Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering a first gen SRX once I sell my 03 EXT. I was looking at them before I got the truck 3 years ago.

If I cant put my bike in the bed anymore, I'll need to trailer it occasionally. (8x10 snowmobile trailer w/ 2 motorcycles or an enclosed 5x8 trailer). I'd be trailering 250+ mile trips.

I saw one looking at 07+ Avalanches today, the 3rd row looks like only small children can use it. That sounds like a good idea, but doesn't look like adults can use it. I really like the sport models. I need AWD. I hear MRC is a must. (I think im looking for the 08 sport mrc w/ 18s) I want the N* but I'd like more mpgs. I like the newer interior (07 or 08?) and huge skylight.

I hear warranty is a must, but the local dealers in the northeast don't have what I want. I don't want to get into a truck that's in the shop all the time. Besides rebuilding the tranny, the EXT was basic maintenance.

I'm also looking at 07+ Avalances, 07+ Tundra, 07+ 4runner. Maybe 08+ highlanders or 1st gen FX35
The toyota interiors were pretty weak. I grew spoiled with the escalade.

Would you recommend an SRX in this situation?

·
Registered
Cadillac
738 Posts
Yes, I had some of the same issues when I bought my first SRX, then when I traded in. I first had a fully loaded one, minus the utility package, which had third row seat and towing. I didn't want the tiny third row and you have to put your own hitch on anyway. I could eek maybe 14/15 mpg out of it around town and 17/18 going 75 on the highway (more if there was a strong tailwind). My wife got about 12 in the city. Jump forward 4 years and we have one kid and one on the way, so I got a new '09 (I was waiting for a'10 until I found out they wouldn't have third row seating and no 3.6 V6). This time I went with V6 RWD, which also eliminated MRC. Now my wife averages 16.5 mpg around town and usually 20/21 on the highway. I am a technology freak and had to have MRC the first time and was torn because you can't get MRC on the V6, but I don't miss it at all. I think the V6 sport package rides better than the MRC. The third row is good enough to throw our 3 year old in with Grandma for short trips (I wouldn't make her sit there for 4 hours, but a 30 minute trip around town is fine). The factory SRX can tow 4500 lbs with the trailering package. I bought a transmission oil cooler and transferred the hitch from my 04. I have a 2000 lb capacity trailer that I tow occasionally to the home store or nursery and it is great. As for reliability I had the 04 (built in Sep 03) in the shop once for the transfer case rebuild (known issue with 04's Borg Warner transfer case and has since been resolved) and the passenger side mirror wouldn't tilt up and down. I got rid of it wit 85k miles. My 09 has been in the shop twice, when I first got it the remotes seemed really weak for remote start and they found one was broke on the inside and replaced, but they are still pretty weak. The second time was in January when the battery kept going dead. I guess everything was fine as they only replaced the battery. No other problems at 15k miles. Oh, and 07 vs 08 they upgraded to the new Cadillac steering wheel, which I believe is much nicer.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts