Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
'06 CTS-V
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First and formost, I want to thank all of you for posting your different experiences with these cars on the track! It gave me a good idea of what needed to be done to mine to prepare it and what I could leave alone.

So I hit the local track (PBIR, So. Florida) with my '06 V last night for one of SCCA's new "track nights in america". Very laid-back event, I highly recommend it. It was only a half day deal, so we got two 20 minute sessions and one 30 minute session. It was about 85 degrees out, and I ran in the advanced group. Not surprisingly, my brand new 340 treadwear tires turned roughly to the consistency of a gummy bear after about 10 minutes of running. I don't think I'm going to get the promised miles out of those. The stock brake pads and Motul RBF600 did a little better, but still got very soft after about 15 minutes. Like the pedal travel doubled. The ABS modulating on and off made it hard to tell whether it was fluid boiling onset or what, but I backed off after that to be safe. Next time I will pull the breaker for ABS, since it was a limiting factor during trail braking and also killed my brake feel, and will probably put on some better pads also. Surprisingly, oil temps were not an issue, but I could see them becoming one with more sessions. The engine oil temp seemed to cool down a lot between sessions, but the gearbox not so much. First session out it was low 200's, second sesh it was mid 200's, and last one it was high 200's. The only other thing I did to prepare besides brake fluid was change to red line power steering fluid, and I didn't have any issues throughout the night with that.

Overall I came away with a much greater respect for our cars! I know from racing chumpcar for the last few years that there are truly few cars out there that, with no real mods, will stand up to this kind of abuse without excreting parts or welding calipers to the rotors. So take advantage of what you've got and track your cars!

·
Registered
2007 Thunder Gray CTS-V
42 Posts
Sounds like you had a good time. Good to know what needs help on the track. These brakes look to be the same size Brembos as a C7, so I suspect the pads are the same size. Did you consider going to another pad? Though it sounds like you were tire-limited, which I would expect with just 8.5 wheels and the small contact patch for the weight.

I'll take mine to a one day track day when I get it sorted out, just to tease the bimmers, miatas and my Corvette buddies. I have the Ba'Ha Men's "who let the dogs out" chorus played over and over on a CD that I plan to play full volume as I go around the track. At least the flaggers will get a laugh.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
If you're running normal street tires with stock pads, your fluid is fine unless it wasn't bled properly. I'd replace the pads. Also, another set of cheap stockers and some used R compounds would be a good investment. Of course, race pads are a must then.

If you want to stay on street tires some more aggressive pads will help.

·
Registered
NONE
788 Posts
When I had my CTS-V, I took it to the Nordschleife and more than anything I was always impressed with the brakes. I only ran two laps back-to-back once (roughly 19 minutes) and the brakes were firm and didn't have any fade at the end of the second lap.

·
Registered
17 xt5 & Blk 05 cts-v
2,470 Posts
I like going to pbir. Its is easy on the brakes. Homestead not so easy. Either way i do track only pads. Even with the street tires i run.

·
Registered
17 xt5 & Blk 05 cts-v
2,470 Posts
Nah i threshold brake pretty well. At least most of the time. On the tracks that i go from a long straight to the banked turn onto another straight then yes i like to use the abs lol. I'm coming off the straight into the turn at 150. I used to brake check before the turn but i'm getting decent at trail braking on the turn. Thats not the pbir track though. Thats homestead. That track doesnt give the brakes much cooling time before your on them again. Pbir is more forgiving.

·
Registered
17 xt5 & Blk 05 cts-v
2,470 Posts
Very nice! looked like fun. You ever go down to homestead? What tires are you running?

·
Premium Member
'05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon
6,076 Posts
I've retired my V1 from track duty (I have my chumpcars for that now.)

I have bunch of track goodies if anyone is interested:

4 stock rims with Hoosiers (they are petty old, so probably not much life in them. You'd really be getting stock rim with some bonus tires on them.)
A few sets of new Carbotech brakes (XP8/10/12)
I also have a pair of GM performance rear upper control arms

I probably have some other junk lying around as well.

let me know if anyone is interested

-Chris

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts

·
Registered
'06 CTS-V
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh hey, just noticed the questions about what tires I was running. Better late than never? They're Bridgestone RE760's, size 255/40R18. Can't say I recommend them... had to jack the pressure to about 40psi to get them to feel as responsive as the stock goodyear's did at 32ish psi. The size is perfect though - a little fatter than stock and the sidewalls look flush with the rim instead of stretched or tapered. Also the slightly lower profile looks more modern, imho.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V Maggied
271 Posts
I've retired my V1 from track duty (I have my chumpcars for that now.)

I have bunch of track goodies if anyone is interested:

4 stock rims with Hoosiers (they are petty old, so probably not much life in them. You'd really be getting stock rim with some bonus tires on them.)
A few sets of new Carbotech brakes (XP8/10/12)
I also have a pair of GM performance rear upper control arms

I probably have some other junk lying around as well.

let me know if anyone is interested

-Chris
What is different/special about the GM performance rear control arms?

·
Premium Member
6,076 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts