Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 deville
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 12s are toast. my current setup sounds great, but i should be getting much more punch from the trunk. the subs are old, and ive been wanting something else anyways.

i really dont feel like spending all that much, and to be honest id like to keep it under 200, preferably much lower.

ive got a jbl power series 600.1 amp

does anybody have experience with alpine speakers. a pair of type E's for 150 looks appetizing.

theres also a pair of dvc audiobahns for under 100 bucks. it sounds too good to be true, but the dvc makes me happy

·
Registered
150 Posts
chuckdobbins said:
my 12s are toast. my current setup sounds great, but i should be getting much more punch from the trunk. the subs are old, and ive been wanting something else anyways.

i really dont feel like spending all that much, and to be honest id like to keep it under 200, preferably much lower.

ive got a jbl power series 600.1 amp

does anybody have experience with alpine speakers. a pair of type E's for 150 looks appetizing.

theres also a pair of dvc audiobahns for under 100 bucks. it sounds too good to be true, but the dvc makes me happy
Why are you so interested in having DVC? The only reason for a DVC is so that you have more than one way to wire your subs, or if you intend to hook up one amp per voice coil (not recommended unless you know what you are doing. the gains will need to be perfectly aligned with a DMM. you would need to use the same amps, ideally if they have some sort of master/slave configuration. if it is off by even a little, expect to see something fry)

if your budget is like $200-250, a pair of alpine type r's can be found in that range, and would be a very good bet.

you might also want to look into maybe some RE subs, www.reaudio.com

What kind of air space and what kind of subwoofer enclosure are you working with?

between those two though, id go with the type E's. ive heard too many problems with reliability with audiobahn products.

·
Registered
97 deville
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i liked the DVC audiobahns cuz i could get it down to 2ohms rather than 4ohm on the SVC type E's

ive got a sealed enclosure 1.27 cubes in each chamber and some poly-fill
i have looked into resonant engineering, but quad coils? i wouldnt even know where to start. ill look into their entry level speakers, as well as check pricing on the type R's.

thanks for the input

·
Banned
1976 Eldorado project
1,631 Posts
I've heard some good things about the Alpine Type R subs psykiv mentioned. They are a good sub, especailly for the price.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
psykiv said:
Why are you so interested in having DVC? The only reason for a DVC is so that you have more than one way to wire your subs, or if you intend to hook up one amp per voice coil (not recommended unless you know what you are doing. the gains will need to be perfectly aligned with a DMM. you would need to use the same amps, ideally if they have some sort of master/slave configuration. if it is off by even a little, expect to see something fry)

if your budget is like $200-250, a pair of alpine type r's can be found in that range, and would be a very good bet.

you might also want to look into maybe some RE subs, www.reaudio.com

What kind of air space and what kind of subwoofer enclosure are you working with?

between those two though, id go with the type E's. ive heard too many problems with reliability with audiobahn products.
I agree.
IMO, audiobahn will give you big boom for the money, but not the same sound quality as the alpines (by far).

·
Registered
1999 STS, 2010 CTS Sport Wagon
329 Posts
Got one Infinity Kappa Perfect 12.1d in the stock hole in the rear parcel shelf running "free air". No loss of trunk space.

The low bass is so clean & pure I have to turn the bass way down to listen to rap, jazz, or blues so I can still use my rearview mirror. With a pipe organ, I'm concerned about my back window blowing out.:D:D

Best speaker dollars I ever spent.

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
You have $150 to spend on a driver?

10" or 12"?

I have a simple answer:

the 12" is $10 more, both will go just as low (as will the 15") but the 12" will go a little louder, and the 10" will be a little more accurate.

I had a crappy 325watt x 1 MTX amp powering a crappy 15" Rockford Fosgate, considering I bought it for $150, with the box, and a 1farad Monster capacitor (that I still have) and a wiring kit (I used parts of it) and a decent pair of Kenwood 2-way 4x6 (in the front of the '79) then I sold just the box/amp/driver for $250 to someone that loves it... I made out good.

It was a very boomy sub, got loud, but very very very muddy, towards the end of my quest for truely good sounding car audio, I ended up turning the sub off and just used the in cabin speakers for bass.

So when I built the new sub I went all out, I wanted it to be the best sub I could buy, since it would be the last for a long time. I wanted something that would hit hard, sound good and be clear.

That Titanic is an amazing driver, it is powered by a MA Audio 600watt x 1 amp (also bought from PE) and in a .85 cu. ft. box I got form circuit city.

it is the most hard hitting, while still being crystal clear, most tightest sub I have ever heard for a car..... my JBL L100's for the home have slightly tighter bass then that sub, but that is saying alot, because anyone familer with the L100's knows they are some truely amazing speakers, especially in the bass department.

people get in my car all the time and when I play the music, they are like, wow, thats some crazy subs you have, so I am like, subs? its just one, they are like, woha, is that like a 15 or something? I am like no way a 15 would get that tight, it is 1 10, they don't believe me until I pop the trunk and physically show them... it is a crazy sub.

the sub, and the whole system sound very good... there is still some fine tuning that needs to be done though as I am not happy with a couple things... but overall, it is amazing.

I would honestly get one of the Dayton drivers, they aren't mainstream, but just look at the thing, it is huge, and kicks some major ass.

Here it is, you can do a search for the other sizes too

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-414&ctab=1#Tabs

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have to vouch for Night wolf on this one, Dayton makes great woofers (titanic) those are the choice for a lot of DIY'ers. Great price, quality, and sound. Adire audio makes a virtually similar sub called the "Shiva" I've owned the 15" version named the "Tempest" I built a 4cu ft box for this single 15" and it really performed beyond my expectations. Just my 2 cents.

Dub

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
Southern DubVille said:
I have to vouch for Night wolf on this one, Dayton makes great woofers (titanic) those are the choice for a lot of DIY'ers. Great price, quality, and sound. Adire audio makes a virtually similar sub called the "Shiva" I've owned the 15" version named the "Tempest" I built a 4cu ft box for this single 15" and it really performed beyond my expectations. Just my 2 cents.

Dub
Wow, someone else heard of Dayton... cool :) the guys at PE said the Titanic is their most popular driver for DIY subs, but I have yet to see any one else use it.

I was going to make a nice custom box and stuff, but when I saw this box at Circuit City for $50, it was solid, and near exact perfect size, I coudln't pass it up, no way I could make something that good, and look that good for twice as much as I paid... only thing that had to be done to the box was to sand the opening for the driver a bit, as the Titanic was so big, it woudln't fit, then we put a bunch of Poly-fill from Wal Mart inside it, and called it good. Then I spent $30 on a fancy steel Audiobahn grille to protect the driver from getting damaged.

It is dark right now, but maybe I'll get some pictures :)

·
Registered
1997 Seville STS, Black
147 Posts
If you want some good subs with alot of punch, try a pair of Autotek SS 12's. Nto very common but I heard about em through a friend, theyre supposed to be rated at 500W rms. I got one and it pumped fine on 350w. The guy who recommended it to me claimed to have run over 700W in his with no trouble at all, so they're pretty tough. You can get em at thezeb.com last time I checked for about 60 bucks a peice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts