Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Eldonrado ETC & 02 DTS
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need to find out: I just got new tires and asked about my TPMS being set and was told that it will reset. I have a 2002 DTS is this true and how long does it take? If not I'm going back to Mr. Tire and getting it reset. #2: traction control light come on with a Stability light on and off? Hit a pothole and have been having issues since? #3: car blows cold air at idle, just paid to have whole system flushed out, after driving about 30 miles I could feel the air cooling down again, any ideals as to my next step to keep it blowing hot? I am getting NO CODES!

Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
Re: Tpms

Unless they changed locations of wheels usually TPMS doesn't need to be reset. If it's not working go back and get them to do it. It should only take a couple minutes and should have been done with the purchase of the tires.
For traction control does ABS light also come on? Could be a loose plug or bad sensor.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,273 Posts

Need to find out: I just got new tires and asked about my TPMS being set and was told that it will reset. I have a 2002 DTS is this true and how long does it take? If not I'm going back to Mr. Tire and getting it reset. #2: traction control light come on with a Stability light on and off? Hit a pothole and have been having issues since? #3: car blows cold air at idle, just paid to have whole system flushed out, after driving about 30 miles I could feel the air cooling down again, any ideals as to my next step to keep it blowing hot? I am getting NO CODES!

Thanks, Dave
=========================
is this true and how long does it take?
NO -
the monitors will communicate with the car -
but they won't report the correct position until they are set up -

traction control light come on with a Stability light on and off?
check for Diagnostic Trouble Codes -
if you don't know how - go here and read the ENTIRE post -

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-deville-1985-2005-including-1985/138257-how-pull-codes-dtcs.html

if you have any codes - post them here -
ALONG WITH THEIR DEFINITIONS -

---------------------------

car blows cold air at idle,
just paid to have whole system flushed out,

with the engine at operating temp -
select the center - dash - vents -
set the climate control to 90* -
fan to a medium high speed -

feel the heater hoses going to the firewall -

they should both be too hot to hold for very long -
the outlet hose might be slightly cooler -

report your findings -

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,785 Posts

Need to find out: I just got new tires and asked about my TPMS being set and was told that it will reset.

Thanks, Dave
Dave, please define "reset".
Is it not working or do you mean "reset" the tire positions?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello guys, Here is what I have: NO CODES of any kind not even in history. The only code I get is the one for the OX sensor which I have, just been to cold to put in. Still getting the service tire pressure. Run the dash and all 4 wheels so -- for all tires. I am going back to Mr. Tire and tell them to check out why it is not seeing the air pressure and working right. One friend said they may have broke them putting on the new tires, if so then they can fix. I was also told by Central Cadillac that I maybe getting the Stability light and some times the Traction light due to the OX sensor, they say the car maybe going into a light limp mode? What do you guys think? As soon as we get above 0, I plan to put the new sensor in, but that was a new on me!
Thanks

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
An O2 sensor issue isn't going to put the car into "limp mode", and if it did, it wouldn't be triggering any messages.

Are you getting traction/stability sys ENGAGED messages, or SERVICE stability system?

·
19,273 Posts
Hello guys, Here is what I have: NO CODES of any kind not even in history. The only code I get is the one for the OX sensor which I have, just been to cold to put in. Still getting the service tire pressure. Run the dash and all 4 wheels so -- for all tires. I am going back to Mr. Tire and tell them to check out why it is not seeing the air pressure and working right. One friend said they may have broke them putting on the new tires, if so then they can fix. I was also told by Central Cadillac that I maybe getting the Stability light and some times the Traction light due to the OX sensor, they say the car maybe going into a light limp mode? What do you guys think? As soon as we get above 0, I plan to put the new sensor in, but that was a new on me!
Thanks
==========================
Still getting the service tire pressure
the "normal" battery life in the monitors is around 5 to 7 years -

they might be weak - and can't re-establish communication with the receiver -

you can try disconnecting both battery cables -
and touch them together for a couple seconds -

this is similar to rebooting a computer -
it clears the stored memory in some modules -

if that doesn't help -
try the "strong magnet" method of resetting the positions -

One friend said they may have broke them putting on the new tires,
very - VERY - VERY doubtful -

------------------------

I was also told by Central Cadillac
that I maybe getting the Stability light
and some times the Traction light
due to the OX sensor,
that just MIGHT be the DUMBEST thing EVER said by a dealer -

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks! And I agree with you basscatt, I have never taken my car to anyone, I do all my work and that is why my 85 is goes like new. The 02 is a little harder for me to understand, I can fix anything once I find the problem, but these lights are new to me. SERVICE stability system only comes on once in a while it isn't a very day thing and the Traction light is the same way. NO ABS light, just those two with the tire light. Like I say all my problems started after I hit a pothole, the back right wheel took the hardest hit. Will that rear hub cause the lights to come on? I got two new ones either way, so I am going to put them in just in case I did mess up that one sensor in the back. I already put two new ones in the front, I'm not just throwing parts. I feel I am doing one I'll do all.
Thanks for all the help

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,785 Posts
I hit a pothole, the back right wheel took the hardest hit. Will that rear hub cause the lights to come on? I
Very possibly

Still getting the service tire pressure. Run the dash and all 4 wheels so -- for all tires. I am going back to Mr. Tire and tell them to check out why it is not seeing the air pressure and working right. One friend said they may have broke them putting on the new tires, if so then they can fix.
Even if they did damage it, good luck in proving it or getting them to admit it.

I was also told by Central Cadillac that I maybe getting the Stability light and some times the Traction light due to the OX sensor
I agree with Bass..........REDICULOUS.

·
19,273 Posts
Thanks! And I agree with you basscatt, I have never taken my car to anyone, I do all my work and that is why my 85 is goes like new. The 02 is a little harder for me to understand, I can fix anything once I find the problem, but these lights are new to me. SERVICE stability system only comes on once in a while it isn't a very day thing and the Traction light is the same way. NO ABS light, just those two with the tire light. Like I say all my problems started after I hit a pothole, the back right wheel took the hardest hit. Will that rear hub cause the lights to come on? I got two new ones either way, so I am going to put them in just in case I did mess up that one sensor in the back. I already put two new ones in the front, I'm not just throwing parts. I feel I am doing one I'll do all.
Thanks for all the help
===================================
to reset the tire position -
it only takes a couple minutes -
and a fairly strong magnet -

I found that the magnet on the end of a pick-up tool is strong enough -

if you want to try it yourself -

press - and hold - BOTH the lock and unlock buttons on your remote -

the horn will honk two times when it enters the LEARNING mode -

you only have about 30/45 seconds for each wheel -
if you wait too long - it will get out of the LEARNING mode -

start at the LEFT-FRONT wheel -