Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
08 Cadillac CTS
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be getting some new wheels shortly and just wanted to know if anyone had the torque setting for the wheel lug nuts for the 08 CTS? I don't have a shop manual and have no idea.

Cheers

·
Registered
Cadillac CT6 (2019)
2,292 Posts
I doubt that the CTS would vary much from most of the other GM cars, (i.e., other Cadillacs, Chevrolets, Buicks, etc.), so you looking at 100 lb/ft. Remember to torque with alternating lug nuts, meaning for a five lug set to torque 1,3,5,2,4.

·
Registered
08 White Diamond CTS DI RWD FE2 all options
2,541 Posts
100 seems high. I thought it would be closer to 70 - 80.
Does anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
08 Cadillac CTS
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't have the owner's manual (yet) because I pick the car up in July when I arrive back home from overseas. Thanks for the help.

Cheers

·
Registered
656 Posts
I thought it important enough to give this subject it' own thread. It could be a safety issue.

In another thread, a question arose as to wheel lug nut torque. 2008 and 2009 owners manuals give different specs. 2008=100 lb ft, 2009=140 lb ft. I decided to call a service tech at Bob Moore Cadillac in OKC. He took the time to look it up for me. Cadillac went to a larger lug nut for the 2009 CTS.

So, our owners manuals are correct for both. 2008 CTS torque=100 lb ft
2009 CTS torque=140 lb ft

The ref. for both is on page 5-128 under specifications.

·
Registered
2008 Black/Ebony CTS-4, Other(s): 2009 Wicked Solstice
748 Posts
Thank you for first catching the discrepancy and then following up. good job.
I would not have guessed a change like this took place, unless it has something to do with production of the V model and using common components.
rg

·
Registered
'09 1SB - Crystal Red w/Light Titanium
268 Posts
Wheel Torque changed for 2009 ... to 140 ft/lbs!!!

I just had the TSB for squeaking brakes performed on our CTS. Got the car home and proceeded to reinstall my McGard wheel locks. It took more force than I expected to remove the lug nut, so I checked all the others using my torque wrench. Starting at 100 ft/lbs, I increased the force by 10 ft/lbs until the lug nut broke loose. Can you believe it took between 140 and 150 ft/lbs of force to finally break them loose?!

I complained to my service tech about this excessive force and actually accused them of just using their "rattle" gun and no torque wrench. Well ... he set me straight on the subject and showed me that on page 5-134 of the 2009 CTS Owner's Manual, it states that 140 ft/lbs is to be used for torquing the wheels on our CTS! :holycrap:

I've never seen such a high torque requirement for passenger car wheels before. WHY such an ungodly amount of force?

If there are any techs out there with more info, I'd like to know why such an increase from the '08 model of 100 ft/lbs to the '09's requirement of 140 ft/lbs. That just seems excessive to me.

·
Registered
2011 CTS CPE
201 Posts
They may have increase the bolt size from 12 *1.5 to 14*1.5. Same torque (140) as required on the 2010 & 2011 Camaros with the same bolt size.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yup ... Larger studs

They may have increase the bolt size from 12 *1.5 to 14*1.5. Same torque (140) as required on the 2010 & 2011 Camaros with the same bolt size.
You're right, zen ... Just got the following reply from my service tech:
"New lug nut studs are larger than previous models. They are the same as the Escalades. 14 mm I believe."
FYI

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
Torque is based on the size and pitch of the fasteners.
The new CTS uses a larger lug stud and nut than previous models.
The older cars are 100 lb. ft. with the smaller lug studs.
The new CTS ('08 and up) are 140 lb. ft.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Is 2008 CTS manual in error?

Torque is based on the size and pitch of the fasteners.
The new CTS uses a larger lug stud and nut than previous models.
The older cars are 100 lb. ft. with the smaller lug studs.
The new CTS ('08 and up) are 140 lb. ft.
ewill3rd - Are you saying that the 100 lb ft on page 5-128 of the 2008 CTS Owner's Manual is incorrect? OR ... did CTS still use the 12mm lug stud for 2008? If so, using 140 lb ft is incorrect for the 2008 CTS.

Go HERE for the manual.

·
Registered
Cadillac CT6 (2019)
2,292 Posts
100 lb/ft equals 140 N.m (Newton meters; I believe); could this be the area of confusion?

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
If the lugs are the larger ones, I think 21mm, then the torque is 140 lb. ft. or 190 Nm according to the FSM.
Owner's manuals sometimes contain confusing information on first year model changeovers. Often they carry over information that someone forgot to check.
If the nuts are 19mm then it is 100 lb. ft., if they are 21mm then they are 140 lb. ft.
Crazy but true, no confusion.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts