Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006 DTS Performance Level 2006 CTS
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, I am renting the base model 2007 DTS while my 2006 Perf Level is in the body shop.

The rental seems to have excessive torque steer when under full throttle. I am curious if that is just an anomoly for this particular car of if something such as gear ratios or suspension options make the diff. For that matter, can this be a caster issue since it really tends to follow road contours such as a hump formed by a crossroad when under full throttle.

The torque steering is about what I used to experiene on my 1997 Eldo ETC.

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
Just curious, I am renting the base model 2007 DTS while my 2006 Perf Level is in the body shop.

The rental seems to have excessive torque steer when under full throttle. I am curious if that is just an anomoly for this particular car of if something such as gear ratios or suspension options make the diff. For that matter, can this be a caster issue since it really tends to follow road contours such as a hump formed by a crossroad when under full throttle.

The torque steering is about what I used to experiene on my 1997 Eldo ETC.

Mack,

I just drove a 2007 for 3 days while my '06 Performance Sedan was at the dealer. Put about 1300 miles on it.

I didn't notice much torque steer in it. ( I did crowd it a time or two. :) )I would suspect that something is slightly off in either the castor or camber. Another thought, have you checked the front tire pressure? That makes a BIG difference in driving on my '06. The '07 I drove had 31 psi in all tires. I keep 34 front and 32 rear in my '06. Also remember the sidewall is a lot taller on the regular Cadillac, which will make a big difference in how it responds to road grooves or slopes.

What I did notice was a lot softer ride and a little bit of float out on the highway with the '07. It did not handle or hold the road NEAR as well as the Performance Sedans do but did have a nicer smoother ride.

I am glad I have the Performance model. I will take better handling over a little better ride any day. :) My '06 seems to be a lot more PLANTED and SOLID on the road than the '07.

With the '06 Performance Sedan, you can DRIVE it down the road. With the regular '07, it seems like you are just along for the ride. Which I will say, by the way, is a very GOOD ride. :)

Jim from Texas

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S GT Hatchback 2013 Kia Optima SXL
2,817 Posts
Torque steer in our Caddy's is directly related to tire selection. My '02 Seville has excessive torque steer with the current Continental tires it wears (same tire on the base model you rented). Previous tires (Kumho and Good Year) had much less torque steer. All front drive vehicles suffer from it. But tires can make it feel terrible, or very liveable.

Don

·
Registered
2011 DTS Platinum
4,633 Posts
Torque steer in our Caddy's is directly related to tire selection. My '02 Seville has excessive torque steer with the current Continental tires it wears (same tire on the base model you rented). Previous tires (Kumho and Good Year) had much less torque steer. All front drive vehicles suffer from it. But tires can make it feel terrible, or very liveable.

Don
Now that you mention tires, the '07 I was driving had Michelin tires. That might make a big difference between the one I drove and the one Mack drove.

As an afterthought, my '06 has Bridgestone 255 x 50 x 18's on it. It has a little bit of torque steer if you turn off traction control and get wheelspin when taking off. In fact it can get plumb squirrley with you but you have to be REALLY into it for it to do that. :) But it is fun sometimes.

Jim

·
Registered
2006 DTS Performance Level 2006 CTS
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks SuperJim and Dadillac

SuperJim I feel exactly the same concerning the ride. The rental sure is a floater and is very comfortable. I just dont want to get into a situation where handling is import with it.

Dadallic, bingo on the tire pressure. I normally run 34 also and this puppy is 30.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts