Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2005 STS-V8
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find that I'm pushing the button to disable Traction Control because it's too sensitive, especially on bumpy roads. If I accelerate too fast on bumpy roads the Traction Control is activated and completely shuts down brisk acceleration. Can be annoying! :rolleyes:

Just curious if anyone else feels the same way?

·
Registered
2010 CTS4 & 2005 STS4
174 Posts
Ever since TC has been in any vehicle I have driven it is the first thing I disable after starting the engine. Annoying? Without a doubt. I guess the car manufacturers think none of us know how to drive.
And yes, I have inquired about reversing the activation over the years and as far as I know there is no mod to do so.
Joe P

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
29,232 Posts
Someday you young guys will get over whistling the tires everytime you start out.

·
Registered
2010 CTS 3.6 DI AWD
242 Posts
I put 4 Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60s on my RWD STS and traction control hardly ever kicks in except when needed. Perhaps it's time for new tires?

·
Registered
2006 STS 1SG & 2007 STS 1SE
18 Posts
In my AWD, TC seems less agressive. With worn OEM tires, it was rarely an annoyance but I did see it more than I expected. With good tires, I only notice it in actual very slick conditions. IMHO - perfect.

In my wife's RWD with crappy OEM tires (acting worn out @ 15,000 miles), I think it is overly aggressive. With good tires less so. I'm really interested in how my wife's car performs with new Summer tires. I'd bet those with overactive TC tend towards heavy throttle and subsequently worn rear tires. Many high-speed-rated tires are very hard compounds, making this seem even worse. If they don't rotate their tires, the trend worsens.

Within 4 weeks, my wife's car will have new rubber and I'll post any changes of opinion.

·
Registered
Cadillac STS 2005
811 Posts
Someday you young guys will get over whistling the tires everytime you start out.
its not always that. when its raining or ice, near work, there is a up hill turn, that you have to wait for traffic, and going from a stop on a turned sharp incline, i spin 50% of the time.

·
Cadillac Owners Troll
2019 CT6 Sport 3.0TT,2015 Luxury ATS , 2016 ELR, and Volt
2,433 Posts
I think the biggest problem with the system is the slow recovery time. It activates in milliseconds, but it seems like it takes hours to recover. it can leave you in the middle of a turn or a cross road with virtually no power. In my mind it borders on being dangerous.

·
Premium Member
29,232 Posts
The problem with traction control is that people try to peddle the car like a dragster when TC kicks in. Set the throttle for moderate acceleration and hold that throttle position. If the wheels start to spin the TC reduces power and applies braking to the spinning wheel but still allows as much torque as the road surface will stand. As the car starts to move the throttle comes up a little and the braking subsides. If instead of holding the throttle position you start working it the TC keeps resetting and starting the process from zero. Keep in mind that the system is exactly the same as is used on Formula 1 race cars that would be virtually undrivable without it and is way smarter than even Michael Schumacher. You have to curb your instincts and let the system do its work. Ask Jeff Gordan what he thinks about F1 automatic traction control.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Koz is right. Just like ABS. Pumping the brakes can ruin an ABS.

Let the car drive itself.

·
Cadillac Owners Troll
2,433 Posts
A small pothole or ripple will set it off and without any additional throttle input, the system takes way too long to let go. If you are entering or crossing a road and you exit out of a driveway, that momentary slip will leave you without any substantial power--it's not an issue of trying to overdrive the system, it's just plain poor calibration.

·
Registered
18 Posts
A small pothole or ripple will set it off and without any additional throttle input, the system takes way too long to let go. If you are entering or crossing a road and you exit out of a driveway, that momentary slip will leave you without any substantial power--it's not an issue of trying to overdrive the system, it's just plain poor calibration.

I disagree. The OEM Michelins are the biggest issue. Neither of our cars have the TC set off by a pothole or ripple. I'll stand by my earlier posts.

Members, chime in with your opinions!:duck:

·
Cadillac Owners Troll
2,433 Posts
I'm running Kuhmos right now, so can't vouch for how that compares to the Michelins. Also I suspect the cals may be different between model years and of course engines. I recall we had this issue on early Vettes and corrected it after the first year.

·
Registered
2005 STS-V8
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have Toyo and I'm not impressed. Next tires will be Michelin or something else someone recommends.

·
Premium Member
29,232 Posts
If you're accelerating over the potholes hard enough to invoke TC, the next thing you are going to experience is driveline and differential failure. The car is trying to tell you to ease off. These cars are not off-road dune busters.

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac STS V8
613 Posts
I don't seem to have a problem with the traction control. When is does go off, it only takes a second for it to go off. Must be the old man in me.

·
Cadillac Owners Troll
2,433 Posts
If you're accelerating over the potholes hard enough to invoke TC, the next thing you are going to experience is driveline and differential failure. The car is trying to tell you to ease off. These cars are not off-road dune busters.
In Phoenix, a pothole is a ripple in the road anywhere else.

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 RWD 1SF
56 Posts
I have Toyo and I'm not impressed. Next tires will be Michelin or something else someone recommends. QUOTE]

Traction control used to engage all the time in wet weather, and I don't have a really heavy foot. I was running on Vogue tires, which were good on dry pavement. I have the N* also.

I just bought a set of Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus about 7K miles ago and traction control rarely engages, even in about an inch of snow. I'd highly recommend these tires from my experience with them. I live in western WA for reference. I wouldn't recommend them for those living in warm dry climates like CA or AZ though due to the extra wear, you'd be better off with good summer tires there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts