Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I just bought our first Cadillac, an Escalade ESV Platinum, white with 10k miles and is Certified. Pretty excited about flying my 2 boys and I to Chicago next weekend to pick up and drive home. My first questions weather to undercoat it or not? We live in Maine and live with the calcium chloride on our roads about 5 months of the year. My 03' F350 with 200k miles is quickly turning into a rust bucket and I don't want that to happen to a vehicle that was $101k new and is in pristine condition. So what do the masses say? Spray undercoat with the black goopy stuff? Fluid film? Or sans coating? I'm all ears. Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,651 Posts
Chicago is no great shakes when it comes to aggressive road ice treatments, either. You could have the underside thoroughly washed and do a Ziebart or film treatment. It's stopgap at best, because the "steel" used in some of our cars is of lousy quality.

I had a Ziebart job done on a new 1985 Ford station wagon for Mom and when she traded it 13 years later it was still clean and tight underneath. Used vehicle - results may vary.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ziebart is who the Cadillac dealer (Ettleson) uses. $599 for a cleaning and then coating. Called my nearby Caddy dealer and he said it was a double edged sword as the undercoating and Fluid Film both dry out anything rubber and will void the warranty on those parts if a failure is due to the drying out process. He suggested waiting a couple of years and see how washing the underside with a high pressure hose works. Then can always undercoat if it looks like you're starting to lose the battle. Thank for the reply Sub!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently purchased a NY 17 Escalade and the frame looked rusted as well as the wheel wells. Very low miles so it didn’t make sense other than being from upstate NY and the harsh salt roads. I asked my dealer and they said there was a bulletin on this issue. They removed the peeling and resealed it with kyrptonite. Warranty covered it! Maybe that helps!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I recently purchased a NY 17 Escalade and the frame looked rusted as well as the wheel wells. Very low miles so it didn’t make sense other than being from upstate NY and the harsh salt roads. I asked my dealer and they said there was a bulletin on this issue. They removed the peeling and resealed it with kyrptonite. Warranty covered it! Maybe that helps!
I will check with the dealer tomorrow. Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts