Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2020 XT5, Premium Luxury AWD Platinum, Garnet Metallic, 20" Ultra-Bright
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not recall the topic of TPMS Relearn in the XT5 Forum. I have been suspicious that the dealer did not do the Relearn after my last tire rotation. I thought it may be automatic on the XT5, but found today it is not.

The procedure is very simple with the correct tool. You need the TPMS Relearn Tool, part number EL-50448. With the car in service mode, scroll to the tire pressure screen on the DIC. Hold the SEL button until Tire Learning Active is displayed on the DIC and the horn chirps twice. Hold the Relearn Tool on the driver front tire, on the rubber tire, not the metal wheel, and press and hold the button until the horn chirps once. Move to the passenger front tire and do the same causing the horn to chirp once again. Now move to the passenger rear tire and do the same which will cause the horn to chirp once again. Finally, move to the driver rear tire, do the same and the horn will chirp once, followed by a double chirp indicating the Relearn is complete for all four tires.

Now I can watch tire pressures with confidence that I am looking at the pressure in the correct position on the car.

I found the tool available on Amazon for as little as $14.99. I paid $75 for mine about 5 years ago.

Edit: This procedure is in the Owners Manual under Tire Pressure Monitoring System.

·
Registered
2017 XT5
896 Posts
Good info. I had no clue that it would be necessary to re-learn the positions of the tires after a rotation. Other cars I've owned with TPMS either did not keep up with the positions and just displayed a generic "one of your tires is low - go check them all" message, or they have had multiple antennas and would triangulate and self-learn. I assume my dealer has properly re-learned my tire's positions after rotating them, but now you have me doubting it.

·
Registered
2015 SRX LUX 2014 CTS LUX Phantom Grey (previously 2008 STS)
1,989 Posts
Most of the dealer tire monkeys are too lazy to bother resetting the TPMS.

·
Registered
2020 Cadillac Premium Luxury XT5
205 Posts
Well I just did the tire change over yesterday , by the time I drove down to the corner ,the TPMS were sending the correct air pressure readings to my display . The system worked without any problems.

·
Registered
2017 XT5
896 Posts
Well I just did the tire change over yesterday , by the time I drove down to the corner ,the TPMS were sending the correct air pressure readings to my display . The system worked without any problems.
You can rotate your tires, and you will still get valid pressure readings, but the diagram on the DIC will show the tires in the wrong positions unless you use the relearn tool njacobson has detailed in the first post. In terms of getting a warning for low tire pressure, you'll still have that, but you'll need to go around an manually check each tire to figure which it is.

·
Registered
2017 XT5
896 Posts
Ah, I see. So you kept up with which tire went on which corner? And thinking about you poor folks who live where you have to swap to snow tires, I guess it would be possible to buy a second set of TPMS sensors and have them mounted in your winter rims, too.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I might add if you are certain the position of your summer tires was relearned the last time they were rotated you are probably OK. If rotated by a dealer, you cannot be certain they did the relearn and there is no way you can know until you have a low tire and it is in a different position than indicated on your DIC. With radial tires, the tire can loose several pounds of air before you can see a visible change by looking at the tire. For the cost of the TPMS Relearn Tool, if you change/rotate your own tires (or suspect the dealer did not do the relearn), it is a small cost to do it yourself and know with confidence the tires are where the DIC indicates.

·
Registered
2020 Cadillac Premium Luxury XT5
205 Posts
Ah, I see. So you kept up with which tire went on which corner? And thinking about you poor folks who live where you have to swap to snow tires, I guess it would be possible to buy a second set of TPMS sensors and have them mounted in your winter rims, too.
There is nothing about being POOR that involves whether or not you have to swap tires, it means you can AFFORD winter and ice tires to do it. Having TPMS sensors in your winter tires is an expense is not worth the effort for the short amount of time the tires are on . You should also realize that a savoy owner marks the inside of your tires to know there location.

·
Registered
2017 XT5
896 Posts
Bless you heart! As usual, your northern brain must still be frozen and you just didn't understand my Southern vernacular! "Poor" doesn't always mean "can't afford". In that sentence it meant "unfortunate" or "in an undesirable situation". Since we close the whole state at the threat of the first snowflake, we don't have to deal with snow tires, so I'd not realize that it would not be worth putting extra TPMS sensors in them, nor would I probably think about marking them to put them back in the same place because I just don't swap my tires. See, I keep the knobby mudders on the truck year 'round. BTW, you own a Savoy? I have't seen one of those in years!

1960psavoybypmurphy_1.jpg

(BTW, that was all tongue-in-cheek for fun - I'm just in a silly mood this morning! Sorry to make fun of your typo!)

·
Registered
2017 XT5
258 Posts
On the summary of work performed that my dealer provides, there's a TPMS reset box that the mechanic has to check.

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Those check boxes have proven to be simply boxes the technician checks and not verification the work was done. A couple of weeks ago I had my Honda at the dealer for a recall and was provided a checklist for their multi-point inspection. One of the boxes that was checked was checking and topping fluid levels. Two weeks later when I changed the oil I found the coolant level to be very low. It was at the MIN mark on the overflow tank when fully warmed up. When cold it was not even visible in the tank. I went back to have them top the coolant as they should have for the multi-point inspection. The service writer and then the technician argued that it should be that low to allow for expansion when the weather gets warmer. I argued that the Owners Manual states the coolant should between MAX and MIN at all times at which point they added the official Honda coolant which was why I returned for the fill. I am suspicious the service writer prepared the technician for the reason while they were in the shop out of site before the technician came to talk with me. He wisely came with the jug of coolant and funnel in his hand.

·
Registered
2017 XT5
258 Posts
Those check boxes have proven to be simply boxes the technician checks and not verification the work was done.
Sure, that's possible. Some dealers also might have systems that verify whether each type of work was performed and then automatically generate the report, such as to free the tech from that process and eliminate the errors and fudging that come with manual entry. I'll find out soon enough if the system has a different reading than what I get.

·
Registered
2019 AWD XT4 Sport in Horizon Red
838 Posts
Coming from a real winter state, I believe in real winter tires to match with my AWD. So I've got two tire swaps per year, and I'm coming up to the 4th one since owning the vehicle in a few more weeks. The first three, the independent regional tire place (tho I do think highly of them) has had trouble and had to re-learn how to re-learn the TPMS on the XT5. I was surprised it can take that long for a new model to make it into some of these databases.

Anyway, we'll see here shortly if 4th time is the charm. . .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts