

·
Registered
04 CTS
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. I thought it sounded odd when it was suggested to me. THe TCS light doesn't come on, and I'll just leave it and only turn it off those infrequent times I would have to.

That's why this forum is great. At least you can get decent opinions and not rely on a salesman!!

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
nightowle said:
Thanks for the input. I thought it sounded odd when it was suggested to me. THe TCS light doesn't come on, and I'll just leave it and only turn it off those infrequent times I would have to.

That's why this forum is great. At least you can get decent opinions and not rely on a salesman!!
You might want to think about programming one of the four steering wheel buttons for the traction control. It sure beat reaching into the glove box every time to turn it on/off.

·
Registered
04 CTS
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I programmed one of the information center buttons to turn off traction control. That seemed a handy place to do it. It's strange GM put the TCS button in the glove box, but no light. Go figure.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
nightowle said:
I programmed one of the information center buttons to turn off traction control. That seemed a handy place to do it. It's strange GM put the TCS button in the glove box, but no light. Go figure.
You talking about one of the 4 configure buttons on the steering wheel? You don't even take your hands off the wheel to push one of those. I also regulate my temperature with one too.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
yup yup, i have 1 for presets, the other 2 do climate control and i can't even remember what the 4th is...i think it's the scan for the radio...i'll probably change it to something clever soon, like trac cntrl or what was mentioned on a different thread...changing to intl units to screw with people...

·
Registered
None
987 Posts
I always wanted to be able to do more programming with thoose 4 buttons, from what GM claimed they could do multiple car functions. When really, all it does temp control, and radio control, oh and TCS...

I have them programmed to seek and to change temp, but I usually find myself reaching over and hitting the buttons myself because they're at the perfect height and reach as it is.

I think the next CTS should have the buttons do more functions, like... flash your high beams, mute the stereo, a sport mode and winter mode option (although the CTS doesn't have this feature anymore) or even cruise control settings... although I could see the liability issue in that one ( i hit coast and forgot I programmed it to accel and wham a car accident)

·
Registered
CTS
1,485 Posts
I had an idea awhile ago, don't know the logistics, but it does seem doable.

Suppose you did a swap of the trunk release and TCS buttons. You would have to do some wiring, but it wouldn't be that bad. Some people probably push that TCS button a lot more than they do the trunk button.

What do you all think?

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
RobertCTS said:
You talking about one of the 4 configure buttons on the steering wheel? You don't even take your hands off the wheel to push one of those. I also regulate my temperature with one too.
I just found out that when I press the music sign that is located in the middle of the steering wheel volume control knob, the radio goes through AM FM1, FM2 and then CD....I guess that is now because I disconnected my onStar service?

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
pjohnesq said:
I just found out that when I press the music sign that is located in the middle of the steering wheel volume control knob, the radio goes through AM FM1, FM2 and then CD....I guess that is now because I disconnected my onStar service?
No PJ, that's normal. It's really handy too. I'd like to turn my radio on/off with a button. Someone I think programmed one for fan speed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts