Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I regularly run in the Summit ET Series at Atlanta Dragway. My regular racer, a TBird Super Coupe, is down with a transmission problem so instead of racing my 2nd car, my former daily driver TBird, I ran the CTS. I thought it would be a little quicker than my old daily driver which will run 14.6-14.8's but it had a best of a 15.243. It was a must to run the traction control. I tried it w/o 1st but smoked the right side tire for 200' before I could get it to hook up and ran a 17.6. With the traction control on it would chirp a couple of times off the line and hook right up. The temps were in the mid 80s but it was prethunderstorm and very humid with a density altitude of 2900' with an actual elevation of 1100'. The sport shift mode was only .05 sec quicker than the normal shift mode which surprised me. I ran a 15.33, 15.34, 15.27, and the 15.24. By chance I ended up against the points leader on both of my 1st 2 eliminations. Believe it or not he drives a Hyundi! Well, I wasn't about to let a stinkin' Hyundi beat a Cadillac, especially my Cadillac and I took him out both times. In the 1st race he got me on the tree by about .075 sec but I caught him on the track, passed him, and then backed out a tad to keep from breaking out on my 15.31 dial and ran a 15.34. In the 2nd race I think he was a little intimidated after losing to my beautiful CTS and red lighted badly with a -.079 reaction time. That clinched a win and I ran it out hard and got my best time of the day. I actually broke out but his red light gave me an automatic win. I lost in the next round against a Crown Vic's .011 reaction time to my .081 but again I was closer on my dial. My lights were all a bit slow today. I'm used to a 400hp SuperCoupe w/ slicks that gets off the line much quicker so I'd have to adjust if I were to run the CTS more often. My 60' times were all in the 2.2-2.3 sec range not counting the botched 1st time trial. Drag radials and good air should get it into the high 14's.

Attachments

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
some suprising info there. musta been fun, :thumbsup:

howd the crowd react to the caddy

·
Registered
2004 Customized black on tan 3.6L CTS
5,147 Posts
WOOT! Another addict! LOL!!! I love rcing my CTS now. I should be at 14.6 my next time out.

nice time! Im drunk. LOL!!!

·
Registered
1970 Eldorado.
4,023 Posts
Mike, do you have an automatic? And how do you launch? How far do you rev on the power brake when you launch when you have an automatic?
Or how far do you rev before you released the clutch? Do you let the clutch gradually slip for a moment, or do you slam it into gear?

·
Registered
Cadillac
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My CTS is an automatic but my Super Coupe is a 5 speed and the techniques for launching them are totally different. Having very little experience with the CTS I didn't load up the torque converter as much as I could have. It stalls at around 1500 rpm but I only launched at around 1000. I waited until the lights started to run before I brought up the rpm and then launched on the 3rd yellow as usual. More rpm at launch will drop the reaction times a little as will deep staging. The street tires, Continentals, just won't hook w/o the traction control. I thought I could ease down on it and launch w/o spinning but adrenalin made me do otherwise. One of the guys I pit with runs a Vette so I compared notes with him about the traction control and he has to run with it on also. With the Super Coupe and 5 speed I idle it up to 2000 rpm and come off the clutch just hard enough to get the car moving but don't give it anymore gas until I'm moving and then floor it. Dumping the clutch while stomping the gas pedal will give you nothing but tire spin. Resist the urge! Get the car moving before flooring it. The less tire spin you have the quicker your ET will be and don't do burnouts on street tires. It doesn't help. It may not be possible to increase the idle rpm on a CTS. With the Super Coupe the EEC wants to pull the idle down to 900 but I force it up with the throttle body to 2000. This is a built 3.8L Super Coupe and can run 12.7's-12.8's in the 1/4 mi and 8.1-8.4's in the 1/8th but our sportsman class has a 13.00 minimum. I run Mickey Thompson ET Streets on it but the bolt pattern of TBird wheels is a 5x109mm and won't fit the Caddy. Mickey Thompson Drag Radials is the way to go if you're going to drag race a CTS automatic or ET Streets with a manual tranny. Running these tires makes all the difference in the world.
We didn't have a big crowd but the CTS did get a lot of attention. Mostly, it was because I was driving it. I'm known as a die hard blue bleeding Ford man.:worship: Even my brother e-mailed me back to ask if the Earth had stopped spinning on it's axis!:D Needless to say I was the only Caddy there. People just loved the CTS and I got quite a few compliments on it. When I bought it the sales manager told me it out sells everything else he sells combined.

·
Registered
2004 CTS 3.6L
2,493 Posts
How in the world did you spin the tires for 200 feet? I found the best combo for me was not to go through the water box, sport mode on, trac off, rev to about 2600 rpm, let off the brake and hit the gas. That will put you in the 14's...barely.

Glad you had fun though. And that SC sounds cool!

·
Registered
> BMUU
14,388 Posts
it out sells everything else he sells combined.
=/ i know ... i saw 4 or 5 of them in the mall parking lot yesterday :eek: =/

:banghead:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts