Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend asked me to help with his racing trailer, as his truck broke down. I have never tow anything big ever. So it's like 30' + trailer, inside racing car, tools and many different equipment. My guess around 5,000 to 6,000 lbs. I don't have electrical brake control, but it was not far to drive just about 15 miles. So I noticed when truck is on tow mode, it will brake with engine. it was doing fine on good grade hills. And we connect the trail on hitch, the rear of truck went down, and pump came one, was running for 1-2 level a truck and shut off, when we came to our destination, pump was not running and truck was level, after unhooked it pump start running again with little different noise and rear went down and leveled again. I think it was a good test for my rear suspension parts.

·
Registered
2009 escalade hybrid
3,710 Posts
Should be no problem. Up to 8100 lbs is the towing capacity of the escalade and escalade hybrid.

·
Registered
2007 STS-V, 2007 Escalade, 2003 Escalade EXT, 2014 ELR
825 Posts
Should be no problem. Up to 8100 lbs is the towing capacity of the escalade and escalade hybrid.
The part that scared me was the no trailer brake control. He's a braver soul than I.

·
Registered
'16 VSport (wife's), '10 Escalade, '97 & '02 SS Camaro's, '15 Silverado LTZ
1,131 Posts
There's no way I'd tow that without a brake controller. Do you realize you'd be liable for the trailer and it contents; and any damage or injury it might cause for someone else if all of the holes in the cheese lined up?

·
Registered
08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
1,852 Posts
2kflhr said:
There's no way I'd tow that without a brake controller. Do you realize you'd be liable for the trailer and it contents; and any damage or injury it might cause for someone else if all of the holes in the cheese lined up?
you'd still be liable with trailer brakes, if driven at a safe speed and distance the truck itself is very well capable of stopping with that trailer

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I know . But a truck did a great job braking . You have to chose safe and comfortable distance and speed . I drove 25 mph for few minutes tried brakes , than went up 40 than 45 than 50/ 55 mph . This is a just to get comfortable. I like the feature engine braking that helps a lot to stop and going down hill to keep 55 mph .
I was happy with adjustable struts are working properly .

·
Registered
08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
1,852 Posts
evois said:
Don't most trailers come with surge brakes? Not sure if that's what it's called.
most of the flatbed type and marine use have surge brakes alot of the enclosed and camper type use electric

1 - 9 of 9 Posts