Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do our beloved LT1's have the GM imfamous Torque Management where the PCM yanks back timing during gear shifts and other odd times?

·
Registered
94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)
3,730 Posts
Shouldn't be, I thought TM came in in around '97, '98, with the Vortec engines in the Pickups. Gradually got more and more each year until were where we're at now with the current line of pickups, have you checked out the thread about this at FSC? It's in modifications.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Vortec V8's started with the 96 run and all were OBDII. Maybe that is why my 96 Burb 255 hp V8 runs so differently than my 94 260 hp LT1, both with same overall effective gearing.

According to http://auto.consumerguide.com/Auto/Used/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/2170/Act/usedcarreviewspecs/ the curb weight of the Burb is 4600#, and the Cad is 4400# lbs. Very different driving. Brian at pcmforless says there is a lot of timing pulled out of the 96 Suburban PCM. It has a lot of gains in power with a tune. I am looking to do both soon....

Just not sure if pulling the TM is safe or not. I don't want to comprimise reliability, but then again, I like good tire chirping shifts!!

·
Registered
94 FWB, 93 SDV, 94 FWB (sold), 90 Brougham (sold)
3,730 Posts
Well, from what I've learned from FSC, torque management is there to keep GM from doing warrantied repairs. Alot of the guys are pulling 100% of their engine torque management and 50% of their trans management from what I've read. I mean, vehicles before torque management did just fine on reliability, my guess is that vehicles with it removed probably would too.

·
Registered
94 Fleetwood Brougham
7,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know the N*'s have it, but not sure how much. You can see it on a chassis dyno for sure.

Anything with a turbo likely needs it to keep from blasting the trans in shifts (think of it this way, the turbo is making boost for 6000 rpm, then you shift, the turbo is still making boost for 6000 rpm! And you just forced the engine to 4000 rpm.... WWWWWHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!)

Probably explains why my 96 Burb is so different in manners than my LT1. Similar everything, TM vs no TM.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts