Cadillac Owners Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

· Registered
2005 CTS-V Racecar, 2018 Escalade ESV, 2019 CT6-V, 2023 Escalade-V ESV (incoming)
1,339 Posts
Lol damn. I did it so hard on mine once that it split the skin open lol... F*$k it hurt so bad... Nerve endings everywhere down there.
I've tried putting it horizontal and vertical, even putting a piece of foam over it. Although I had to actually remember to put the foam over it to get the full effect :canttalk:

· Registered
2005 CTS-V Black
172 Posts
Second track day coming up (Thunderhill) and though I've never needed a tow hook, kinda feel like I should have one - even if just for the mojo.
there's no sandtraps @ thill to worry about, just really really rutted runoff if you get out far enough, in which case, yeah you may need a tow if you hit the wrong rut and break a control arm or something. :D

· Registered
2005 Raven Black CTS-V
978 Posts
Been off more times than I care to admit at THill... and you're right, hard to get stuck there. I've decided to skip it for now (crosses fingers).
Thunderhill is a pretty fun track. I cannot wait until the finish the second track they are building now.

· Registered
2005 CTS-V
100 Posts
Hi all - prepping for a day on Thunderhill West next Friday. Last trip there ended poorly, wished I'd had a towhook after all.

I drilled the hole as recommended, mine was a little lower and to the right from the spec posted, but it got me close enough.

Found a 5/8x18 wouldn't go, but a 9/16x20 went in, about four threads, unsure if that's a sign that I was on the right track or not. Hard to be sure with a nearly ten year old thread buried 3" inside the bumper.... Store didn't have a similar M14.

Any confirmation of thread size and pitch would be great. I have a 2005.

· Administrator
'05 CTS-V
9,365 Posts
It's unlikely that it's an Imperial thread. With a few exceptions (spark plugs, lug nuts, ...) even domestic cars have been all metric since the '90s.

With that said, I haven't done this myself, so I don't know for certain.

· Registered
2005 CTS-V
100 Posts
Going to rewrite this, post bumper removal.

The bolt is 5/8 coarse thread. Looked fine through the hole I drilled, and even once the bumper was off. But 5/8 fine wouldn't go, and the 5/8 coarse towhook I had on hand (from our Volvo) fit perfectly.

Lesson learned: jclayc was right, the hole was pretty much where described, and I'm a knucklehead. Now I get to put the rear bumper back on... fourteen bolts, six screws, eight nuts, three christmas trees, and six push pins. Joy.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.