Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"In the future, the cars you see from Toyota will be 100 percent hybrid," executive vice president Kazuo Okamoto told a media scrum attending the Frankfurt auto show in Germany on Monday.

While Okamoto wouldn't offer an ETA for his grand future plans, no-one would be foolish enough to doubt that, if Japan's number one brand decides that such a move is in its best long-term interests, it will happen.

Still, there are factors outside of Toyota's direct control that could keep the automaker from reaching its short and long-term goals, the first being a shortage of hybrid parts; a problem that has plagued the company throughout the year. Watanabe's predecessor, Fujio Cho, had previously set his sights on 300,000 HEV unit sales globally for 2005, but the automaker is currently only on target for 240,000 to 250,000 deliveries. According to Jim Press, Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A. VP of sales, a lack of batteries and other components are the cause of the problem.

Still, Toyota most likely has plans to overcome such setbacks, reach its 400,000 HEV units sales by year-end 2006, and then on past 1 million hybrid models per year by 2010 - its longer-term target. And who can stop them. GM? Ford? DaimlerChrysler? Not likely. Toyota's lead is too long, it's technical know-how too rich, and pockets too deep for any competitor, less Honda, to put up a significant threat."

http://macleans.auto123.com/en/info/news/news,view.spy?artid=49633&pg=1

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
They aren't seeing that hybrids are merely a stop-gap until hydrogen powered cars roll out. They're spending a crapload on short term hybrid stuff while GM is pouring billions into hydrogen, the long term fuel of the future. GM is playing it well and in a bit over the next 2 decades we'll see how it pans out.

·
Registered
1996 Fleetwood
2,536 Posts
I think Toyota's got a hell of a lead, and it will work out well for them. The hybrid techs will lend themselves to supporting any other alternative fuels, (Even hydrogen electric) and even straight out electric cars. The next big possibility may actually be Deisels though, with Benz (DailmerChrysler) getting some new deisels designed that meet emissions levels for 47 states (same levels as gas cars) and patenting them, it may be that Dodge's line runs a series of deisel alternatives, all getting 30+ mpg. Ford's coming up short on hybrid parts, and GM... We''ll see how well Hydrogen works.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
well its a stopgap for sure.
since toyota has invested so much in the technology and enjoys a lead in the marketplace they will continue pushing/hypeing it.
Soon production will become simpler and it won't be too difficult to make it happen.
This "future' probably is like 10 years away.
While hydrogen cars are more like 25-30 years away.
Doesn't hurt to make the competetion sweat and dump more money into hybrid development while Toyota is working on the next new thing. Pretty smart.

Diesels....why aren't there more? Is it environmental laws?
I'm ready for one of them new common-rail-diesel cars!

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Lets see... buy an 87 accord (34mpg) with $20,000 worth of gas......... or a hybrid prius (50mpg) with no gas............. hmm...................

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
yeah...its been well documented that curently it makes more financial sense to buy a non hybrid car and spend the difference on gas.

Honda started marketing their hybrid as the performance version not the economical version (Accords)

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
Which works well for Honda, since most "performance" Hondas consist of body kits, wings, stickers, and no engine mods anyway.

·
Registered
'02 Eldorado; '86 Porsche 911 'Vert; '07 Ford Escape Limited
1,157 Posts
I never liked Hybird's and will never own one. I would rather be paying for gas than driving a vehicle that uses HYDROGEN (which is used in bombs if I may add). I'd rather pay for gas than buy a little whimpy car that can barely touch 100 mph!

·
Banned
1,483 Posts
Well, since GM now has Displacement on Demand that works (unlike the V8-6-4 in 1981 Cadillacs:sneaky: ), I doubt hybrids will end up doing THAT well.

I mean, they're saying that the '07 SUBURBAN will have the same gas mileage as the Honda CR-V does right now, and thats with a 300+ HP V8 engine.

The Impala SS, which has the technology, gets 18 MPG city and 28 MPG freeway with 303HP V8 engine.

Hybrids are merely a stop gap, once GM figures out hydrogen/fuel cell technology, hybrids will seem like a waste.

And I mean, BMW and someone else (maybe Audi?) has teamed up with GM to develop the fuel cells.

Diesel is also making a comeback. In fact, the Cadillac BLS might have a diesel in it when it comes to the states (I can only hope:rolleyes::lildevil: )

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
The reactionary technology is kinda lame for a great country like this.
Seems like we're always playing catch up.
Only technology we kick ass in is defense (yeah how to kill folks...)

electronic gizmos? YEARRRSS behind
cars? behind

Bet your ass that before we die, robots will be everywhere...kinda like in iRobot.
I mean, who wouldn;t want to have a guiltfree mechanical slave doing all the sh1t jobs?
I bet its gonna be Honda robots dominating the market.
we'll have to play catch up again....

·
Banned
Cadillac
16,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There's one hybrid I would seriously look at, and it's only $1,000 more than the gas version. The Ford Escape was something like $33,000 for the gas version, and the hybrid version was like I said 1K more only, and practically DOUBLE the gas mileage! Sounds like a deal to me!! Then look at the Civic hybrid, it was roughly $6,000 more than the basic gas Civic, and the Prius is several thousand more than the gas Corolla!!!

Ford Escape is one I'd consider, and a bargain at that. If a hybrid is several thousand more than the gas version, it doesn't seem practical to me.

·
Registered
'02 Eldorado; '86 Porsche 911 'Vert; '07 Ford Escape Limited
1,157 Posts
Just keep your Beamer's, Maybach's, and Rolls Royce's! Maybe you should invite us all over and have a shin-dig, I call the Rolls and the top room with the balcony:worship: !

1 - 17 of 17 Posts