Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK All,
I was going to post this when it happened but was just too damn sick to even bring myself to discuss the situation.
2 Weeks ago, I'm driving home from work and hear what I think is a possible exhaust leak. The CTS was recently rearended and the new V-exhaust was put on by welding just behind the o2 sensors. Nonetheless, I figure a weld had broke loose....but it got LOUDER. Somehow, I managed to get the car home and got out to have a listen. The KNOCK wad a "Deep Engine" knock.
Bad Friggin News!
I pull the dipstick and ....are you ready for this NO OIL!
I had about 2500 miles on the oil and have been religious of 3k Mobile 1 changes. I knew for a fact that I have put the full ammount of oil in and I am not an idiot with cars. I never thought that a Caddy with 57K would require checking the oil on a regular basis.
I got a 5 qt jug of cheap oil just to see exactly how low it was. It took all 5 quarts!
I could go on but short story is that she was towed to my local dealer.
Now, I mentioned that she has 57K on her which put her out of warranty....yes I did not have extended coverage on it.
Dealer took a look at it and confirmed my worst fears....Blown Motor!
I had a number of questions such as:
1. Where did the oil go? > No leaks anywhere!
2. Idiot lights? > Not 1 time did a low oil level or pressure warning go off.
3. How poor is this gonna make me? No warranty= 100% My $$$$$

Let me just say, my dealer was PHENOMENAL with this whole situation!
They agreed with me on all accounts and acted as an advocate for my behalf with Cadillac. Cadillac covered a NEW CRATE MOTOR 100%. The only thing I paid for was the rental car for about 2 weeks.
Diagnosis stated that the #4 rod bearing spun and basically destroyed the entire motor. No explaination on where the oil went and/or why the idiot lights did not fire to warn of a problem.

Needless to say, I am very grateful to have a brand new '05 CTS with 120 miles on it. Everything else is basically new from the brakes, rotors, entire suspension, and exhaust! So it's an '05 with 57K on the body and the transmission. Lucky I am, but take away this. Always check that oil!

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Interesting that I had a discussion with a srv mgr at a big Chevy dealership 2 days ago. I told him that my boss had oil changed on a 99 or so Acura RL, and the Acura dealership forgot to put the new oil in engine.

Chevy dealership said that problem would quickly be identified today in GM cars because of all the horns, lights, etc (indicating no oil).

Are you sure about no warnings on dash???

Just curious.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Checking oil is easy, even a caveman could do it.:)
We must differentiate between checking the oil and refilling it. About 10 years ago, my 2 teenagers called me asking where to put the power steering fluid. They were trying to put it in engine. Sad part is I am a dang good shade tree mechanic. One son is a musician; other flies AWACS--navigator. While they are great kids, they do not know how to put gas in car--almost.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS, Black Raven. Name: Car-los
3,201 Posts
OK All,
I was going to post this when it happened but was just too damn sick to even bring myself to discuss the situation.
2 Weeks ago, I'm driving home from work and hear what I think is a possible exhaust leak. The CTS was recently rearended and the new V-exhaust was put on by welding just behind the o2 sensors. Nonetheless, I figure a weld had broke loose....but it got LOUDER. Somehow, I managed to get the car home and got out to have a listen. The KNOCK wad a "Deep Engine" knock.
Bad Friggin News!
I pull the dipstick and ....are you ready for this NO OIL!
I had about 2500 miles on the oil and have been religious of 3k Mobile 1 changes. I knew for a fact that I have put the full ammount of oil in and I am not an idiot with cars. I never thought that a Caddy with 57K would require checking the oil on a regular basis.
I got a 5 qt jug of cheap oil just to see exactly how low it was. It took all 5 quarts!
I could go on but short story is that she was towed to my local dealer.
Now, I mentioned that she has 57K on her which put her out of warranty....yes I did not have extended coverage on it.
Dealer took a look at it and confirmed my worst fears....Blown Motor!
I had a number of questions such as:
1. Where did the oil go? > No leaks anywhere!
2. Idiot lights? > Not 1 time did a low oil level or pressure warning go off.
3. How poor is this gonna make me? No warranty= 100% My $$$$$

Let me just say, my dealer was PHENOMENAL with this whole situation!
They agreed with me on all accounts and acted as an advocate for my behalf with Cadillac. Cadillac covered a NEW CRATE MOTOR 100%. The only thing I paid for was the rental car for about 2 weeks.
Diagnosis stated that the #4 rod bearing spun and basically destroyed the entire motor. No explaination on where the oil went and/or why the idiot lights did not fire to warn of a problem.

Needless to say, I am very grateful to have a brand new '05 CTS with 120 miles on it. Everything else is basically new from the brakes, rotors, entire suspension, and exhaust! So it's an '05 with 57K on the body and the transmission. Lucky I am, but take away this. Always check that oil!
im confused, they gave you a new 05 cts with 120K miles on it? when did this happen?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No warnings or lights EVER came on. As ridiculous as this may sound, the dealer was able to pull the computer and verify it. I believe that this was the reason that the engine was covered 100%.

I am having a discussion about the findings today with the service director and I should have a better explaination on what actually happened. I am most mystified by the disappearing of 5 qts of oil in less than 3000 mi.

·
Registered
Check out my CTS here: http://www.fquick.com/FL01SS
1,651 Posts
Wow! I glad for you that they gave you a new engine!!! That's awsome!

·
Registered
Cadillac
10 Posts
Thanks for all the good information for when I go speak to the dealer again. For me, the first warning I received was driving back from vacation when my check engine light came on. When I called On-Star from my car, they indicated 5 engine error messages, but not an oil problem. Long story short, after I brought it to the dealer, they told me I was low on oil (3qtrs). I've burned another quart since this. Besides the check engine light, should another indicator have come on? At the time, the oil life still had 30%. Just looking for as much input as possible for when I go speak with the dealer.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS - 2005
93 Posts
You've still got another problem - there's an oil pressure sensor and an oil level sensor, both on the engine. They're not the same sensor. Either one should have initiated an error signal for engine this oil problem, which you say did not happen. This means that engine errors are not being detected, and that's like driving in the dark without lights.

·
Registered
41,009 Posts
That's exactly what you're looking for. OIL. Make sure it hasn't dropped below the "fill" line on your dipstick. :lol:

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Where is this son station and what squadron?
I am embarrassed to admit that I don't know the squadron, but he is in Germany. Due for orders in next few weeks. Not sure if he will return to US of A or go back to middle east.

Thanks for asking.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
GM will use its 'customer appreciation' efforts to correct drivetrain problems when car is out of warranty. Just remember to ask service mgr for HELP. Abusing the service mgr will frequently close the gate for assistance.

GM gave me a new rear end on a 2000 Trans Am when it was at 52k miles. Car orig had a 3/36 warr.

Proper thing to do is to reward that shop with goodies on an occasional basis.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
No warnings or lights EVER came on. As ridiculous as this may sound, the dealer was able to pull the computer and verify it. I believe that this was the reason that the engine was covered 100%.

I am having a discussion about the findings today with the service director and I should have a better explaination on what actually happened. I am most mystified by the disappearing of 5 qts of oil in less than 3000 mi.
Please post the name of your dealer! We hear too many horror stories, I think they deserve the positive pub...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts