Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2013 ATS Performance 2.0T M6, 2016 Mustang GT Performance Pack, M6
6,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Due to a misunderstanding, my Ford dealer emptied the oil from my diff to see if there was metal in it. There wasn't but they noticed that if they turned one rear wheel while on a lift, the other wheel did not turn at all and concluded the diff must be bad. But in discussions, it was clear the tech or the service manager were not very familiar with Torsen diffs. And not knowing myself what a Torsen would do in that scenario I didn't speculate. But the more I think about it, I can't imagine any failure scenario that would not result in large chunks of metal and very rough operation. But there was no metal in the oil and when I personally verified just the one wheel turned it turned very freely with no noise.

A Torsen is nothing but some shafts and constantly messing gears. I know how it operates when the car is in motion with both wheels on the road, but not sure what would be considered normal with the car on a lift and one wheel being turned by hand. I didn't watch to see if the driveshaft turned but assume the car was not in gear when they and I turned the wheel and so probably was turning.

Any Torsen experts or any Torsen owners who have turned one rear wheel with both off the ground want to comment on what should happen?

I wouldn't want a perfectly good diff replaced even if it is free under warranty.

·
Super Moderator
6,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Nothing there that got thru my thick skull regarding my scenario.

But numerous other Performance Package Mustang owners and GT350 owners have confirmed that theirs do the same as mine. The dealer says they are waiting for Ford to give input on replacement so hope Ford will tell them all is well. This sort of thing is why I avoid taking a car to the dealer for anything. Maybe it's good the tech didn't know the car comes from the factory with line lock or would have been tempted to use that to test his theory that the diff was bad. LoL

·
Super Moderator
6,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dealer called. Diff is fine. Off to get it out of there.

·
Registered
Alexandra - 96 SDV Clyde - 15 Silvy
6,440 Posts
Thank you for sharing HoosierDaddy, I had not heard of these previously. More knowledge to my arsenal!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts