Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Went to my mother in law house and parked near a tree that released tiny micro droplets what look like syrup . all over the car.

I was 100 miles from the house so I decided to find a car wash and get it off.

But there were still a small circular spot on the paint where the syrup was .

Told the detailer about what happen so they took off the CC.9H.

And reapplied it for free.
I forgot that it comes with a 3yr warranty.

The Champ is back fresh looking.

Moral to the story don't park near trees if you can help it.
Tree sapp will fk things up quickly.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk
I thought it was a given that everyone knows never park tour car under a tree. I’ve been avoiding them since I was young. The sap destroys your finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 XTS Luxury AWD, 2004 SRX N* AWD (gone)
1,768 Posts
In my younger years I used to date this nurse practitioner, and I remember she told me story about bird poop hit her partialy in her eye, and she had to go to the Doctors about 4 months, she mention it almost blinded her.
Same with dried bird excrement...some people have seriously became ill after cleaning out their bird house.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I thought it was a given that everyone knows never park tour car under a tree. I’ve been avoiding them since I was young. The sap destroys your finish.

Some trees rarely give off sap, others give it off often such as conifers. Some only give off sap at certain times of the year, while others only when they are under stress from an infection.

This last summer I went to the park and the trees I was under don't normally give off sap, but this time they did, probably due to an infection. On the way back to the car I could feel some sort of wet stuff hitting my face every so often. When at the car I didn't notice anything on the car, BUT on the way home with the sunlight hitting the windshield the sap was clearly there all over the windshield and car. When I got home I didn't have time to clean the whole car but did as much as I could with IPA solution, and finished it the next day. Lucky for me I had stacked two layers of wax on top the ceramic coat. The wax protected the ceramic coat which protect the clear coat. Wax is easy to take off along with the sap, ceramic coat has to be removed with a DA cutting pad and compound, then polished with a polish pad and polish, then the coat reapplied - a lot of work and expense that can be avoided with a couple of layers of quality wax over the ceramic coat. Ceramic coat is good for protection, but not perfect.

·
Registered
2000 Deville DHS
800 Posts
My detailer told me to use Echo just for dusting at car shows and what not but not to use it for actual dirt or road grime? For washing your ceramic coated car Carpro reset is great. I don't know what it is but meguiars gold left a residue on my ceramic coated cars but had no issues on my other cars.
Your detailer gave you the safe advice, which is the smart thing to do considering you don’t know what some people consider full on dirty.. For some it’s just past dusty whereas others might try to think it’s ok to wipedown road salt off a car.

Car show dust is the smart advice and I’d likely tell most people the same thing, however I’ve never been afraid to use it to waterless wash a full on dirty car as long as we’re not talking about actual mud dirty. As long as you Spray liberally and use good technique it’s possible.

And yea it’s best to avoid soaps like Gold Class because it contains conditioners which don’t play well with coatings as they try to interfere and impart their own temporary film on top.

I used it on my car...no issues, but one has to make sure to take it all off once it hazes over, same with Mother's Synthetic wax.
I had Xpel put on the hood and front of mine...which I also ceramic coated and then waxed.
Yup, that’s very true in regards to Ech2o. Kind of annoying but it’s not too bad and certainly not a dealbreaker. On my own vehicle I use Wolfgang Uber Rinseless Wash Concentrate @waterless dilution for wipedowns.

Not according to my research, where pro detailers say stacking over ceramic presents no issues, and as long as in the proper order is followed, the wax does not defeat the protectiveness of the ceramic coat. The proper order to achieve the protective aspect of the ceramic coat is ceramic first, wait the specified amount of day(s), then wax. I did that with mine and am really pleased with the result.
By defeating the purpose all I meant was you’ll cover up the characteristics i.e. the fierce water beading from the coating and replace them [at least in the short term] with the characteristics of whatever product you top the coating with. And since typical “waxes” don’t bead water as tight as coatings most would consider it a diminished effect.

I’m personally not a fan of coatings. I prefer sealant on my own vehicles as I’ve found the protection to be better, even if it means I have to re apply 4 times per year.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Some trees rarely give off sap, others give it off often such as conifers. Some only give off sap at certain times of the year, while others only when they are under stress from an infection.

This last summer I went to the park and the trees I was under don't normally give off sap, but this time they did, probably due to an infection. On the way back to the car I could feel some sort of wet stuff hitting my face every so often. When at the car I didn't notice anything on the car, BUT on the way home with the sunlight hitting the windshield the sap was clearly there all over the windshield and car. When I got home I didn't have time to clean the whole car but did as much as I could with IPA solution, and finished it the next day. Lucky for me I had stacked two layers of wax on top the ceramic coat. The wax protected the ceramic coat which protect the clear coat. Wax is easy to take off along with the sap, ceramic coat has to be removed with a DA cutting pad and compound, then polished with a polish pad and compound, then the coat reapplied - a lot of work and expense that can be avoided with a couple of layers of quality wax over the ceramic coat. Ceramic coat is good for protection, but not perfect.
I don’t know which trees do abs which don’t. Honestly I don’t care. I just don’t park under trees period. I learned that lesson many years ago. No thanks. My wife knows already when we’re looking for a spot I don’t care hire far away I have to park I will not park under a tree. Simple as that.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I don’t know which trees do abs which don’t. Honestly I don’t care. I just don’t park under trees period. I learned that lesson many years ago. No thanks. My wife knows already when we’re looking for a spot I don’t care hire far away I have to park I will not park under a tree. Simple as that.

Not all the time does one get the choice of not parking under trees. In fact where I live it's rare not to have trees around, so it is good to know which ones are more likely to give off sap.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Your detailer gave you the safe advice, which is the smart thing to do considering you don’t know what some people consider full on dirty.. For some it’s just past dusty whereas others might try to think it’s ok to wipedown road salt off a car.

Car show dust is the smart advice and I’d likely tell most people the same thing, however I’ve never been afraid to use it to waterless wash a full on dirty car as long as we’re not talking about actual mud dirty. As long as you Spray liberally and use good technique it’s possible.

And yea it’s best to avoid soaps like Gold Class because it contains conditioners which don’t play well with coatings as they try to interfere and impart their own temporary film on top.

Yup, that’s very true in regards to Ech2o. Kind of annoying but it’s not too bad and certainly not a dealbreaker. On my own vehicle I use Wolfgang Uber Rinseless Wash Concentrate @waterless dilution for wipedowns.

By defeating the purpose all I meant was you’ll cover up the characteristics i.e. the fierce water beading from the coating and replace them [at least in the short term] with the characteristics of whatever product you top the coating with. And since typical “waxes” don’t bead water as tight as coatings most would consider it a diminished effect.

I’m personally not a fan of coatings. I prefer sealant on my own vehicles as I’ve found the protection to be better, even if it means I have to re apply 4 times per year.
Yep, understood. I haven't use a sealant. What I used sheets the water off quickly, so I'm please with it, and it gives a great wet look shine. I don't mind re-applying wax as needed. It's probably a bit of overkill, until one gets bird droppings or sap on that cannot be immediately taken off - in this case the two layers of wax save the ceramic coat that saves the clear coat.

To get all the wax residue off, I park the car in the garage, no lights on except for a trouble light which I put close up to the car at a slight angle which clearly shows any areas that still need buffing.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts