Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac sts
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having trouble with my TPMS on my 08 STS. I get the service tire pressure monitor on my dash display and it only reads one tire. I brought it to a Cadillac dealership and ask them to check it out. I did not buy the car there and it was my first time at that dealership. Anyway, after 3 hours they told me I need a "TPMS RECIEVER" and it would cost $475 for
parts and installation. For now I passed on it until I get a second opinion. I cant seam to find any info on a TPMS RECIEVER. Can anyone fill me in and tell me if this sounds correct.
Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
08 STS-4 N* 1SG, 08 DTS Luxury II, 04 Bonneville GXP N*
3,210 Posts
How long have you had the car?
Do you know the history?
Which of the tires is working?
Can we assume that the remaining three display "---"?
Did all three fail at exactly the same time, or was it a staggered failure?

It's more common to see battery failures in the TPMS sensors, especially in a car of your vintage (which is why I'm wondering about the service history and if they were previously replaced).

The dealership will have a tool to check each of the sensors for performance, which is why they may be suggesting the receiver is faulty.

·
Registered
Cadillac sts
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had the car for about 5 years. The only tire that that the indicator is working one is the front drivers side. I don't know it they have ever been replaced. The Cadillac dealer told me that is was the receiver. I did find receivers on line and the highest price I see is about $180. I notices that
the system started acting up when I hit a couple of pot holes. They were unavoidable unfortunately.

----------

And yes the remaining 3 display "---"

Thank you

----------

I have had the car for about 5 years. The only tire that that the indicator is working one is the front drivers side. I don't know it they have ever been replaced. The Cadillac dealer told me that is was the receiver. I did find receivers on line and the highest price I see is about $180. I notices that
the system started acting up when I hit a couple of pot holes. They were unavoidable unfortunately.

----------

And yes the remaining 3 display "---"

Thank you

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Of course I can't say for sure that the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver is bad, but I'm very suspicious. If you've had the car five years and you're not sure if any of the sensors have been replaced, then they probably haven't. Chances are the previous owner didn't have them replaced either since the car would have been too new and they worked just fine. The expected battery life is 5-7 years and my guess is that you're past that now. If you choose to replaced the RCDLR, you will also have to complete a theft deterrent relearn process since it's an integral part of the anti-theft system. Since your location is not in your profile, I'll assume you are in North America somewhere. If you had a European STS then the TPMS system has a receiver module for each wheel (in addition to the sensors). My bet is that you need some sensors but I guess we'll see.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,440 Posts
My money is on dead TPMS batteries. Replace all 4 sensors and do the relearn process so the receiver knows which sensor is in which wheel.

OEM sensors only - either Amazon, ebay or the online store for BiggDaddyCaddy.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
Find somebody with a Kent-Moore J46079 TPMS analyzer. Every dealer should have one. This device thoroughly exercises both the sensors and the receiver and evaluates their response. It'll tell you everything you need to know about the TPMS system in about a half hour. I picked up mine on Ebay for a couple of hundred bucks and it's paid for itself many times over. There are no mysteries about TPMS, only ignorance.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Find somebody with a Kent-Moore J46079 TPMS analyzer. Every dealer should have one. This device thoroughly exercises both the sensors and the receiver and evaluates their response. It'll tell you everything you need to know about the TPMS system in about a half hour. I picked up mine on Ebay for a couple of hundred bucks and it's paid for itself many times over. There are no mysteries about TPMS, only ignorance.
He did say he's already had it at a Cadillac dealer. I believe they've misdiagnosed the problem. Personally, given the age of the sensors, I believe he needs them replaced anyway. If that doesn't solve the problem then I'd spend additional money on diagnostics but at this point that is probably just throwing away more money.

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac XTS, Former 09 STS and 07 CTS
222 Posts
When I got my oil change at the dealer, they rotated my tires and relearned my TPMS sensors for free with the oil change. The only reason why I used the dealer was for convenience it was on my way to work and they dropped me off at work and picked me up when it was done.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
When I got my oil change at the dealer, they rotated my tires and relearned my TPMS sensors for free with the oil change. The only reason why I used the dealer was for convenience it was on my way to work and they dropped me off at work and picked me up when it was done.
Not sure where you're going with this?

·
Registered
2007 1SG STS v8 awd
502 Posts
I read somewhere that the domestic sts has only one receiver for all for Wheels. That's why if you rotate the Tires you would have to relearn the Tires to the correct location. The foreign sts has separate receivers as I read on here. But I would try the sensors first. My sensors fail when it's cold out and sometimes only one works, but now since its warmed up a bit all work with no issues.

·
Registered
2018 Camaro 2SS/NPP/F55/AQJ, Sold: 2015 Camaro, 2006 STS (EXP) 1997 Seville STS (EXP)
447 Posts
If you had a European STS then the TPMS system has a receiver module for each wheel
The foreign sts has separate receivers as I read on here.
...might be a little off-topic, but...well, no...e.g., the 05 - 07 export STS also only got one receiver...it's the RCDLR...it's the same configuration like the domestics...just using another frequency band (433 MHz)

...I'm not sure on the few 08 and 09 exports atm...and if they really changed a system completely only for those few export cars...which would be kinda strange, imo...so I think it's just a fault in the parts catalog/parts description....
(Darcy, I remember you once told about the 08-up mounting locations for the side blind zone alert sensors in the rear bumper facia on your 08 STS and the labelling from GM indicating they were/might be also for TMPS modules...)

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
...might be a little off-topic...well, no...e.g., the 05 - 07 export STS also got only one receiver...it's the RCDLR...it's the same configuration like the domestics...just using another frequency band (433 MHz)

...I'm not sure on the few 08 and 09 exports atm...and if they really changed a system completely only for those few export cars...which would be kinda strange, imo...so I think it's just a fault in the parts catalog/parts description....
(Darcy, I remember you once told about the 08-up mounting locations for the side blind zone alert sensors in the rear bumper facia on your 08 STS and the labelling from GM indicating they were/might be also for TMPS modules...)
Yes, the export fascia I purchased had the brackets labeled as TPMS on each side. Interestingly, all the export schematics also show separate a receiver for each wheel all communicating with a TPMS module (at least 2008+). I thought I'd seen the same diagrams for pre-2008, but I can't swear by it.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
...might be a little off-topic, but...well, no...e.g., the 05 - 07 export STS also only got one receiver...it's the RCDLR...it's the same configuration like the domestics...just using another frequency band (433 MHz)

Japanese market STSs have a separate receiver for each wheel.

·
Registered
2018 Camaro 2SS/NPP/F55/AQJ, Sold: 2015 Camaro, 2006 STS (EXP) 1997 Seville STS (EXP)
447 Posts
Japanese market STSs have a separate receiver for each wheel.
...that makes sense...
(I forget about the Japan/Korea exports, they were complete out of my mind :D) :)
...yes, Japanese and Korean market STS are the only exports, that use the RPO-Codes AE5 (Lock Controle Remote Entry) and UH3 (TPMS system Var. 2)
...they got the same "domestic" 315 MHz frequency band RCDLR, but they use special/blue colored sensors (some sources say they are 433 MHz?) in the wheels (US/domestic use grey 315 MHz)...
...so that combination makes unique parts and separate receivers for TPMS necessary...

...the other exports (e.g. european, middle east) use code UJ9 for TPMS (05 - 09) and AU8 (05 - 06) UHB (07 - 09) for Lock Control...(all 433 MHz - rke and wheel sensors)

My 2006 european export STS got AU8/UJ9...and as I said...there are no separate receivers in the rear bumper facia...(it's only the RCDLR)...
...I was able to locate the -what I think they are- spots/pockets/provisions in the (05-07 design) rear facia for UH3 receivers...they are empty...
I also found some diagrams for the pre-08...like Darcy/ddalder remarks before...incl. a separate UH3-only-part, a so called "Tire Pressure Module" in the right side trunk area (a part my export also doesn't have... ;) )
...btw., the UH3 front receivers are located/attached below the headlamps...
...so, separate receivers (and the module) are for Japan/Korea exports only...05 -07 and 08 - 09...the other exports and domestic use only the RCDLR...

side note...the only part-# I found for extra receivers was listed as a UH3 part for a 2009 STS...#25858733

·
Registered
2006 CTS 3.6 and 2008 STS N* 1SE
57 Posts
... My sensors fail when it's cold out and sometimes only one works, but now since its warmed up a bit all work with no issues.
I replaced my front tires and since my rear tires where only two months old I put the wheels on in the same spot. The freaken pass side rear TPMS started acting up as soon as the weather got cold. I pumped all tires up to 35psi to compensate for the cold weather. One day it takes 30 miles before it pops bad and other days (when its warm) it will not pop bad at all. Recently my drivers rear TPMS is not popping bad but not reading the correct psi. Lucky for me I didn't send back the other TPMS's I purchased from Amazon when I initially intended on rotating my tires after replacing the two but decided against it. Should I give a relearn a try?

·
Registered
06 STS-V & 06 STS 4 (sold 2016)
2,716 Posts
Yep, just had all four of mine replaced because one was going dead and the others would have soon followed (didn't want to keep going back).

TPMSs that act up in cold weather have dead batteries. No amount of relearning and tinkering will help.

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
8,178 Posts
I've got one OEM still working! All the others are SES from the Continental group.

·
Registered
2005 STS V8
165 Posts
OEM AC Delco TPMS units are $30 on Amazon, is that about as good a deal as it gets?
does the retaining nut need to be replaced with a new one?

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
8,178 Posts
The SES compatibles were lower a few years ago & higher recently. It sounds like a good deal if you need them.

----------

A new retaining nut is usually not needed. The rubber seal is on the sensor. Make sure the core is included. Got a link?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts