Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2010 SRX
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that winter is finally over I will soon make an appointment for the safety recall from last fall re: rear suspension jam nut torque.

I'm curious to know how many SRX owners actually had a problem found, how long it took, and any residual issues that may have occurred afterward as a result ofthe dealer's tinkering with it.

I've had no symptoms as described in the recall, and the adage ' if it ain't broke...' plays in my head.

thanks

·
Registered
2012 SRX Performance FWD
1,599 Posts
Well, I never noticed my chrometech rear wheels popping until after I had this recall done. I don't know if they tightened anything or not (even though it says on the invoice they did), but they and GM claim it s the glue holding the plastic chrome cap making noise. I do not fully believe that it is. All I know is GM claims it is normal and I am pissed about it. Three month old wheels should not be making ANY noise!

They are required to "perform" the recall, so tell them not to tighten anything that is already tight.

·
Registered
14 SRX Luxury
613 Posts
I took mine in for that recall and they had it maybe 20 minutes. They didn't say if the issue was causing any problems and I haven't noticed any problems caused by them messing with it.

·
Registered
2010 SRX
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, consumer reports said it's a big mistake to avoid a recall. YET... it's a 2010 with 59K and drives like a dream. I'm conflicted between doing the right thing for peace of mind and going to a place that may cause an arse ache. Kinda like drilling a tooth that doesn't hurt.

·
Registered
11 SRX + (74 Eldorado Back in the day)
55 Posts
If the bolt comes loose, there can be free play and the wobble may strip the bolt. End result will not be pretty, as the rod that helps hold the back tire in alignment won't be doing its job.

I really don't want a rear tire without all mounts doing there job. Who knows what will happen to handling if one tire is allowed to point NOT FOWRARD.

The down side on this recall in NONE. They check if tight and if so, so nothing. If loose, Check for damage to the shaft and replace parts back to factory original.

Have it done. It is safer and don't want to hurt yourself or someone else if comes loose. Plus if comes loose and hurts someone else, are you responsible because you choose to not have a safety recall done? Just do it.

·
Registered
11 SRX + (74 Eldorado Back in the day)
55 Posts
No, it is just a lock nut on the shaft that keeps shaft from turning. Over tightening a lock nut is rare and would be close to impossible with a torque wrench. On the scale of risk for them f'ing something up that is OK already, this one is really really low. Have it done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts