Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
CTS-V
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All:

Bought a cordless impact wrench yesterday (Dewalt - 300 pounds foot) to spin off and install lug nuts when installing track tires.

Can someone explain to me how those colored torque sticks you see at tire places work? These are the color coded attachments they put on an impact wrench so it properly torques a lug nut. The various colors indicate the torque. I'm sure there's science behind them, but I can't figure it out.

Found a place (www.torquestick.com) that sells them in various lug sizes and torque ratings. I figured a 19MM with a 100 Lb Ft rating would save me the trouble of having to set the lugs with a torque wrench.

Any experience or thoughts with said torque sticks!

Feff
www.MVPTrackTime.com

· Registered
CTS-V
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They have a certain elasticity and flex that allows them to flex in sync with the blows of the Impact wrench once a certain amount of torque is reached. The flexing at its torque limit prevents the stick from exerting any more force on the nut and overtightening it.
Tony:

So are these torque-sticks accurate enough to apply lug nuts without worrying about a check or finish with the trusty torque wrench?

Feff

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.