Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Redline CTS-V
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,
I have searched for any info, sorry if it has been asked before.
I am getting ready for my first season in 2006 with the V at some road courses and wondered what you guys were doing to the car...ie all TC/Stabil turned off? Any tried the stock tires and shorten theri life even more?
Hoosiers or Khumos? Stock size?

I have a Corsa exhaust and a custom intake, I had my 2004 GTO to the courses many times but I really don't know what to expect from the V. I sure as hell know it will brake better! (The GTO had puny 9.5" rotors).

Any thoughts? I want to buy another set of rims and some heat cycled tires and that always has a backorder so I am trying to find tires for the 245/45/18...
Thanks
Velo

Attachments

·
Registered
'05 CTS-VM 51 track days in Maggied V & 82 in Atom 2 in Volt
1,690 Posts
Finding a set of stock tire size is next to impossible. I am running Dunlop 255/35/18 race rubber because I felt it was cheaper to buy a set of rims and rubber than it was to trash my F1's. They are about 1" lower in profile which drop the car about 3/4" and lower the rear axle ratio. I ran the F1's first time out but didn't want to take a trip with road rashed rubber. They are great tires and intend to use them once they wear down. My son is running Kumo slicks on his '04 goat and doing very well, and brake upgrade is in the near future, I think I'll try a set after the Dunlops run out. The V will detach your retinas with race rubber.

First thing to do is find a set of Hotchkis sway bars, they really flatten out the car. I run stablitrac the first couple of sessions to get a feel for the car and the track. You have to really get the back end crossed up and it gently brings you back in. It's save my bacon out of the weeds a couple times. It basically makes you look like a better driver. Later in the day try comp mode to see where the edge is. Do not under any circumstance let the V get under a 1/4 tank of gas. Under high g RH turn you will run out of gas. You will get one warning and you'd better get off the track you will not make two times around. The V, particularly with maggie, on a 3 mile track will burn up to a quarter tank of fuel in a 20 min session, so find a source for fuel. I ran some 100 octane and didn't feel any SOTP difference, it sucked up that $5.50/gal (that would be a butt load/litre for our friends to the frozen north) gas like it was caviar.

Most importantly go and have fun, when this car goes through the turn correctly and on line, it's like the perfect golf swing. This is where this car shines, I've said it alot, more smooth in gets even more smooth out.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
There is no such thing as a 245/45 18 race tire, unfortunately. I've run a couple of events on 245/40 18 Hoosier dry slicks. This year add some GC coilovers and Hotchkis bars and the V shalth be a beast.

Again, if anyone is interested in Mille Miglias with said Hoosiers, let me know.

·
Registered
2005 Redline CTS-V
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the tips..yeah, I searched for a 245 race tire to no avail, so that's why I wondered what others were running. Good to remember the gas issue, I always try to run on the light side, but this car drinks the petrol!

I was thinking of picking up a set of Mille Miglias and hoosiers, what are you wanting for yours? Do our brakes work as well on the track? I had upgraded my goat to the C5 ceramic for the fronts and it helped.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Yes, our brakes will detach your retinas and make the shoulder belt hurt your shoulder. I have 6 track events most two dayers and my brakes still look like new. However, after seeing the orange calipers, try a search for orange calipers, made me a brake wuss because I have to it drive home from the track and don't care to ride the tow truck.

I had an instructor once, who drove a mustang, at first kept telling me to "apply the brakes" ..."APPLY THE BRAKES" like I was going to come in too hot, I was like not yet, net yet..once I put on the binders and put him up against the seat belt, he was "damn this car will stop." Next session I had 1 in the front and two in the back because the others didn't believe him, nice thing about a 4 door!

More importantly re the fuel gauge it's incorrect under 1/4 and will run out at 1/8 under high g rh turn.

Don't worry about fast, worry about smooth and your times will be better, I guarantee it.

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
931 Posts
Dennisscars said:
More importantly re the fuel gauge it's incorrect under 1/4 and will run out at 1/8 under high g rh turn.
Having been towed off the track at both Pocono and Watkins Glen, I can attest this is correct. Interestingly, both times it started up after car cooled down on level ground.
As other posts have noted, brakes are great. You may want to change from the stock pads, but you don't have to go to full race pads.
I ran 25 track days the past two years, mostly on Mille Miglias and Hoosiers. If you don't want to buy Jim's rims and Hoosiers, check the clearance section on Hoosier site.
Think about getting a performance clutch. Stock clutch won't hold up over time (at least didn't for me).
Finally, if you don't have AAA extended coverage, get it. It will give you towing for up to 100 miles. This came in handy twice. The V can--and did--break.
For now, I'm "retiring" the V from track days. Just a daily driver now. At track days, I'll be looking in the rear view mirror of my C6Z for all my V friends (lol).

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
What happens under high g's enough gas sloshes from the big tank to the little tank (or visy versa) and you run it out of gas. Once all is well the retired dinosaurs return to where they should be.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
With my extra mass, I'm already losing a few pounds to some of you midgets. So making sure I have a full tank of gas isn't a big deal to me for the extra weight.

As for the Mille Miglias and Hoosiers, I'm looking for $1100. That's for wheels in great condition and slicks with at least 70% of its tread. Mounted. These slicks are a non-DOT tire with a stickier compound than the R3S04 you can buy at TireRack. If they don't move, then I may negotiate.

·
Registered
2005 Redline CTS-V
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BigJimsho,
I am interested in the wheelset. I wanted a stock set of rims, and perhaps Kuhmos, but I would consider your set. Email me if you have a picture or more info.
Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts