Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I did a couple of searches but did not really see the satisfactory answer I was looking for. So forgive me if already posted.

Last week I towed my Wells Cargo bike trailer (7X14) through the Great Smokey Mountains with my 07 Lade. There was one incline that increased the transmission temp to about 225 and the coolant beyond the halfway point of maybe another 1/4 to a 1/3 but not beyond that or near the red line. Those temps lasted for less than 2 minutes and quickly cooled down when I hit peak and headed down a 2 mile 7% incline. Although, then of course the brakes heated up a bit because I could smell them. But only briefly and near the end of the downward slope.

So the question I have is---are these temps extreme for such a short period of towing incline? Should I be concerned? Had they gone higher I would have pulled off and allowed to cool down at an increased idle but assumed I was okay. Agreed?

hcvone I know you do a lot of towing and am curious to get your perspective.

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
Escalade ext
134 Posts
IMO ... any incline with trailer is tough on an engine/tranny. But, as long as you watch the gauges and keep them in check ... you should be fine. If that's 90% of your driving ...well then Id consider add ons ... such as a lower thermostat and aux tranny cooler (but since one is built in ... its a tad redundant). GM tests these things ... so its kind of expected.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
You are fine, you have synthetic trans fluid, however you may want to check and smell your brake fluid, probably got pretty hot and may have boiled some. This was one of the first things I changed when I was towing from PA to Montana with a big boat in tow

·
Registered
2009 Escalade
225 Posts
Curious, what is the average trans temp with normal driving, light throttle, city driving? Mine seems to always be at 155-165 degrees. Is that right? It been up to 180 maybe even over sometimes when I was stuck in rush hour traffic on a 80 degree day.

·
Registered
Escalade ext
134 Posts
Curious, what is the average trans temp with normal driving, light throttle, city driving? Mine seems to always be at 155-165 degrees. Is that right? It been up to 180 maybe even over sometimes when I was stuck in rush hour traffic on a 80 degree day.
LMAO!!!! 80 degree day .... Thats a cold winter day here in South Florida...

Since they are both cooled essentially by the same radiator .. .the temps are going to mirror each other ... to a point.

·
Registered
2009 Escalade
225 Posts
LMAO!!!! 80 degree day .... Thats a cold winter day here in South Florida...

Since they are both cooled essentially by the same radiator .. .the temps are going to mirror each other ... to a point.
LOL I figured that! What part of South FL? Im thinking of moving soon to the area. I dont like the cold winters here!

·
Registered
Cadillac
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see between the 155-165 range that you mentioned with no tow. This in SC and VA. Coolant temps are always straight uo regardless. But with tow I did see the 20% increase..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts