Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Deville base
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 Deville Base.

I moved up to Inuvik, NWT a year ago... my job flew me up but I'm looking at bringing up my car this summer, which is a long journey over some rough terrain. I've got new tires which should do the job driving a couple thousand clicks on shale, and mud, and ... whatever the Alaska and Dempster highways may throw at me.

The car is riding low at that back which to me signifies it's probably time to spend a pile repairing the ELS components -- either the pump or the air shocks.

I'm looking for a suggested alternative, non-air, non-electrical, that is capable of towing a trailer... I'd like to bring a lightweight trailer back with me, a tent trailer or something of similar tongue/trailer weight.

As an aside, I would like to put a cargo basket on the roof. Sounds absurd, I know, but I'm not one to get rid of a car until it's done, and this one have tons of miles left in it.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks
Jeff

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
I know that for my 1992, there is an available option at the auto parts store that replaces the air or electric suspension with a longer standard strut. You may want to visit your local store and see if there is such an option available for your model.

----------

Try this link. Not cheap, but it's probably available somewhere else online for less. At least we know that the option exists.

http://www.autozone.com/suspension-steering-tire-and-wheel/shock-strut-rear/westar-shock-strut-rear/cadillac/deville/2002/8-cylinders-y-4-6l-sfi-dohc/432067_6880_2019/

----------

Ebay has it "buy it now" for a $100 less than the other link, just search the part number ("ck-7616 westar" is what I searched.)

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
Fix the system, it is more than capable of handling towing a trailer and your back with appreciate the ride unlike the load helper shocks. It will ride like a truck...
Check your codes, it could even just be ride height sensor issue.
As for roof racks... never seen a DeVille of that era with one. Check etrailer web site or google.

·
Registered
2002 Deville base
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should have mentioned... the low rear hasn't ever given any codes. That would have been gorgeous versus the misfire codes I was getting a while back :)

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,270 Posts
I should have mentioned... the low rear hasn't ever given any codes. That would have been gorgeous versus the misfire codes I was getting a while back :)
-------------------------------
FIRST - let me suggest that you replace the Deville with a pick-up - or SUV -
they would be MUCH better suited for the NWT than a Deville -

with that said -

coil-over shocks are a HORRIBLE choice -
and would be a BIG mistake -

the BEST choice for new air shocks would be -
Monroe MA822 - $55.10 - for the pair - with free shipping -
http://www.amazon.com/Monroe-MA822-Max-Air-Shock-Absorber/dp/B000C55T7W/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3CM4NUYDVGV5D

if the compressor has failed -
you have two choices -

install the manual fill kit - Monroe AK29 - around $12 -

replace the compressor -
a brand new - genuine GM 12494809 - $245 - with free shipping -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-GENUINE-OEM-SUSPENSION-COMPRESSOR-WITH-DRIER-FOR-GM-VEHICLES-/291399250265?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43d8bfb159&vxp=mtr

there is also a used one on ebay for $110 -

1 - 5 of 5 Posts