Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided it was time to get the ball rollin'.
I wanted to go with the KB pistons but with the 76cc heads, the motor would have been at 10:1......a little more than I wanted. The shop has a set of "552" heads which are 120cc heads. Those heads and a set of KB pistons should put my compression at around 9:1. I like the sound of that a lot more.
It'll be, pretty much, a stock build with exception of the pistons and the MTS MT-10 cam (which I ordered today).
Puts me one step closer to making lotsa noise and thick white tire smoke.
:burn:

·
Banned
23 Posts
Get bigger intake valves and inexpensive bowl work and it will be the best performance mod you make. Except maybe rear gears better than the cam and intake which are good mods.

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"Extra" head work isn't in the budget right now.....maybe in a year or so.
I talked to Al and told him what I was going to be doing with the truck and that is what he recommended. We'll see how it runs when I get it back and in the truck.
:burn: :spin: :thumbsup:

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update:
It's been a while since I posted any info on the build......thought I'd give y'all the latest.

A few things have changed in the 500 build.

First.....there was a mix-up with my cam. They sent the VT10 instead of the MT10 I ordered. Al (at MTS) offered to fix the problem and send the correct cam out the next day. I asked him what the difference was between the two. He told me and I decided to keep the VT10. The VT10 is an Erson cam and the MT10 is a Comp cam. The MT10 has a high lift, short duration. The VT10 has a longer duration and less lift. He said they both do the same thing, they just have different ways of doing it.

The block was bored .060 over and decked (not sure how much) and the crank ground .010.

I had them tap the oil galleys at both ends of the block and also in the lifter valley for threaded plugs (per the "Big Inch" book).

The block was drilled and tapped (just under the thermostat) for a heater hose fitting. Now I don't have to worry about clearance issues with the original fitting at the rear of the right head.

I went to the machine shop today. The short block is finished. Now they have to do the heads.

I DID decide to have a little porting done and bigger valves installed. I figured the cost will be minimal concidering what the total build was going to cost.

Friday I ordered the shaft rocker set-up, Edelbrock intake, Pertronix distributor conversion/coil, MSD 8.5mm plug wires and a few other odds and ends.

That's where it stands now. Hopefully I'll have it back in the next few weeks (the machine shop doesn't work very fast :rolleyes: ).

·
Registered
04 CTSV 500rwhp, 96 FTS-V T56 previously, 95 T56 Impala SS
433 Posts
Are you taking pictures along the way? I'd also be really curious to know about how much money the rebuild cost you, if you don't mind adding it up. ;) I know that hurts a bit sometimes! :D

Thanks for the updates! Looking forward to you getting it in your truck! :)

·
Banned
1995 ETC, 75 Deville, Cad500 powered 73 Apollo, 94 Mark VIII
7,971 Posts
toomanytoyz said:
Are you taking pictures along the way? I'd also be really curious to know about how much money the rebuild cost you, if you don't mind adding it up. ;) I know that hurts a bit sometimes! :D

Thanks for the updates! Looking forward to you getting it in your truck! :)
Yeah how much is this costin ya Mr. Hicks?

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't even think about getting pictures of the build until yesterday. When I got to the machine shop, I found that the short block was already done. He's been taking his sweet time getting everything done but he gets busy when I decide I want pictures. Oh well......I should have thought of it sooner.
I've gotta go back to take them the shaft rockers when they come in. I'll take my camera with me and get some pics.
As for the cost......I'll let you know when it's all done. Just in the bottom end (not including the drilling and tapping) I've got almost $2200.:eek:

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got a few pictures of the short block today. The picture of the top of the motor didn't turn out to well. The motor was on a stand and I didn't want to try to turn it over so I just stuck the camera under the motor to take the pic.
Nothing has been done to the heads......so I didn't take any pictures of them.

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
lux hauler said:
(per the "Big Inch" book).
What's that book called and more important, where can I get a copy? MTS? I'd email Al and ask but I can't remember what its called.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Valve size

davesdeville said:
What's that book called and more important, where can I get a copy? MTS? I'd email Al and ask but I can't remember what its called.
So what valve size are you going with for your lower compression engine ?

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Valve size

JWalker said:
So what valve size are you going with for your lower compression engine ?
To be honest......I don't know the exact size. Bigger than stock is all I know.
I'll have to ask the next time I talk to him.
How big are the stock valves?

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
davesdeville said:
Uh lux? *raises hand*

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
davesdeville said:
Uh lux? *raises hand*
Sorry......I meant to reply to this but forgot. :eek:
The book is called Big Inch Cadillac and it's written by Doc Frohmader.
Yes, MTS sells it. I believe it's $22.95....plus shipping (tax).

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
davesdeville said:
Thanks. Think it's worth it to get it?
I think so.
It covers the build up of a stroker motor, primarily but there's lots of other good info too. It has a section in the back that tells (what he thinks) is the proper way to re-build a Q-Jet. I say "what he thinks" because I know nothing about re-building one and can't refute anything he says.
Over-all, I think it's a good book.
Just for the record.....I'm not trying to squeeze every last ounce of power out of this motor.......although I might try that with the next one. I was just looking to build a well rounded street motor. This is, after all, going in a heavy, non aerodynamic, light assed (read: traction impaired....even though it does have limited slip) Chevy truck. I'm sure there is more power in this motor than the stock suspension could ever put to the street.
I am building this particular motor for 1) the awesome amounts of torque they make, and 2) to be different from everyone else. I could have built the 350 that was in the truck but that's what everyone else does. That would have also saved me LOTS of money but I would have had a motor just like the ones that are in most of the street rods on the street. I have nothing against Chevy motors.....or any others. I just wanted something different.
I asked Al Betker (MTS owner) what his estimate was for power out of this motor. He said that the way it's set up, horsepower should be around 425 and torque around 575. Not too shabby for a MILD motor that most people think are good for nothing but a boat anchor. :cool:

·
Banned
23 Posts
Lux

Good to see you are making progress. Wow 60 over that would be a 514. At a bore of 4.360 that will easily unshroud, or flow some 2.19 intake valves. Even just a bowl blend to match the valves will go a long way and be money well spent. JWalker could give you excellent advice with regards to what to tell your head porter/machine shop about the heads and valves. Better than what is in that book and I am not knocking the book. Like it or not your shop is likely without telling you using your parts to experiment on as they probably don't have hands on experience with performance Cads. I am not commiting Mr Walker to share his time and experience only saying he is in the no. ;)

At this level headers which I believe you can buy ready made for your motor and truck would also be money well spent. I say this with full understanding of the fact that your goals are moderate performance. And that Christmas is coming. ;) You would get a good performance return for your dollar. Torque horsepower and mileage as it is now by far the biggest cork in your system.

JWalker if you read this and have the time I would love to hear about your build up of the Bu er Boo. And where other than Al's board do you talk online about big Cads and racing?

PS For the guy who asked. Starting with nothing and including everything but the value of my time. All parts, machine work, balancing, porting, core, misc. Comparing part for part to the Chev crate 502ci 502hp delux assembly which sells for $7,000 I have $3,512 in mine. I have 509ci expect to make 509hp & 575tq. I know it will not dyno exact but neither would the 502.

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
Well even though I won't have any money for awhile, I'm still planning on what I'm going to do to my 500. I might just get that book to see what Doc Frohmader has done. If anyone else has 500 info or specs on a 500 build up, I need it.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts