Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you guys have any experience in towing another vehicle in chicago? I know it's hard to find a double parking spot let alone a single one. The high rise is out of the question as it may not accommodate both vehicles and the turnstile beam might hit the towed vehicle. Any hotels tat will take these for parking?

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
K9Caddy said:
The only hotel that I'm aware of that actually has its own private parking, is the Waldorf. However, you will pay a premium to stay there. You will get white glove service and there is a no tipping policy. http://waldorfastoria3.hilton.com/en/hotels/illinois/waldorf-astoria-chicago-CHIWAWA/index.html?wt.srch=1
I stayed at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel Cavellini in Rome Italy two years ago for a week and yes it was Euros 660.00 a night! I'm not sure if I can park the whole escalade and auto transporter inside their garage in chicago though.

·
Registered
2009 AWD Escalade Ultra Luxury Raven Black
1,800 Posts
I'd call and ask, they are very accommodating. Most other hotels use public parking, which is the problem. Heck, they might let you park up front in the courtyard if you ask nicely. :)

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
K9Caddy said:
I'd call and ask, they are very accommodating. Most other hotels use public parking, which is the problem. Heck, they might let you park up front in the courtyard if you ask nicely. :)
Just checked. Valet parking only. I use to have a cargo box installed in my SUV one time and a valet parking in chicago tried squeeze it inside the covered lot. The top was severely scratched!

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Hmmm... The only other one I can think is the Langham. Another pricey option, but it's #1 on Tripadvisor. They use an open type parking garage, reserved for the hotel only. Enjoy the Travelle bar and restaurant. Delicious!

Ohh, A nice cheaper option is the Palomar. There is public parking directly across the street, and it's an open type lot. Could definitely accommodate you, If not full. Not sure if you trust those type of lots with high dollar items sitting overnight.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Or I can just unhook the auto transporter and park the GLK on the ground and drive to town with just the escalade, I guess. I'll think that's another option.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
That would definitely be the best option. It's not easy to park downtown Michigan Ave.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
So just had the first leg of my towing. A few things: 1. The rear parking sensor is too sensitive when backing up with a trailer causing an abrupt braking. I already turned off the rear cross traffic warning. 2. The sport magnetic ride control is better than touring. 3. It's capable of towing and I like the towing button. The tranny downshifts like a super sport mode sports car tranny pretty cool seeing the rev counter downshift. 4. Too bad it only gets 12-13 mpg vs the hybrids 15-16 mpg. 5. The back up camera has the lines and directional arrows that it's hard to view the hitch of the auto transporter. The hitch ball is very visible but not the towed hitch equipment. Maybe because the camera is so tiny not magnified.

·
Registered
18 LEXUS LX, 17 Rav4, 15 Escalade ESV, 14 Mercedes, had Vette, 2Cadis, T-B & Chevy
1,041 Posts
I have to head on up to NYC from FL and dread taking my new Escalade into the city.
whether it is turning it over to car jockeys or parking in public lots. I dread both.
Maybe it is all the time I lived in the city many decades ago.
I was also born there.
Maybe I will leave it in my south jersey house and rent a car just to take to the city.

·
Registered
18 LEXUS LX, 17 Rav4, 15 Escalade ESV, 14 Mercedes, had Vette, 2Cadis, T-B & Chevy
1,041 Posts
that used to be the standard parking technique.
the bumpers used to be better and stronger than they are now.
now everything is tissue paper.

When I lived there in the 60's and 70's, I thought cars should have bumpers on all four sides.

·
Registered
1 Posts
that used to be the standard parking technique.
the bumpers used to be better and stronger than they are now.
now everything is tissue paper.

When I lived there in the 60's and 70's, I thought cars should have bumpers on all four sides.
Yep. We called it "Bump & Go Parking". We've also been known to push our rear bumpers up against your front bumper, and then floor it to push your car back a foot or two if you're taking up too much space. Alas... plastic bumpers ruined the practice....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts