Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Deville
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 2004 Deville the engine check light occasionally comes on. The fault code coming up is PO741 something about a torque converter solenoid problem which is either stuck or off. What do I do to fix this fault or do I need to worry about it.

·
Registered
2002 DTS, 70 Cougar conv, 2020 XT4
835 Posts
Re: torque converter

If you only have P0741, and not P1860, it is leaking seals on Torque Converter Clutch (TCC). See this GM TSB on the problem:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/149834-information-p0741-p1860-1998-a.html

Many members go for years without fixing this because it is expensive (~$1,500 at a good indie shop, ~$2,500 at a dealer) because the transmission has to come out. Only penalty for not fixing is slightly reduced highway mileage, maybe 1 mpg. But if you have to pass emission tests where you live, you'll have to get it fixed, as it is considered an emissions failure.

You say it only comes on occasionally. It will probably get worse with time. Also the test for it only runs when you go over 41 mph.

Edit: basscat typed faster than I did.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,783 Posts
On my 2004 Deville the engine check light occasionally comes on. The fault code coming up is PO741
:welcome: to the club

I'm beginning to think that is a standard feature on all 2000+ 4T80E transmissions. If you don't have it yet............ you will.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts