Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Seville STS, 1998 Cadillac Deville (Base)
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to resolve this problem for quite a while now and would really appreciate any help you guys can offer. The problem started a few months ago. I had ran over a small icy patch in the road which activated the traction control (like normal), but the problem didnt actually show up until a few weeks later so I dont actually know if it is relevant. Anyway, The traction control warning has been coming on consistently for the past month or so. It usually starts after about 6 or 7 miles of driving but this can vary. I believe the code behind this is TC0073 which deals with communication to the EBTCM. Also if I clear this code while the traction control warning light is on then it will reappear instantly. Regardless if I clear the code or not it will usually be fine the next morning and the cycle starts over again. Other codes present are PC1644 (which is relevant but I don't think it is the culprit), IR1740, and IP1552 as of today. Again, I think the only code that really matters is the TC0073 since I can clear all codes except this one when the TCS warning light is on, but I could be wrong. Also today the car was going fine after a few miles of driving, so I stepped on the accelerator and then noticed that the TCS light had been activated. This is the only thing I can think of that could trigger it, but it could just be a coincidence. Sorry for the long post, but I would really like to figure out this problem so that I can get my first gear back all the time. Thank you for reading this post and thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
Based on codes appears to be a ’96:

P1644 - Traction Control Delivered Torque Output Circuit
P1740 - Torque Reduction Signal Circuit
B1552 - Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Error
Can’t find this TC0073, but the codes of concern (excluding the TC0073) are the first two. They suggest a communication issue between EBTCM and PCM (most likely a connector & wire issue). Start by inspecting both the EBTCM and PCM connectors (make sure no corrosion, clean as needed).

EDIT:
I just noticed it is indeeed a '96.
You might want to read Frankma's post in this thread.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply. So is the EBTCM under the air cleaner on the right side? Ive read where people have said that that is where it is but Im not sure about the 1996 model. I took out the air cleaner and didnt see anything, so I must need to remove something else. Also in the service manual I have it says that the EBCM/EBTCM is located in the trunk. How do I know where to look? I'm also unsure of where the PCM is. Once I find them should I simpley examine and reseat the connections? Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
in the service manual I have it says that the EBCM/EBTCM is located in the trunk
:jawdrop:
What manual is that throw it away...

Sorry I am not trying to be difficult or look smart but that really made me laugh (and I was not in a laughing mood) so thank you! You just cheered me up. Probably what that manual refers to is the CVRSS module or maybe the PZM, but NOT the EBTCM.
Ok now back to your problem…
Any Seville/Eldorado (’92 and up) has the EBTCM located here.
Observe the headlights and grille I sketched above the picture so you have a good idea where to look.
The PCM is right under the air intake box (that box housing the air filter). Take the box out by pulling up the side or the box facing the fender and then once released pull the box little bit towards the fender and up (obviously the air duct gets disconnected first). Let me be clear, remove the whole box not just the cover that access the air filter. Caution there is a sensor on the backside of the box (disconnect the connector before).
Now right under the place where the box use to sit is another plastic panel with an opening in the middle (that’s where the air comes from) and in that opening you can see a cast aluminum box (with some fins on it).
Well that is the PCM as you will see it standing on the left side of the car behind the left side marker.
Notice the air pass over the PCM in the way to the filter > Air intake duct > Throttle body. That is what is cooling the PCM in case you get the idea of replacing the proper factory cold air intake box with a “+50 hp cone high flow cold air intake” the ones whit applications from Honda to Cadillac.
Ok so that’s the PCM, the PCM’s connector is located towards the engine.
Now since the air intake box is out and if you remove the cover above the radiator and headlights you should have a good visibility to the EBTCM as well.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the quick and informative respnse. I'll go ahead and check the wiring for the EBTCM and PCM.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So after removing the air cleaner assembly, should I simpy pull up on the plastic intake that surrounds the PCM? I just want to make sure so that I don't damage anything. Then after getting it out are there some clips or something that open and give access to the PCM? Thank you.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so I got to the EBTCM and was able to access the connector. The inside of the connector was dirty so I was wandering what would be the best thing to clean it with. Compressed air? Thank you.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Ok so I got to the EBTCM and was able to access the connector. The inside of the connector was dirty so I was wandering what would be the best thing to clean it with. Compressed air? Thank you.
Here is your problem!
Inspect the connector gasket for damages. While clening disconnect the battery. Make sure the connector is dry in the end. Use the little white latch to lock the connector back. Try not to pull on the harness (ther is always a shorter wire, and that is what you are pulling on so pull as if only one wire will be on the harness).

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the advice, Ill make sure not to pull on the wires. Also, is the connector supposed to come off all the way easily? I pivoted it back but I felt some resistance and did not want to damage it. As it is right now I can only see about half of the connector pins. Thanks.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, I've cleaned both the ebtcm connector, and the pcm connectors. I also cleaned and reseated the ground connected to which I assume is the ABS Motor attached to the EBTCM. None of these things seem to have fixed the problem, as the light continues to come on every now and then. Also, if the TCS warning light is on and I enter the diagnostic mode while driving, as soon as it passes the TC0073 code, the TCS warning light goes off and everything returns to normal. I don't even have to clear the code, the light just goes off after displaying the code. I've also noticed that the TCS warning light mostly comes on during mid-heavy acceleration. Do these things tell us anything? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does anyone have any ideas? I'm trying to resolve this problem as soon as possible. Thanks.

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado ETC 212K Mi.
30 Posts
Net. I had the same problem on my 96 Eldorado. intermittent light with code 073. I too checked everything from my connectors to the grounds with no help. It finally became a constant code that would not reset. In the end it was my EBTCM which is attached to the ABS pump. they are very expensive both new and used. My fix. I went the the local junk yard and for $100 got a used ABS pump with the EBTCM. swapped them out and all is well for the last 3k. miles. I realize i took a chance on a used part but it worked out well for me. my car has 220k on the odometer and i did not want to spend big money. give it a try. do a parts search for your local junk yard and see what you can find. good luck.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the response, I'll check everything one more time, then start looking for an EBTCM.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
On the ’97 model year the torque request signal is transmitted between the EBTCM and PCM via 2 wires:
EBTCM connector C2 pin 25 >----(ORN/BLK wire)---> PCM connector C2 pin 46 (Requested torque)
EBTCM connector C2 pin 6 >----(TAN/BLK wire)---> PCM connector C2 pin 27 (Delivered torque)

Unfortunately for ’97 I don’t see in the FSM the same codes for this circuit, nor the others you experienced. But a plane view of the codes will indicate a connection issue witch you eliminated so the only one looking guilty now is the EBTCM. You only need to change the controller part of the EBTCM (the manifold, the pump and most importantly the Brake line remain connected). The swap is involving removing the plastic cover over the headlights and radiator, taking out the air intake box (for access to the EBTCM) and then unplugging the EBTCM connector and the 5 screws holding the two halves of the EBTCM together (the controller and the pump with manifold). Four of the screws are in each corner and the 5-th is the one used also as a mounting pint (the one with the rubber over).
What part number EBTCM you have, because I might have the controller? The one I have extra is PN 16263309 and bellow is printed CLCD:25674834 (what ever that is).

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think that the GM Part Number for my EBTCM is 25633191. Also, is there anything else worth checking out, such as the opposite end of the ground attached to the ebtcm, or a fuse? Thank you.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Yup it looks that way (as per Rockauto.com). But just to make sure check the number on the sticker (not the one engraved - that is the manifold/motor PN).
Also, is there anything else worth checking out, such as the opposite end of the ground attached to the ebtcm, or a fuse?
NO, NO, that is just a very popular fix to a very common issue, NOT your case!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I tried locating that sticker, but couldn't seem to find it. Do I have to get under the car in order to see it?

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
Nope, the sticker is right on top of the EBTCM near the connector. Can be easily read (it is white) just by opining the hood, and standing in front of the left headlight looking down to the EBTCM. Eventually, for better visibility, lift the cover over the headlight (as if you will do when replacing one light bulb). The sticker is on top right edge of the EBTCM and 1/3 of label is bent 90 degree down following the edge towards the connector. The top part of the label states the part number and the part going down states the CLCD number.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts