Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked but didn't see much about how programming/reprogramming the TMPS.

Every time I get my tires rotated at the dealer they never reprogram the sensors to their new position on the vehicle. My wife got a low pressure warning light last weekend and drove it to a tire store who checked out the tire that was supposed to be low, and said that everything was fine and recommended she see the dealer as they thought it was a TPMS failure or fault. Turns out that anther tire was damaged and leaking but since the sensors weren't programmed correctly by the dealer after they were rotated we ended up damaging a tire beyond repair.

I have a Ateq VT30 TPMS tool that I use for another vehicle (09 Chevy), but I don't know how to put the CTS into learn mode. On my other car I had to put the vehicle in accessory mode and press and hold the lock and unlock buttons on the key fob.

Does anyone know how to put the CTS into learn mode so I can reprogram the sensors to the correct wheel?

·
Registered
2019 CTS 3.6 Premium Luxury AWD V-Sport Trim
244 Posts
You can't without the special tool which is not cheap. This is a big step back from where we were in 2012.

·
Registered
2016 XTS Premium
1,783 Posts
Dealer will perform TPMS at no charge. Just had tires rotated and therefore TPMS must be reset and they performed the reset. I asked if I had to buy one and they said dealers will do it. Seems like GM screwed up on this change where owners cant do the resets manually. Dont think they expected everyone to buy the tool or pay for its use.
Might be worth a check to see if you can do it manually - assuming you have doc or remember the initial steps prior to letting air out - clockwise from left front tire.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got this from an online manual. Apparently it is possible to program them without expensive equipment. I'll give it a try with my Ateq VT30 and see if it works.

TPMS Sensor Matching Process

Each TPMS sensor has a unique identification code. The identification code needs to be matched to a new tire/wheel position after rotating the vehicle’s tires or replacing one or more of the TPMS sensors. The TPMS sensor matching process should also be performed after replacing a spare tire with a road tire containing the TPMS sensor. The malfunction light and the DIC message should go off at the next ignition cycle. The sensors are matched to the tire/wheel positions, using a TPMS relearn tool, in the following order: driver side front tire, passenger side front tire, passenger side rear tire, and driver side rear tire. See your dealer for service or to purchase a relearn tool.

There are two minutes to match the first tire/wheel position, and five minutes overall to match all four tire/wheel positions. If it takes longer, the matching process stops and must be restarted.

The TPMS sensor matching process is:
1.Set the parking brake.
2.Place the vehicle power mode in ON/RUN/START. See Ignition Positions.
3.Make sure the Tire Pressure info display option is turned on. The info displays on the DIC can be turned on and off through the Settings menu. See Driver Information Center (DIC).
4.Use the five-way DIC control on the right side of the steering wheel to scroll to the Tire Pressure screen under the DIC info page. See Driver Information Center (DIC).
5.Press and hold the SEL button in the center of the five-way DIC control.
The horn sounds twice to signal the receiver is in relearn mode and the TIRE LEARNING ACTIVE message displays on the DIC screen.
6.Start with the driver side front tire.
7.Place the relearn tool against the tire sidewall, near the valve stem. Then press the button to activate the TPMS sensor. A horn chirp confirms that the sensor identification code has been matched to this tire and wheel position.
8.Proceed to the passenger side front tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 7.
9.Proceed to the passenger side rear tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 7.
10.Proceed to the driver side rear tire, and repeat the procedure in Step 7. The horn sounds two times to indicate the sensor identification code has been matched to the driver side rear tire, and the TPMS sensor matching process is no longer active. The TIRE LEARNING ACTIVE message on the DIC display screen goes off.
11.Press ENGINE START/STOP to turn the ignition off.
12.Set all four tires to the recommended air pressure level as indicated on the Tire and Loading Information label.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just reprogrammed my sensors to the correct location using the procedure above using my Ateq VT30. So if you have a TPMS activator you can use the procedure above.

·
Registered
14 CTS 2.0T, (traded 08 CTS 3.6)
136 Posts
I gave up on resetting these a long time ago. It takes less time to figure out which tire is low with a visual check or pressure gauge when you get a low pressure warning than the reset procedure takes, if you have to do it yourself. The sensors still work, you just have to verify which tire it's reading. In my experience, it doesn't come up very often.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts