Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac SRX Luxury (AWD)
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I just finished installing the Draw-Tite Class III hitch on my 2014 SRX! To my surprise, the holes were pre-drilled (although, VERY rusty) on the frame of the vehicle and the electrical was pre-wired!

I know that for 2014, the SRX towing capacity is 2,500 lbs. WITHOUT the package and 3,500 lbs. with the towing package.

Is there any way that I can find out?

Thank you!

Edit: I have stumbled upon this thread dated back to 2014. This thread shows the most obvious tell-tale sign of whether your SRX came equipped with the tow package or not. The rear bumper cover for the hitch is flat for those vehicles without the towing package and the vehicles equipped with the towing package has a different plastic hitch cover where it has a bump around the hitch.

·
Registered
2015 SRX Premium FWD
1,192 Posts
Vehicle build info. The dealer might run that for you. Or look and see if you have an external trans cooler.

·
Registered
2015 SRX Premium FWD
1,192 Posts
One of the trans cooler lines would come out of the radiator and go to a finned cooler and then directed back to the transmission. Normally, without the external cooler, the hoses from the tyranny are just one into the radiator and the one out returning to the tranny.

·
Registered
2011 SRX4 3.0 Engine
1,002 Posts
i personally don't think i would tow too much with a caddy, the tranny hunts and is overworked enough as is, and the engine has so-so power, unless its just something like a rental from a rental store tiny trailer with dirt/bark or fat mother in law... i would not take the risk. IMHO buy /rent a rig that's cable of the task

but that's just my opinion, and not a fact from experience ....steve

·
Registered
2012 SRX4 Premium
716 Posts
I agree. The SRX is a very poor choice for towing. It's pretty cheap insurance to rent a truck instead and save wear and tear on your fancy, yet expensive to repair SRX. Actually I chuckle to see people going down the road pulling trailers with FWD platform vehicles. Then again I've owned a pickup, just for stuff like this since I was 18 years old. Your car though, so do what you want. I find though when you baby your vehicle it lasts longer and give you far less headaches. The less abuse it takes the more trouble-free miles you'll get out of it.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i personally don't think i would tow too much with a caddy, the tranny hunts and is overworked enough as is, and the engine has so-so power, unless its just something like a rental from a rental store tiny trailer with dirt/bark or fat mother in law... i would not take the risk. IMHO buy /rent a rig that's cable of the task

but that's just my opinion, and not a fact from experience ....steve
Hi Steve,

I agree with you! My sole purpose of installing the hitch was to rent a U-Haul utility trailer here and there whenever I purchase something big that I cannot put it in the trunk. Those delivery fees can really add up! I see myself using this car to haul something maybe 5 or 6 times a year. I appreciate your input and I couldn't agree more.

Cheers

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree. The SRX is a very poor choice for towing. It's pretty cheap insurance to rent a truck instead and save wear and tear on your fancy, yet expensive to repair SRX. Actually I chuckle to see people going down the road pulling trailers with FWD platform vehicles. Then again I've owned a pickup, just for stuff like this since I was 18 years old. Your car though, so do what you want. I find though when you baby your vehicle it lasts longer and give you far less headaches. The less abuse it takes the more trouble-free miles you'll get out of it.
I've seriously considered purchasing a used pick up, but then again, I really don't see myself needing that much of a utility on a frequent basis.

I absolutely love this car, no headaches and no dealership visits. Except for the Cue screen and the climate controls that broke..... I couldn't use the heated seats or even turn on the heater for a few days when that happened!

·
Registered
2013 SRX PERFORMANCE, ICE WHITE
614 Posts
If your SRX had the Towing Package the hitch should already have been installed. You would not have to be adding it.

George

·
Registered
2016 SRX Premium- Black on Black
117 Posts
As noted by George; if you had the towing packing you should already have a hitch, wiring and the transmission cooler.
As far as I'm aware along with a different hitch cover those 3 items make up the towing packing.

As for towing; I tow two motorcycles with on a 7X13 Aluma trailer on 2 trips a year without any issues.
I estimate the tow rig weighs in at around 3000 lbs.

I will say however I start and stop "gingerly" just to keep from over straining the transmission and brakes.
I am considering replacing my Aluma trailing with one with electric brakes as stopping 3000 lbs. in a hurry does concern me sometimes.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have now towed a few times with mine, I would normally tow a Goldwing motorcycle on a 5x10 utility trailer 850lb bike on a 800lb trailer = 1650lb total. Car tows it well and only downshifts to 4th on longer steeper grades. I did tow a 7.5x16 triton aluminum trailer with a small tractor once.. probably 3000lbs. definitely felt that and probably won't do it again. the trailer did have manual hydraulic brakes so stopping was assisted, but it was for sure at the limits I'd put it to.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts