Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
srx
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2012 Luxury package SRX, the manual states that the tow capacity is 25oolbs unless you have the tow package which increases the weight to 3500lbs. Here is where I am alittle confused. what constitutes the tow package, because cadillac couldnt even tell me if we had the tow package or not. I checked and found that the wire harness is there at the bumper, behind the facial plate. Does this mean that I have the tow package? Cadillac wanted over $400 bucks to install that wiring before I knew that it was already there. Reason for asking is, I am having a tow hitch installed(not by Cadillac) this week and I am looking to pull a 17ft boat that weighs approximately 2300lbs with the trailer.

·
Registered
'21 XT5 Prem-Lux w/ Platinum
1,479 Posts
The tow package is a factory installed option which includes the hitch receiver (behind the rear faceplate/cover), a finished 4-prong plug in for trailer hookup, and a transmission oil cooler. I have that package on mine.

There is a dealer installed transmission oil cooler than can be installed too, which would allow you to tow 3500 lbs. Without it (or an equivalent aftermarket) TOC it is recommended to not tow more than 2500 lbs.

All SRXs come with the wiring for towing, but it is not finished with a plug end (as I understand it) nor hitch receiver.

Hope this helps.
Max

EDIT: Added couple pictures of different rear facias with/without factory hitch closeouts/faceplates

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 SRX
10 Posts
I need to add a hitch also. In the picture of the black SRX, is that hitch cover something you can buy just for the SRX? Is that the dealer installed hitch? Is that a replacement for the old center facia? Or do most hitches show after the center facia is removed to istall the hitch?

·
Registered
'21 XT5 Prem-Lux w/ Platinum
1,479 Posts
I believe you can get the dealer to order the hitch closeout/cover. The key would be if the new hitch receiver is the same dimensions as the factory one, and if the cover fits over it and still will fasten to the mount points.

Attached are some pix with the cover removed, and factory receiver visible. Hard to see in the picture, but there is the 4 prong wire plug to the left of the receiver.

Max

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 SRX Performance Black Raven/Ebony w/Ebony
271 Posts
I need to add a hitch also. In the picture of the black SRX, is that hitch cover something you can buy just for the SRX? Is that the dealer installed hitch? Is that a replacement for the old center facia? Or do most hitches show after the center facia is removed to istall the hitch?
Here is a post where I installed a trailer hitch on my SRX and the details in purchasing the hitch and everything needed including the trailer hitch closeout cover.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forum...-forum-2010/402233-trailer-hitch-install.html

"Trailer hitch closeout (19172271) - $70.00 purchased from shopchevyparts.com "

It would most likely be better to try to find the trailer hitch closeout cover online then at the dealer, unless they price match. I don't know of any hitch that you can install where the factory cover will fit without you altering it. There has been some on the forum that have used their factory cover and just cut out the portion where the hitch will remain visible but everything else is covered by the cover and they purchase a standard hitch receiver cover. I believe there might be some posts on the thread I mentioned above that talks about that and might even have some pics so check it out.

But from my understanding, if you do not have the transmission oil cooler installed you should not tow more than 2500lbs. I do not have the TOC installed yet but plan on having it done this way I have the option to two 3500lb if needed.

~Tina~

·
Registered
2012 SRX Luxury
271 Posts
My 201s did not have the towing package so I added it myself. I installed a Curt hitch which fit under the factory close out cover, which I also ordered and the pigtail for the lights, cost about $15 if I remember correctly. In my case I added the factory transmission cooler to increase the towing capacity to 3500 lbs.

Phil

·
Registered
2019 AWD XT4 Sport in Horizon Red
841 Posts
So if I bought it new off the lot with the tow package on the sticker and that faceplate on the back with the hitch receiver under it. . . it should have the transmission cooler already installed? For some reason this subject keeps coming up. Does anyone have a picture of what the transmission cooler looks like compared to a "non" version on a 2012- SRX?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.