Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought my 2005 CTS 3.6 was ok in the snow. Its not..but not as bad as the 325I's i saw littering the parkway north today. The traction simply stayed on the whole ride up from 160 to 172 (montvale). I got stuck on a hill and someone jerk cut me off. Forcing me to swerve to the right and doing a 180 on river road in Hackensack,NJ.

Anyway..anyone can recommend snow tires. I m to pissed to search. And can these tires be used all year around ...kind of a dumb question..never thought i would invest in snow tires...

·
Registered
63 Posts
it's not the snow that's screwin' me up, it's the cold roads with a bit of ice on top. The tail wants to step out when starting from a dead stop, not sure if it is me, the traction control, or the stability control that catches it before its a full-fledged slide. Not really scary, just a little more fun than I'm used to lately!

With the manual tranny, it's a little more of a challenge I think. Gotta learn to stay out of 1st gear!

There are lots of good snow tires, I'm getting Michelin Pilot Alpin's installed tomorrow. Dunlop Winter Sport M3's and Bridgestone Blizzak LM25's are highly rated as well. Stick with an "H" rated tire or better to keep the handling somewhat crisp. Hankook Ice Bear 300's are budget tires that get get great reviews, and will save you as much as $300 on a set of four. Alot of places will store your summer tires for ~$20 if you get the snows from them. Check tirerack.com (or in Canada tiretrends.com) to see reviews and pricing.

·
Registered
CTS 3.6L 5sp Auto Silver Smoke with Neutral Interior
998 Posts
The CTS's TCS is not really the strongest or most sensitive system around. It works wonders when its dry, but when its slick it don't work well at all.

I was driving to a dinner party on a rainy night with a co-worker and was trying to make a left hand turn and catch the light before it changed (i was sort of speeding... nothing crazy) and the entire rearend starts to fishtail and it looks like I'm drifting around this corner like a pro.

It would have been sweet, if I meant to do it, but I am like the youngest guy in the clinic (and the only one with just a bachelor's degree, everyone else has an MD), so it kinda made me look like some punk kid driving crazy.

I aint complaining, just wondering why it didn't kick in... and I have 245 series tires.

My only advice is to drive slower..? (Coreyn- Snow tires could only help)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trust me i was doing at best 15 mph..i was freaked out because the car did so much better last year..im not one to speed and tailgate like half the other asses in NJ!

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V, 2001 Honda Shadow Sabre
1,640 Posts
7.5" of snow here last night, only got stuck once...in a parking lot...ever so slight incline was just too much...then again i was trying to start and the lot had not been plowed so it was that churned up sh*t from all the other cars driving through...just backed up about 10 feet and tried again...worked like a charm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts