Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2011 GTR
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a higher stall torqu converter in their auto? If so,what is brand and stall speed and results? If not, curious what a good stall speed would be for one. These are usually good for about .3 in the quarter mile.

Any info would be great,
Mark

·
Registered
2018 CT6E, old: 2014 XTS Vsport, 2005 CTS-V, 2004 CTS-V.
2,717 Posts
Eek!! Usually don't put loose trq converters on tow vehicles! :) 4600-4800 lbs with fuel, passengers, and cargo might not yield your gains.

Norm

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't think a higher stall converter is going to do much for you in a V.

Traction seems to be the biggest problem for me.

A loose converter would only make this worse, so unless you are running slicks, you will probably just sit and spin.

Mike C

·
Registered
2011 GTR
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Eek!! Usually don't put loose trq converters on tow vehicles! :) 4600-4800 lbs with fuel, passengers, and cargo might not yield your gains.

Norm
Can you please elaborate...
I was thinking of a 3000 stall converter (maybe 2800) and a set of 3.73 gears would give it some launch. Obviously I still want daily drivability, so that is a huge concern.

thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V
3,570 Posts
I was thinking of a 3000 stall converter (maybe 2800) and a set of 3.73 gears would give it some launch. Obviously I still want daily drivability, so that is a huge concern.

thanks,
Mark
That wouldn't make much sense to me. High stall converters seem to make sense when you're dealing with a motor that generates torque higher in the RPM food-chain. The LSA doesn't seem to fit that bill, as it generates so much torque down low, it would seem that you're literally "losing"/wasting power that would otherwise be available.

And you can add me to the list of people that believes it would be significantly harder to launch, as you'd be dumping so much torque to the rear wheels, they would probably have a hard time getting traction

·
Registered
2018 CT6E, old: 2014 XTS Vsport, 2005 CTS-V, 2004 CTS-V.
2,717 Posts
A loose or higher stall will slip creating heat. That's why tow vehicles have tighter converters. Might want to search on GM.com powertrain section for converter diameters and take it to and expert along with weight and power putout.

Norm

thanks,
Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts