Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys , I keep seeing RobertCTS mention TonyA parts . What and where are they . Is there a web site or a local store that may carry them. Thanks , Rich

·
Registered
22,415 Posts
rich9426 said:
Hey guys , I keep seeing RobertCTS mention TonyA parts . What and where are they . Is there a web site or a local store that may carry them. Thanks , Rich
Rich,
The Mod is now listed in the FAQ section.
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/tonya-ram/index.html

This Mod is based around the Fram AirHog(PPA7597) and uses the same medium material as the Volant and the K&N. This total mod cost less than $50 vs $270 Volant and it doubles the available air intake while providing a ram boost at speed. It's a DIY delite.
If you have any questions let me know.
Bob

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Basically, it's named after a forum member who came up with it . . . TonyA2. Since the CTS air filter has a rectangular panel in the middle of a funky shaped piece of plastic that centers it in the airbox, he found a cotton gauze filter that would fit the center filter medium. You have to cut out the center rectangular section of filter and drop in a Fram AirHog (K&N panel filter also works) from an Oldsmobile mini-van (which happens to have the correct dimensions). The other part of the mod is allowing more air into the stock airbox itself, now that the filter flows better. You have to be comfortable cutting a 3" hole (I cut a 2" x 5" rectangular hole along the gridlines for a more 'factory' look) and swiss cheese the inner grid of your factory airbox. You will definitely hear a more throaty sound and feel a slightly more aggressive acceleration.

It's all in the FAQ, with pictures.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Has anyone had this mod for a while? Is there any risk of sucking water (like when its raining or you hit a puddle) or any other debris in that could cause damage to the filter or other intake components? What implications does this mod have on the warranty? Last of all, I havent had a chance to pull my airbox out to investigate this myself so does anyone know if the procedure changes when dealing with an '03 with the 3.2L, or is just the same as whats posted in the FAQ's?

·
Registered
22,415 Posts
DDS rollin a CTS said:
Has anyone had this mod for a while? Is there any risk of sucking water (like when its raining or you hit a puddle) or any other debris in that could cause damage to the filter or other intake components? What implications does this mod have on the warranty? Last of all, I havent had a chance to pull my airbox out to investigate this myself so does anyone know if the procedure changes when dealing with an '03 with the 3.2L, or is just the same as whats posted in the FAQ's?
RAM-AIR FROM THE FRONT BUMPER IS OLD TECHNOLOGIES FROM THE 60'S. Sorry, cap lock. Water doesn't make hard right vertical climbs. I've had mine for 1 1/2 yrs. Never any problems. Odyesseus has made the mod to the 3.2. Word is that the 3.2 has a bog problem and the TonyA eliminates it. Procedures for the 3.6 & 3.2 are identical.

·
Banned
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Robert what is the performance comparison to this Mod and the Volant Mod. Did you get better gas mileage and more horse power and was it noticable. I am a little sketchy on the skirt cut out and where it actually is . Can you shed some light on this part of the mod. Thanks , Rich.
RobertCTS said:
RAM-AIR FROM THE FRONT BUMPER IS OLD TECHNOLOGIES FROM THE 60'S. Sorry, cap lock. Water doesn't make hard right vertical climbs. I've had mine for 1 1/2 yrs. Never any problems. Odyesseus has made the mod to the 3.2. Word is that the 3.2 has a bog problem and the TonyA eliminates it. Procedures for the 3.6 & 3.2 are identical.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Theres a thread "Great Intake Face-off" or something like that where several people said they were going to try the different intakes on a dyno, but none of them have run the tests as of yet.

·
Registered
22,415 Posts
rich9426 said:
Hey Robert what is the performance comparison to this Mod and the Volant Mod. Did you get better gas mileage and more horse power and was it noticable. I am a little sketchy on the skirt cut out and where it actually is . Can you shed some light on this part of the mod. Thanks , Rich.
I used a 3" hole saw and hand drill. Hold tight as the saw really bites into those ribs. The best advise that I can give you is to count the horizontal and vertical ribs to locate the center for your drill bit. I saved my cut out. I can glue it back in if needed when I sell it. Here's a pic of the 3" cut out.
Edit: In looking at that pic it won't enlarge.:mad:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
i did a 3" round cut as well. the drill bit for the circular round cut lines up in the intersection of 2 ribs so it's not as diffucult to line up as you think...

i have an 03 3.2 also and did the mod. it works fine right now, only reason i'm taking it out is because i got a volant for a good price...i'll hang on to it for alittle if i don't care for the volant.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
:hmm:

I dont know about the Volante, but I believe that the K&N FIPK as well as the K&N Aircharger intakes replace the entire intake system from the air box to the motor, is this the case? If so, what do these systems do about components which are removed when you replace the stock intake? On the 03 CTS, the air tube turns 90 degrees as it leaves the airbox to travel straight down to the floor of the engine compartment. It then turns 90 degrees again to travel across. From this transverse tube branch 2 tubes which then travel straight up directly in front of the engine before turning once more to enter the engine. Along the course of these tubes I noticed at least two sensors, what do these do? There also appears to be some sort of valve between the two vertical tubes near the engine, what does this do? I remember seeing in the K&N catalogue that some of thier intake kits may defeat some of the vehicles emissions control systems, is there any harm done to the vehicle in removing these components? Finally, do these aftermarket intakes that I mentioned above take the same convoluted path to the motor, or are they routed more directly. I didnt notice see much that could be blocking a more direct path so I'm a little confused why the stock intake is routed like it is. Sorry for the multiple questions, I just want to know what everything does before I cut holes in my airbox or throw down $200+ for a new intake system. If I can get my digital camera to work, I'll try to post some pics to help clear up confusion about what parts I'm refering to.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
The 3.2L Volant does not include a new intake tube. You simply unbolt your Mass Airflow Sensor (on the factory Airbox) and bolt it to the Volant. The tubes your talking about are in the pic below, from the CTS Partslist on the FAQ.

There is also a picture of my TonyA modded airbox with a rectangular hole. It looks much more 'factory' than a round hole, IMHO. I had mine of for a year and never had any problems with sucking in water, but then again, I don't drive up to the bumper in lakes. LOL

When I went to the V front bumper, the lower intake vent is no longer there, so I switched to a Volant, which has an intake 'snorkel' next to the radiator for the same effect. The Volant and the TonyA perform about the same during the 'seat of the pants' testing. The dyno runs will show if there are any differences between them. There is most definitely a difference between them and a factory non-modified airbox. They both got rid of a low-end 'bog' that frustrated me. Both flow way more than the 300 CFM the engine requires at redline.

And lastly, for reference is the filter after over 30,000 miles without cleaning. As you can see, the TonyA mod spreads the air over more of the filter.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Sorry guys, I just wanted to make absoutely sure I wasnt going to f*** anything up with this conversion vs the aftermarket kits (hey, my cars my baby, I get paranoid).

FYI, I was looking around online and on the FRAM website, theres a part listed (#CA9459) as being a replacement for the stock airfilter.

http://cpgcatalog.honeywell.com/cpg/catalog/fram/partlist.jsp?formname=four&year=2003&make=CADILLAC&model=CTS

I'm going to stop by the store tomorrow to see what it looks like. It might make that TonyA mod a little easier and cheaper - its on sale at the Advance Autoparts website for $18!

·
Registered
22,415 Posts
DDS rollin a CTS said:
Sorry guys, I just wanted to make absoutely sure I wasnt going to f*** anything up with this conversion vs the aftermarket kits (hey, my cars my baby, I get paranoid).

FYI, I was looking around online and on the FRAM website, theres a part listed (#CA9459) as being a replacement for the stock airfilter.

http://cpgcatalog.honeywell.com/cpg/catalog/fram/partlist.jsp?formname=four&year=2003&make=CADILLAC&model=CTS

I'm going to stop by the store tomorrow to see what it looks like. It might make that TonyA mod a little easier and cheaper - its on sale at the Advance Autoparts website for $18!
It has to be the AirHog. The filter medium is red. Costs about $40

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Put your mind at ease. I first got the instructions from Robert following all the steps. On my attempt I overcut the OEM filter and my Fram Air Hog wouldn't fit nice, but at least I could buy a new one(which I did - now a perfect fit). Take your time on the drilling of the holes. There's a lot of satisfaction on the completion and the low cost of it. Thanks Robert and TonyA!!!

I too over protect my third child(my CTS) so says my wife :histeric:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
HOLY S***!!!

I installed the TonyA this afternoon. Took the car out for a bit of a test drive tonight and there is now a significant improvement in response when I stomp on the gas from before. Under hard accelleration the engine makes a much more aggressive growl throughout the rpm range, especially in the lower RPMs (but it still sounds pretty close to stock under more sensible throttle inputs). Currently I am still using the stock air filter (and a rather dirty one at that) b/c it got dark out while I was drilling holes in the airbox. I'll probably finish modifying the filter sunday and will update on the overall effect then.

I must say this to those still using a stock intake - you have no idea what youre missing until you try it. As I have it set up now, the mod was "free" so it doesnt take a $200+ intake kit to see noticable results.

·
Registered
22,415 Posts
DDS rollin a CTS said:
HOLY S***!!!

I installed the TonyA this afternoon. Took the car out for a bit of a test drive tonight and there is now a significant improvement in response when I stomp on the gas from before. Under hard accelleration the engine makes a much more aggressive growl throughout the rpm range, especially in the lower RPMs (but it still sounds pretty close to stock under more sensible throttle inputs). Currently I am still using the stock air filter (and a rather dirty one at that) b/c it got dark out while I was drilling holes in the airbox. I'll probably finish modifying the filter sunday and will update on the overall effect then.

I must say this to those still using a stock intake - you have no idea what youre missing until you try it. As I have it set up now, the mod was "free" so it doesnt take a $200+ intake kit to see noticable results.
You're not coming to the Ohio Meet with a dirty air filter are you?:rant2:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
6 Participants
RobertCTS