Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport Black/Black
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took it to the road race track

Last weekend, the Lone Star Region PCA had a reunion event for all previous instructors at Texas World Speedway (TWS).
TWS is my "mother track" as I've been driving there since 1971 and its where I have more laps than anywhere (and I've driven all over the US & Canada).

So, I took the Trifecta-ed CTS Vsport out and beat on it for a bit on a real race track under open track conditions.
Settings were "track mode" and I left the nannies on.

Comments:
- The Pirellis are less than adequate and generate all kinds of goofy slip angles while giving little grip. They do squeal a lot.
- The shock settings, while firm for the street, really allow a bit more chassis roll than I would prefer, but it was consistent and manageable.
- There is more understeer than I like. I've mentioned this before and would like to find a stiffer rear sway bar. (hint-hint Hotchkis)
- There is adequate power from engine. I saw right at 150 into turn 1 and that was limited by the lack of grip coming onto the long TWS straight. I was also going VERY fast into what should be the uphill flat-out Turn 7 but I did not trust the car to stay on the track through there and had to dab the brakes to get enough front grip.
- There is not enough brakes to seriously track this car. Not surprising really, but while they didn't fade I think that was because I didn't abuse them as much as I like. This could be fixed with pads, maybe because initial bite was weak. But put aggressive pads in and heat build up and you will go down that slippery slope.
- The intercooler cannot keep up on the track as performance dropped as the session went on.

So, I had fun.
I've beat the snot out of the car and lived to tell about it.
It's not bad at all for a two-ton luxury car and is plenty fast for a daily driver.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool.

Now. One road racer to another... I promise I won't tell anyone. :) Lap times?
LOL, hell I have no idea, but I would guess it around/over 2:10.
The Pirellis would not grip at all but made tortured squealing sounds.
My two previous track cars ran easy 1:50s all day long and I'm basing my guess on that.

The entire event was about having fun and staying out of each other's way.

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V M6 and 2013 ATS 3.6L Premium
64 Posts
Not surprised, what I would expect out of a stock vsport when under that abuse. Any videos?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not surprised, what I would expect out of a stock vsport when under that abuse. Any videos?
The experience was about what I expected.
The report was to give some reliable info to the forum members from a road race track.

Sold my track/race cars in 2005 and concentrate on Bonneville SpeedWeek for fun, first in cars and now bikes that I build.

·
Registered
2010 CTS-V M6 and 2013 ATS 3.6L Premium
64 Posts
Thanks for the post. I told myself when I can get a vsport for $40K (premium), I'm going to pull the trigger. I enjoy my 2010 CTS-V but getting 11mpg gets old and I really like the new level of luxury in the CTS. I sold my BRZ that I tracked and looking to pick up an S2000 for fun. I'll probably take the Vsport at least once to the track to see what it can do.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I tracked mine last year as well. I generally agree with what you reported, but in my case I didn't feel like I lost any power. Air temp was 60s when I was out though, which may have kept it cool. The brakes are not up for track duty. Mine overheated pretty bad. The stock pads are for street duty - not surprised they don't work on the track. But like you said, I'm not sure the rest of the brakes would keep up with track pads. Still, overall I was really impressed. Considering this isn't the all-out performance model, it did really well. I was keeping up with C5 Z06s in the straights and went through the turns faster than I thought I could! Oh and yes the stock Pirellis are really terrible tires - not good on street or track.

·
Registered
2014 CTS Vsport Premium
51 Posts
@hedrives: I'm interested in the trifecta tune. What's your opinion of the before/after? Did you get the tune that keeps tour mode stock?

P.s TWS is literally in my back yard wish I would have known about the track day. I would love to take car to track and learn just how much I don't know about this car.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@RealtorSteve The Trifecta tune (my year old tune was not the stock-tour mode but I've since reflashed with that version) is really nice.

The event I was running was a reunion/thank you event for all current and old Lone Star Region Porsche Club instructors. So, it was closed to typical HPDE entrants. TWS is NOW staying open through year-end, so sign up for an event (LSRPCA, Driver's Edge, etc) and run your car. It's fun and will teach you a ton about the CTSvsport.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts