Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
XT5
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to tow my 4500 pound boat & trailer over the mountains this weekend with my 2017 XT5 with 35,000 miles on the odometer. A factory hitch: surge brakes on trailer's four wheels; modified the Torque App to monitor transmission fluid temperature; with the 8-speed I can keep downshifting till I find a stable reasonable coolant and fluid temp; what could go wrong? I should decide, in advance, on the rig's safe word: "220 F?"
At least it's not like the MB where I was warned that once it entered "limp home" mode, I would have to drive home at 20 mph. The Cad says it resets itself: "TRANSMISSION HOT — IDLE ENGINE This message displays and a chime sounds if the transmission fluid in the vehicle gets hot. Driving with the transmission fluid temperature high can cause damage to the vehicle. Stop the vehicle and let it idle to allow the transmission to cool. This message clears when the fluid temperature reaches a safe level."

·
Registered
96 FWB
875 Posts
..... what could go wrong? ....
Yousa. If I a nice 3-year old Cady like that I wanted to keep a decade or so, then I wouldn't do anything that even came close to making me need to ask that question. Instead, I would seriously be combing my town's truck rental outfits dry hunting down the most reasonable weekend rate.

Just nosey, what's the towing cap on that car? And BTW nice boat.

Reactions: JRW

·
Registered
18 XT5 / 18 CTS 3.6 AWD
495 Posts
The manual sets the MAX towing weight to be 3,500lbs. And for an XT5 I would want to keep it below that. It's not exactly designed to tow like a pickup would be. So you've tacked on another 1,000lbs beyond the max. Now to ice that cake you do this through mountains. Sheesh. Let us know how much that transmission is to replace once you blow it.

·
Registered
2020 XT5, Premium Luxury AWD Platinum, Garnet Metallic, 20" Ultra-Bright
1,643 Posts
The manual sets the MAX towing weight to be 3,500lbs. And for an XT5 I would want to keep it below that. It's not exactly designed to tow like a pickup would be. So you've tacked on another 1,000lbs beyond the max. Now to ice that cake you do this through mountains. Sheesh. Let us know how much that transmission is to replace once you blow it.
I seem to recall @Arminius added the factory hitch to his XT5 which is specified to have a 1000 lb towing capacity.

·
Registered
Cadillac CT6 (2019)
2,298 Posts
Agree with the earlier posts; tow capacity with the Cadillac tow package is 3500#, with an extra 1000# and hilly terrain, that should be a no-go for sure. Rent a truck.

·
Registered
XT5
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just curious as to what you thought the maximum transmission fluid temp should be before I downshift. Also interested as to the temp at which it starts beeping. This is a factory option hitch. Rated at 3500 lbs but 4000 in the heavier XT6. No record of the Japanese Aisan transmission ever failing. Vehicle is under warranty and I'd get a new one if replacement were required. It's just a machine with lots of gears.

·
Registered
XT5
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yousa. If I a nice 3-year old Cady like that I wanted to keep a decade or so, then I wouldn't do anything that even came close to making me need to ask that question. Instead, I would seriously be combing my town's truck rental outfits dry hunting down the most reasonable weekend rate.

Just nosey, what's the towing cap on that car? And BTW nice boat.
This 2003 Searay 200 Bowrider has been my winter project. My introduction to the marinized injected Chev 305 making 265 hp at the prop. I write about it in Club Searay.

·
Registered
2020 XT5, Premium Luxury AWD Platinum, Garnet Metallic, 20" Ultra-Bright
1,643 Posts
Just curious as to what you thought the maximum transmission fluid temp should be before I downshift. Also interested as to the temp at which it starts beeping. This is a factory option hitch. Rated at 3500 lbs but 4000 in the heavier XT6. No record of the Japanese Aisan transmission ever failing. Vehicle is under warranty and I'd get a new one if replacement were required. It's just a machine with lots of gears.
Was your XT5 equipped with the factory towing package when delivered by your dealer? Or did you add the trailer hitch subsequent to new delivery?

·
Registered
96 FWB
875 Posts
xt5
This 2003 Searay 200 Bowrider has been my winter project. My introduction to the marinized injected Chev 305 making 265 hp at the prop. I write about it in Club Searay.
Impressive what they've done in 30 years. My '80's 20' Hammond had a 4bbl 350 rated the same 265hp. [Correction: 260hp]

Interweb saves the day. Whenever I spy "no record of" or "never" it gives me a flinch. I quit after about this first hits with, "Cadillac Japanese Asian transmission failing":

So there, a record. LOL Several keywords amounting to, "transmission operating overheating temps" and "how hot fluid to damage modern trans" shows the top temp "without any reduced service life" is 200*. By your 220* mark it's on the way to lasting damage. 225* already too late, - seals are baking. But that's just rough googling - IDK about that specific tranny.

What errbody saying just sounds like you're tempting fate X infinity and beyond. For no real giant good reason. Unless you're delivering it just one time to a new owner over the mountain, then goferit...... LOL

And I was already thinking in line with the poster above. You bring that car in with a toasted tranny under 100k and with a hitch, they be gonna sicking a gang of lawyers on your ass if you don't got every dam thing required for tow package. And probably got warranty micro print about requiring dealer-installed too.

Just tower beware. I'd be using the boat as a great excuse to rent a giant Cady pickup or Suburban when needed.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I wonder if Club Searay ever publishes articles about towing safety? Or, how to calculate weight?

With a 3,550 DRY weight, estimating at 4,500 lbs on the road seems rather lean. By the time you add fluids, equipment, and the weight of the dual axle trailer, imho you'll probably be closer to 5,000 than 4,500.

But, no worries - You're under warranty. Just leave the loved ones at home. They don't deserve being put at risk like this. Good luck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Would the warranty still cover it if you've exceeded the towing capacity by over 1000 lbs?

·
Registered
2005 Base CTS work at Pullen solenoids Glass Factory for 36 and a half years
268 Posts
They won't cover it if they read this forum and a lot of manufacturers hire people just to go through forums like this. It's happened a number of times on some of the Ford forums I'm on.

Roy

·
Registered
XT5
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The real issues, assuming the operator manages coolant and trans fluid temps, are braking and control. My point is that CAFE has forced an absurd number of gears upon us. However, we now have the range of a semi-driver in maintaining hp at lower speeds. Braking concerns me and I personally added 2 sets of trailer wheel brakes to the two that were already there. The master surge cylinder has the capacity for four drum sets and I had them professionally bled and adjusted by a truck/trailer outfit. Then there is the issue of the heavier tail jackknifing the dog off the road; well, I am experienced and will take it easy. I think the power train has more than enough capacity but it was the issue of adequate weight on the tow vehicle to cause Cad to uprate the heavier XT6 to 4000 pounds.

240 F seems a reasonable max temp before downshifting. The engine and transmission coolers are integrated and it runs a 221 F thermostat so that is the low end of the working range. These expensive synthetic fluids may have a rationale:

·
Registered
2016 ATS4 2.0T and a bunch of other stuff....
627 Posts
"Torture time" pretty much sums it up.

Good luck - I wouldn't do it.

I towed a 4500# boat with a 1986 Ford Bronco (much more capable with a 7k tow rating) for 2 years.

When it jackknifed me on a panic stop, it got traded for an F-250 before the summer was over.

Reactions: JRW

·
Registered
2005 Base CTS work at Pullen solenoids Glass Factory for 36 and a half years
268 Posts
I would also add a sway control setup like this one or ones similar just to be safe.

Roy

·
Premium Member
XT5 2018 Premium Luxury
1 Posts
When they see that the transmission fluid is burnt, I doubt they will fix it under warranty.

I would not tow, this is too much weight for a XT5.

·
Registered
SRX,ATS,CTS(2), CT6
94 Posts
Resisting the urge to expound on why you are nuts, I'll just drop a marker here so when you start the new thread next month whining about your broken Caddy or listing your abused heap for sale as "mint", we'll know to ignore you. Seriously, if you can afford to trash a late model caddy that you presumably own, you can probably afford a proper pickup. Then again, it might just enable you to get yourself in deeper trouble or hurt someone else in the course of your misadventure. Maybe next time you might consider keeping these bright ideas to yourself rather than bragging about abusing your vehicle and risking the safety of others.

·
Registered
2005 STS V8 (F55,FE3,RWD)
34 Posts
I have been towing for 40 years... Been towing a boat for 25 years.... I would never tow more than 2,000 - 2,500 lbs with the XT5. My first boat was a 20' Bayliner with the 5.0L (305) which is a very similar match to what you are towing. I towed this with a '93 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a 5.2L rated to tow 6,500 lbs. The Jeep was factory equipped with the heavy duty tow package. On days above 92-93 degrees I could not use air conditioning and would have to tow with open windows and once or twice with the HEAT on to keep the transmission cool enough to shift. Also, the Jeep would never lock up the trailer surge brakes when I needed to stop. I thought it was just a crappy trailer. When I upgraded to a '97 Suburban it was a completely different world. I could tow with full A/C in 100 degree heat. The first time that I braked hard the trailer brakes locked up. The Jeep (which the XT5 is only about 200-300 lbs heavier) just did not have enough mass and braking power to fully engage the trailer surge actuator and stop the boat from pushing the Jeep. I would not even use the XT5 to tow that boat 5 miles on a quiet country road....

·
Registered
156 Posts
Guys, the OP has a long history of posting outlandish stuff like this. Between bashing the XT5 because it's not RWD or that it can't tow like a 1/2 ton, or posting some questionable tech tips, I kind of get the sense he likes to stir the pot with this nonsense to get a rise out of people.

Clearly anyone publicly advocating towing way past the limits of the vehicle is looking for attention. I suggest we just ignore the thread and and not feed this trollish behavior any longer. No doubt, he will come back after this weekend and say the XT5 handled it in spades and will suggest pushing it even further. Let's not keep entertaining this nonsense. I don't think this is an objective of this forum to advocate grossly unsafe behavior.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts