Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
06 CTS-V
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
that is the question?
my borla exhaust will be here this week, should i get it welded? or just use the clamps?
should i install it first then get a muffler shop to weld it?
would that be easier/ cheaper?

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
that is the question?
my borla exhaust will be here this week, should i get it welded? or just use the clamps?
should i install it first then get a muffler shop to weld it?
would that be easier/ cheaper?
The install is a fairly easy DIY Tommy. The clamps eventually loosen up after a while and you get some rattles. It appears you own a welder. I'd clamp it and drive it so see if you get any noises or banging from the install. Then I'd weld it. Can you weld stainless? Your OEM pipes are aluminized steel. Not sure how that works with stainless. I have a welder too but I let the pro weld my Corsa.

·
Registered
06 CTS-V
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no i don't own a welder, i'd get the muffler shop to do it. i know you can weld stainless, i've purchased stainless steel welding rod before. good call though, weld if i get rattles or leaks.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
no i don't own a welder, i'd get the muffler shop to do it. i know you can weld stainless, i've purchased stainless steel welding rod before. good call though, weld if i get rattles or leaks.
I'd ask them if you can bring it back in a few days for the weld. You might get it for free. If they charge extra I'd wait and see if you really need it later.

·
Registered
06 CTS-V
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ya, i will be installing the exhaust myself. i'm kinda wondering if the muffler shop will piss and moan if i ask them to weld it after i already installed?

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
ya, i will be installing the exhaust myself. i'm kinda wondering if the muffler shop will piss and moan if i ask them to weld it after i already installed?
They shouldn't if there's a chance they can make a few bucks.

Got 4 good jack stands? You need to get the CTS up high so you have elbow room to work.

·
Registered
06 CTS-V
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i got 2, i'll pick up two more this week. man sometimes i wish i had a lift, and a garage for that matter.

·
Registered
Cadillac
141 Posts
i got 2, i'll pick up two more this week. man sometimes i wish i had a lift, and a garage for that matter.
Hi there, For the time and money that you are going to spend going and buying the jacks, putting it up in the air, and installing the exhaust, you are probably better off just taking it in and having it prof. done. It only takes us about an hour to install an exhaust so I can imagine anywhere being much longer than that. Then, if you have any problems or rattling all you need to do is take it back to the shop. No worries... I personally am willing to pay a little more for convienence, it's totally up to you though.

·
Registered
06 CTS-V
2,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i know, i'm not rying to be cheap(well maybe alittle) but i do like the satisfaction of doing things my self. i get to know my car better everytime i do something to it. plus if it does cause me problems i can always get it welded after the fact.

·
Registered
Cadillac
141 Posts
i know, i'm not rying to be cheap(well maybe alittle) but i do like the satisfaction of doing things my self. i get to know my car better everytime i do something to it. plus if it does cause me problems i can always get it welded after the fact.
You being happy with the results is the most important thing... I can appreciate the satisfaction factor. Good Luck, let us know how it goes.
-Tony

1 - 10 of 10 Posts