Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
94 Seville; 95 FWB; 07 DTS
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

This is the result of an encounter with a deer. Insurance company wants to declare car a total loss. To them maybe it is, to me it is not. How do I proceed? I do not intend on junking this car, neither I am willing to accept book value.

The body shop estimate was just shy of $4000. Quite frankly some of the items that they want to replace does not need to be replaced IMO. For example the bumper, and some of the chrome trim. They quoted some obscene amount for paint/refinish but the only colored piece that was damaged is the bumper filler. The fender, I do not think has to be replaced but the guy insisted on putting it on the estimate. What should I do?

·
Registered
95 triple black fwb
890 Posts
was that the ins company's adjuster
there is no way thats 4k
also since I just went thru all this,
just a month ago, if you reach a settlement include that you will be keeping the car as well as the settlement,in my case they knocked off $300
but I got them to go up $500, from there first offer
remember YOU have final say in this not them, they cant insist on junking your car, find common ground with them and you most likely will come out ahead when its all said and done
thats an easy fix !!

·
Registered
95 FWB 81SDV 96 FWB 94 Fleetwood
1,442 Posts
Let them total it and you keep the car... then the Fleetwoodguy will sell you all the parts you will need to fix it... Looks to me its a real eazy fix.. ask the Fleetwoodguy what he needs to get for the parts.. sent or post some better pictures of the damage... then you know what it cost for some good used parts... then you can put them on or pay one of your friends that know how...I would not do any paint work...just fix all the plastic....

·
Registered
'94, '93 & '76 FWBs. '77 '79 & '73 CDVs, '65 Drop, '62 CDV
414 Posts
Nah easy one - look the bumper trim isn't even dented.
I got a grill on ebay for just over 100 bucks and you could get the lamps for the same. Find a junked or badly rearended car and make a deal on all the parts you need, including clips and screws.
A bit of bodywork and you're grand. Check the car isn't misaligned though.

My 76 Fleet rolled into a wal once, pushed the bumper back on it's spring and scraped the paint on the rear filler but just misses the side trim tip. Insurance asssessor wanted a grand (pounds!!) plus parts plus tax to fix it. Said I had to repaint the whole side.
A buddy of mine and I put a portapower ram under the bumper and pushed it back out fine and he painted the scratches back for 150 pounds.
You might even get this fixed for less than your insurance deducible if you fit the lamps and grille back in yourself (very easy).

Good luck - and hope you enjoyed the venison! (sorry bad taste I know!)

regards, nick

·
Registered
95 triple black fwb
890 Posts
Let them total it and you keep the car... then the Fleetwoodguy will sell you all the parts you will need to fix it... Looks to me its a real eazy fix.. ask the Fleetwoodguy what he needs to get for the parts.. sent or post some better pictures of the damage... then you know what it cost for some good used parts... then you can put them on or pay one of your friends that know how...I would not do any paint work...just fix all the plastic....
thanks for the mention!
I already talked with him and put together a great pkg deal for what he needs
appreciate it !!

·
Registered
02 Escalade | 02 Corvette "Goldilocks" | 03 Blazer 4x4 | 92 Caprice Wagon LS1/T56
19,692 Posts
So he's keeping it? :) That doesn't look like much at all honestly.

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
You should keep the car that's an easy fix :)

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
A total for that, WTF? When my '95 DeVille got totaled it was because the whole front end was wrapped sideways, and even that was only $6000 in damage, I just couldn't afford the difference at the time or else I would have kept the car. Take it to another shop and get a different quote. Buy the headlight and grille yourself, not from the body shop.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
ok, way kool fellas....I knew I"m no dummy. I am definitley keeping the ride, I just can't believe how this insurance company is trying to shit on me. This is the body shop that the insurance company referred me to. The guy at the shop just got happy and made this crazy list of what needed to be removed/replaced and 20 hours labor.

if you reach a settlement include that you will be keeping the car as well as the settlement,in my case they knocked off $300
but I got them to go up $500,
how is this accomplished?

I intend to do the job myself, if need be.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
They will offer you a price to total the car and they take it. However, they will give you the option of taking like $300-$500 off that price, but you get to keep the car. Go that route. Take the money, keep the car and fix it. Given your situation and the little amount of damage you could probably make a cool $1000 off it as well.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They will offer you a price to total the car and they take it. However, they will give you the option of taking like $300-$500 off that price, but you get to keep the car. Go that route. Take the money, keep the car and fix it. Given your situation and the little amount of damage you could probably make a cool $1000 off it as well.
What is the turnaround for this transaction?
I would then have to find a new insurance company no?

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts
That is totally bogus advice. The car will have a salvage title, and will be worth about $2500 on a good day if you try to sell it again. I'd go to a different body shop and get another quote. Don't let the insurance company shit on you.

Quite frankly I'm amazed they wanted to total this car, its like $1000 damage max, yet they'd have to give you book value for the car if they totaled it, which would be $2000 miniumum if it had a ton of miles and was in mediocre condition.

Judging from the pics, it looks like you'd need a new bumper filler which would need paint, a new grill, a new headlight, a new piece of bumper trim, and the bumper realigned. Looks like you wouldn't need a new bumper and wouldn't need to paint the bumper/fender. Honestly you could probably make the repair yourself if you're somewhat handy. Looks like its just screwing in some new parts, maybe painting a bumper filler.

·
Registered
5,545 Posts
That is totally bogus advice. The car will have a salvage title, and will be worth about $2500 on a good day if you try to sell it again. I'd go to a different body shop and get another quote. Don't let the insurance company shit on you.
You don't sell the car, you drive it. If the insurance company gives you $3500 to total it but keep the car and you only have to pay for $2500 in repairs, you make a grand.

·
Registered
95 triple black fwb
890 Posts
That is totally bogus advice. The car will have a salvage title,

this is wrong!!:tisk:

they just totaled my 94 fltwd, offered me 3350 for it and I keep the car
I said no way and requested 4k, they countered with $3750 and keep the car
to which I agreed
and the important part!, They did nothing to my title!, and even told me there would be nothing attached to the title, or as they put it the title would remain "clean", since I will never sell my 94 it means little to me, in your case the pics show the car wasnt hit very hard,
you can realign that bumper with a few spacer washers, simple to do
you should replace those parts yourself, if you can change a spark plug
theres not much more there then turning a few nuts and bolts

and you should be able to keep the insurance company if you want to,
they cant send you on your way for an accident, thats what your paying for

its not as simple as them stamping your title as total loss, or salvage
I went through all this in September

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am handy enuff to make the necessary repairs and intend to do so...bar the realignment of the bumper (this prolly require special tools). Will have to make a decision regarding the bumper filler also.

Insurance company made a reasonable offer which I will accept, but they said they the car would be dropped to liability coverage.

·
Registered
95 triple black fwb
890 Posts
the bumper is very easy to get inline
the two options are 1-buy a bumper shock/mount (from me)
and bolt it in the bumper will be in alignment at that point
there are no fine adjustments, option two loosen the 4 mount bolts on that side
at which point the bumper will most likely return to its original position
then just get some spacer washers, install them so that when tightened
the bumper is on its mark , sooooo easy to do
I have replaced a pile of front bumpers this way, if its too much space to take up with spacers then you will need to go with the bumper shock

once your car is repaired, you should be able to get the extra coverage

·
Registered
5,545 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Fleetwood Brougham V4P
437 Posts
I think it varies from state to state - when they totalled my car kept the title the whole time and chose to retain it. Title is still clean - if the police wrote an accident report it shows up on carfax as having been in an accident if the pd is diligent about reporting though.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Satndard Insurance Co.

@TFG----What about the headlights, they would have to be aimed properly?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts