Cadillac Owners Forum banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Angela Desmond said:
If it's running in a month, it will still be up before mine...Funny how a lack of funds slow these projects down :crying2:
Yep....the money train came and went but didn't leave nearly enough for me. Guess I'll just have to wait for the next one. ;)

·
Registered
201 Posts
At least it stops at your station...Actually I shouldn't complain, my husband helps me out with the cost of the motor and Santa is bringing me a bunch of stuff from MTS :bouncy: speaking of the size of those 425 ports, I ported mine myself using as much knowledge as I could find on porting and the Caddy ports in particular and a touch of common sense, but I know I'll be going in there again when the Edelbrock dual-plane comes, to match the ports to the intake runners.That rubbery mold material sold under the name " Blu-Sil" is a very helpful tool in measuring port sizes as you go along.

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Ok.....back to my motor build.
Some have asked how much all this was going to cost.......I finally did a little figuring.
The cam kit (cam, valve springs, retainers, valve locks and valve stem seals), shaft rocker set-up, stainless bolt kit, Edelbrock intake and a few other odds and ends were purchased from MTS. The total for that stuff was right around $1000.
I had some things done at the machine shop that weren't really necessary but I had them done anyhow. Those little things added to the cost quite a bit.
Total cost for parts, machine work and labor from the machine shop was right around $3500.
So the total (so far) is around $4500.
Now I've decided to have JWalker complete the port work on the heads. That'll add to the cost but will open the heads up and give me quite a bit more power.
Next on the list (besides the port work) are header flanges, headers, a carb rebuild, tranny build and.....whatever else I can find to spend money on. :bonkers:
:burn: :coolgleam

·
Registered
359 Posts
hey guys,
i've been checking out the board for a while now and finally decided to register, as there appears to be some very knowledgable and experienced people on here. i have a '75 500 i'm planning on building once the year rolls around, not sure of the chassis yet but i've already purchased the edelbrock manifold and a set of 76cc heads to workover.
lux, what are the specs for the cam you decided to use? how high do you plan on spinning it?

Brett,

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
EGLuder said:
hey guys,
i've been checking out the board for a while now and finally decided to register, as there appears to be some very knowledgable and experienced people on here. i have a '75 500 i'm planning on building once the year rolls around, not sure of the chassis yet but i've already purchased the edelbrock manifold and a set of 76cc heads to workover.
lux, what are the specs for the cam you decided to use? how high do you plan on spinning it?

Brett,
Hey Brett!!
The motor will probably not spin any faster than 4500 rpm's. That may even be a little extreme. It'll probably be out of power by the time it hits 4500.
As far as the cam specs.....
intake:284* .519
exhaust:296* .519
If you're interested, I can put you in touch with someone that's supposed to have some pretty good cam grinds.

·
Registered
359 Posts
lux hauler said:
Hey Brett!!
The motor will probably not spin any faster than 4500 rpm's. That may even be a little extreme. It'll probably be out of power by the time it hits 4500.
As far as the cam specs.....
intake:284* .519
exhaust:296* .519
If you're interested, I can put you in touch with someone that's supposed to have some pretty good cam grinds.
i appreciate the offer, i'll have to get in touch with you when i get ready to order. one thing i've discovered is that coincidentally jerry potters shop is also here in Chattanooga. i've been reading on the MTS forum for a while and i've heard a lot of good things about him and his work with the 500/472s.
would you happen to know the quench distance with the head and piston setup you're using?

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
EGLuder said:
i appreciate the offer, i'll have to get in touch with you when i get ready to order. one thing i've discovered is that coincidentally jerry potters shop is also here in Chattanooga. i've been reading on the MTS forum for a while and i've heard a lot of good things about him and his work with the 500/472s.
would you happen to know the quench distance with the head and piston setup you're using?
No, I sure don't.

The engine is back in the machine shop. There is a little problem with the way the pistons are setting in the holes. :annoyed: I'll have an update on that as soon as they tell me what they plan to do to fix it.

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Angela Desmond said:
Just curious Lux, what's the fit problem with the pistons? And what kind of pistons are you using?
The pistons are KB hyperutectics.
The pistons are setting crooked in the holes. If you are looking at the passenger-side bank of cylinders, at around the 4 o'clock position on each piston, the piston is below the deck. Go directly accross the piston, to the 10 o'clock position and the piston is above the deck. The drivers-side bank appears to be much more normal......zero decked.
There is no 'official' cause as of yet......they haven't looked at it. As far as what I think the problem is.....? I believe they cross-bored the cylinders. Somehow, they didn't get the block set in the machine properly. :banghead: Needless to say, I'm not very happy about it. If, in fact, that is the problem, the block is trash and they'll have to prep another one for me.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Think I'll go downstairs first thing tommorrow morning and take a close look at mine! I've had enough problems so far with Ross Pistons forgeting to leave a notch for the sparkplugs, and the machine shop putting the crank gear on the 4 degree retarded keyway and me thinking they had it straight up.That kept me busy for days wondering why the cam was retarded. When I realized what they did, :cookoo:, I felt retarded!

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Well.....it seems that it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. The rods on that side of the motor hadn't been checked for straightness. The rods were straightened and reinstalled......now everything looks good.

·
Registered
201 Posts
How's that for a near heart attack!! All's well that ends well. :littlewes I missed what you said you're using for rods.Did you go with the originals and have them re-conned?You're gonna have a sweet engine when this is all done

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Angela Desmond said:
How's that for a near heart attack!! All's well that ends well. :littlewes I missed what you said you're using for rods.Did you go with the originals and have them re-conned?You're gonna have a sweet engine when this is all done
Yeah......I'm using the stock rods but I wish I had gone with the Olds rods.
When this build started, it was going to be a basic re-build with a few improvements.......a mild cam, a bump in compression etc.. That's why I used the originals. By the time I started thinking about the Olds rods, everything had already been balanced and I would have had to pay for that all over again.:eek:

·
Registered
201 Posts
I used the Olds rods 'cause my originals had 200K and a re-con on them already. Plus if I want to do more HP in the future I knew I'd have a rod that could take it.I see what you mean about all that work to re-do. What a nightmare...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hello,
My name is Terry. I have my hands on a 1973 500 in a Deville. The motor has been sitting for 4 years. About 2 months ago I filled each each cyl with Marvel Myst Oil. Its sitting out in my friends backyard. It use to run beatiful. I actualy was with him when he picked the car up. He started to pull the motor and he had the torch warmed up the exhaust bolts and snapped one of them on accident drove it for a bit parked it and its been sitting ever since.
Its mine and all I have to do is pull it with tran. I have a 77 Ford LTD and I can trade this boat with a 302 for a 91 sanoma. I use to have a 87 s-10 with a 350 4bolt mane,350T, Super comp Hooker headers, lopey cam, 650 Edelbrock carb, Weiland intake, Dual 3 inch exhaust, 2 John Deere Tractor mufflers, blazer GT4 (GM CODE)(3.73) rear end, B&M floor shifter. Dont have the truck no more. So since then I wanted to put a big block in one. So when I got the internet I started looking for stuff like that and got lucky. I contacted one person who is in college whose done it and is going to tell me every thing. He said it is easy and its not hard like it seams it would be. Heres the link just copy and paste it in your browser.

http://community.webshots.com/user/my454s10

How do I know if its the 400 horse motor or the 365 horse? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Lux hauler,
What is the biggest cam grind for my stock 500 heads? Just so the instalation goes easy . Im going to go start that caddy block when the snow melts. The first thing Im going to do is turn the block by hand just in case its seized. I dont think it is . The hood been down the whole time but Ill find out if the marvem oil is real. Farmers use the stuff all the time to unseize their tractors.

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
If the motor in that car is the factory motor, it's not a 500, it's a 472. Not that that's a problem......the 472 is a great motor too. Devilles didn't get the 500 until 1975.
As far as the cam goes.....talk to JWalker about that. I understand that he has some really good cam grinds and can tell you what you need to work with your combination.

·
Registered
62 Posts
The sticker actualy says 501. Does that matter? Maybe I got the year wrong? The cam I want to work with needs to use the stock heads to the max.I dont want a dragster. Even though it prob will be fast all stock.

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
I got the heads back from JWalker......they look good. I dropped them off at the machine shop. Now I just have to wait for them to get everything put back together.

I'm gunna stop at the shop tomorrow. If the heads aren't on the motor, I'll get a few pictures of the cleaned up ports.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts